The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 PM

Default Rainsong APSE, any 14 fret equivalent?

I was completely blown away by the Rainsong APSE the other day. It looks great but sounds even better. It was warm, clear and complex. The neck played great with no noticeable dead spots. It lacked a little bass for me and I really miss the 20 fret neck and the upper access. I am looking for 1 guitars to play for everything and without at least 19 frets, I can't play some songs I wrote.

I see other Rainsongs come with a 21 fret neck and that there are size choices. But are there any as warm, clear and complex (at the same time) as the APSE? Can you even get that without the 12 fret neck and short scale? Clear is easy, but warm, clear and complex is not!

I should add that color isn't all that important to me. The Sunburst was very nice but I am on a budget. The acoustic tone is much more important to me than any other factor.

Last edited by Carbonius; 01-03-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 PM

The APSE appears to be a Shorty, with unidirectional soundboard and fancy paintjob.

Presumably what you would want would be either an OM, or WS with a unidirectional soundboard. That would normally be the Concert series.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-02-2017, 09:54 PM

You've just described a OM-sized RainSong Concert model. It won't have the Tobacco Burst finish, and it comes with different electronics installed, but the all-carbon-fiber body and unidirectional top should be the same. It will just have a 14-fret neck. (Though you can get it with a 12-fret neck—that's what I have.)

However, you might well be able to order it with a Tobacco Burst finish (or the blue Marine Burst), and I know you could order it without any electronics and have the Stage Pro Anthem (or any other pickup system) installed later.

Email Dave at RainSong and ask. He's extremely helpful. And you don't have to ask for Dave—he handles their support and customer service.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:09 AM

I should have mentioned that color wasn't all that important in my initial post. I have amended it now. Don't get me wrong, the Finish looks awesome! It's just that I'm on a budget and it looks like I could get the guitar for a lot less with a basic finish.

I didn't know you could order the guitar without electronics. I'm really not a fan of barn doors so I will have to look at that option. Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I should have mentioned that color wasn't all that important in my initial post. I have amended it now. Don't get me wrong, the Finish looks awesome! It's just that I'm on a budget and it looks like I could get the guitar for a lot less with a basic finish.

I didn't know you could order the guitar without electronics. I'm really not a fan of barn doors so I will have to look at that option. Thanks for the idea.
Yup. I ordered my Shorty as a pure acoustic. Had a K&K professionally installed after I got it. Think it took an extra 2 weeks.

Talk with Ted.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-03-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Yep, you can order without electronics- I had to wait nearly 10 weeks for mine because RainSong was so backed up when I put in the request. Michael at MacNichol sweetened the deal for me because I chose him for my dealer and had to wait so long. Ended up installing a K&K and I'm very happy with my decision.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:39 AM

On the other hand, I got my OM Concert 12-fret (without electronics) in about 3 weeks, after being told to expect a 6-8 week wait. I certainly can't promise you the same, but you may not have to wait quite as long as steelvibe.

If the finish is not a big deal to you, I would mention that I love the look of my unidirectional carbon fiber top. One thing I forgot to mention is that you would also get the shark inlays in the fretboard if you order the Concert. Hope that's not a problem for you... they're a big part of why I ordered a Concert rather than a Shorty.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Since MacNichol has been out of the retail business for over a year now, Steelvibe's delivery delay may no longer be relevant. Ted can chime in on current turnaround times from Rainsong lately.

They are not for everyone, but I just LOVE the shark inlays! My Rainsong would not be the same without them. But I've been scuba diving with white tip reef sharks in Hawaii so.......
Old 01-03-2017, 01:47 PM

Although they look cool, I am not a shark inlay fan. I am on a budget so I am happy to pay less. I look forward to whatever Ted would add. I am not totally against barn doors, is just limits your future options. However it's not a deal breaker for me, especially if there's no savings or if they actually charge more without electronics.

I started another Rainsong thread for other Rainsong questions not related to this specific topic. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=454968
Old 01-03-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:

The APSE with a standard 14-fret, long scale neck is the CO-OM1000N2 with Fishman Prefix Plus T, or the CO-OM1100N2 without electronics. You can add the burst finish to any Rainsong, but it will be full gloss instead of the satin finish Al likes. If you have a Rainsong dealer near you, give the standard 14-fret OM a try to see how you like it.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Ted is the Rainsong expert....
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 PM

But isn't the electronics a huge part of how the guitar sounds when plugged in? If someone likes the way it sounds with the LR Baggs or Fishman in it, how does the sound change when installing a K&K? I have a K&K Trinity system in an Everett I own, and am thinking of the APSE for daily use because of the construction, size and sound. If the LR Baggs is out, and K&K is in, how does that change the sound of the guitar when amped through a PA?

Craftydad
Everett Milano P cutaway w K&K Trinity
Everett Custom Alienzo w too many options to mention
Old 01-06-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftydad View Post
But isn't the electronics a huge part of how the guitar sounds when plugged in?
From the OP:

Quote:
The acoustic tone is much more important to me than any other factor.
Of course if the OP would like the Anthem, it can be installed anytime.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber