The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-10-2010, 01:21 AM

Default Baranik build starting up - Pictures

Mike is starting on it now! Here are the stats:
Meridian Concert
Cocobolo with sap Back and Sides
Carpathian Spruce top
Cutaway
Blackwood Binding Black/Satinwood/Black Purfling Spalted Maple Accents Martin 25.4" scale length 1 25/32" nut 2 1/4" saddle
Pinless Ebony Bridge
Blackwood/Cocobolo Headstock Blackwood/Cocobolo Rosette
Sideport

Photos as we progress.

Jenn

Last edited by jennconducts; 08-13-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:31 AM

Hey Jenn - sounds awesome! What cool selection of woods - I can't wait to see pictures!

Just a heads up - this will probably get moved to the custom forum soon.

Picotte 12 Fret Dread - German Spruce/Claro Walnut
Taylor Custom GC6 - Sitka/Flamed Maple
Martin Custom 000-15sm All Genuine Mahogany
Cordoba C12 Limited - Euro Spruce/ Madi Rosewood
Old 08-10-2010, 05:02 AM
happiness

Yes indeed, moved to the Custom Shop area as the appropriate area of the forum for custom builds. It sounds like a very exciting build, please do keep us posted especially when you have photos to share

Fliss
Old 08-10-2010, 06:11 AM
*mahoganut*

Been looking forward to this one, Jenn - as I know you have! I'll be following with high interest!

Phil
Old 08-10-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
Yes indeed, moved to the Custom Shop area as the appropriate area of the forum for custom builds. It sounds like a very exciting build, please do keep us posted especially when you have photos to share

Fliss
Opps, sorry, that's where I meant to put it. The dangers of posting too late at night! Thanks for moving.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Been looking forward to this one, Jenn - as I know you have! I'll be following with high interest!

Phil
Thanks, Phil.

Hey, I was in your neck of the woods 2 weeks ago, for a sad reason. My Dad passed away in Chelsea and we were there for the services, etc. Had the trip been for a happier reason, I would have arranged a meet up.

I hadn't been there since we buried my Mom in '06, and before that it had been some 30 years. So different than life here in CA. Town of 2000, probably a third of them somehow related to me. Our hotel room had a map of Route 66 painted on the wall. I had somehow forgotten the humidity and the chiggers!

Best,
Jenn

Last edited by jennconducts; 08-10-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
Thanks, Phil.

Hey, I was in your neck of the woods 2 weeks ago, for a sad reason. My Dad passed away in Chelsea and we were there for the services, etc. Had the trip been for a happier reason, I would have arranged a meet up.

I hadn't been there since we buried my Mom in '06, and before that it had been some 30 years. So different than life here in CA. Town of 2000, probably a third of them somehow related to me. Our hotel room had a map of Route 66 painted on the wall. I had somehow forgotten the humidity and the chiggers!

Best,
Jenn
Jenn,

Very sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Sending you wishes for peace and joy in the coming days, weeks, and years.

I know Chelsea - my wife was head of the choral program there for some years. We lived just south of the lake - Oologah. Will Rogers country.

We'll save some humidity for you for your next visit!

Of course, October in Oklahoma is fabulous!
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=191359

Phil
Old 08-13-2010, 10:42 PM

First pictures!

http://tinyurl.com/26xexco

Jenn
Old 08-14-2010, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that is some wild looking cocobolo and a gorgeous top. I'm sure you are just as anxious as I am to get your paws on your Meridian, but watching the build progress is always exciting.

How did you decide on that wood combination?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:57 AM
*mahoganut*

Nice woods! Mike's cocobolo guitars are always exciting.

Phil
Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Wow, that is some wild looking cocobolo and a gorgeous top. I'm sure you are just as anxious as I am to get your paws on your Meridian, but watching the build progress is always exciting.

How did you decide on that wood combination?
Yes, I'm very excited to say the least! The estimate is that I'll have it in 6 weeks.

I like both the sound and the look of cocobolo, especially what Mike does with it. My other Baranik (which I bought used) is cocobolo with cedar. I also chose a set with sap because I like that look (my present Baranik doesn't have any). I chose Carpathian on Mike's advice because he knows that I like the sound of Adirondack, and he thinks that the sound of Carpathian is a good alternative due to the availability of good sets, price, break-in time, etc. I chose a very nice set with some bearclaw, but after hearing and playing his most recently completed Carpathian instrument and loving it so much, we changed to a "sister" set of that guitar, which has a little wider grain pattern.

Exciting!

Jenn
Old 08-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Jenn,
I traveled into the future to get a picture of your finished guitar.

Oh wait, my mistake. That's my Baranik JX with the sister set of Cocobolo to yours. As you can see, it is going to be pretty spectacular looking. I know that it is supposed to be all about tone and playability, and with a Baranik you get both in spades, but, it sure is fun to hear people gasp when you take your guitar out of its case. : )

LC

Last edited by El Conquistador; 08-14-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 AM

How would you guys say Mike's Cx,Jx and Meridian concert shapes compare? Does the Cx lose a lot of bass and volume when compared to the other 2?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:07 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifcowscouldfly View Post
How would you guys say Mike's Cx,Jx and Meridian concert shapes compare? Does the Cx lose a lot of bass and volume when compared to the other 2?
Christian,

I don't know if you saw it, but I made a few comments and put up a few pics on your other Baranik thread: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...74#post2315174

While the JX is a bit larger in the lower bout, contributing to some increased bass (some JX owners will have to chime in here), I can tell you that neither CX nor the Meridian are lacking. They are very balanced across the tonal range, and I love ending a song with a low open string because it fills the space. Not so on some other guitars which do lack a substantial bottom end, for me.

Mike's easy to talk to: 805.769.8686 or [email protected].

Best,

Phil
Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM

Default Baranik

My CX has a better low end response than either of the 2 JX models i owned previously it is also louder,so I guess it may come down to the wood used.
Whatever you choose you will not be disappointed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop