The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Changing graph tech bridge for rosewood

Thanks to some good advice from Mr Beaumont and Steve De Rosa, I'm in the process of changing the graph tech bridge to rosewood on my Godin 5th Ave. It will be in the shop today for proper installation. But I did a pre test and changed out the bridge to give it a listen and these were my first impressions, it seems the guitar is a little bit louder with the rosewood bridge and a bit brighter, or is it clarity? Not sure. Can't wait for it to be properly fitted and slotted.
Will report back when installation is complete.

Last edited by jricc; 11-07-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:38 PM

Did you get a Stew Mac unit ?

Fitting the plastic bridge was an improvement on mine...
fitting a proper rosewood bridge was mo bettah.

I also jumped up to 13's ( I believe) if not, certainly 12's from the original string which I belive were 10's or 12's.

Anxious to hear your final opinion.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Definitely volume along with clarity and definition (what you call "brighter"), and you'll have even more of all three when the bridge is properly fitted - and thanks for the props...
Old 11-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
Did you get a Stew Mac unit ?

Fitting the plastic bridge was an improvement on mine...
fitting a proper rosewood bridge was mo bettah.

I also jumped up to 13's ( I believe) if not, certainly 12's from the original string which I belive were 10's or 12's.

Anxious to hear your final opinion.
Yeah a Stew-mac, and moving from 11's to 12's... will have it back on Saturday. Let you know then.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Thanks to some good advice from Mr Beaumont and Steve De Rosa, I'm in the process of changing the graph tech bridge to rosewood on my Godin 5th Ave. It will be in the shop today for proper installation. But I did a pre test and changed out the bridge to give it a listen and these were my first impressions, it seems the guitar is a little bit louder with the rosewood bridge and a bit brighter, or is it clarity? Not sure. Can't wait for it to be properly fitted and slotted.
Will report back when installation is complete.
I'm about to do the very same, with the same guitar, with the same rosewood bridge, based on the same advice from the same two guys.... Or maybe this is one of those parallel universe things...

I also tried going to 13s from 12s but didn't like the feel as much, and I guess I really didn't need the greater volume since I'm already using it plugged in. Anyway, looking forward to getting this done, for sure. Although I thought it was fairly easy to do yourself... Hmmmm....

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 11-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I'm about to do the very same, with the same guitar, with the same rosewood bridge, based on the same advice from the same two guys.... Or maybe this is one of those parallel universe things...

Yup... My wife gifted me with a nice rosewood bridge last Christmas. Could not wait to replace the plastic bridge on my Kingpin. To me, the wider foot print of the more expensive bridge is worth the money.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post

I also tried going to 13s from 12s but didn't like the feel as much, and I guess I really didn't need the greater volume since I'm already using it plugged in. Anyway, looking forward to getting this done, for sure. Although I thought it was fairly easy to do yourself... Hmmmm....
Cool, I'll look forward to your comments, I'll pick my guitar up tomorrow, and post mine.

Re :it being a pretty easy job, it probably is, but i'm not very good with that kind of stuff, I'd probably sand right through the guitar's top.
I change strings, tighten up screws and adjust the truss rod. That's about it for me.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:25 PM

Difficulty for me was sticking the tape to the sandpaper. Otherwise.. No big deal. Just go slow and keep a watchful eye.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:47 PM

Why was it difficult ?
Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 PM

Blue tape didn't adhere to the sandpaper very well. Sandpaper is taped to the top of the guitar, where the bridge locates. The bridge is sanded to that contour by moving it back and forth. Poof, the tape lets go.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:15 AM

Yeah, tape doesn't really want to stay stuck. The trick I use is to first apply tape to the BACK... half on/half off the sandpaper... then go ahead & tape the front of the sandpaper (& portion of exposed adhesive ) tight to the guitar.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

OK, I 've had some time to try the 5th Ave with the new rosewood bridge, and a jump from .011 to .012 strings.
Acoustically, it's a little louder, with more clarity, and a rounder more resonant tone. Plugged in, it's again, rounder, warmer.
There's no way I'd go back to the graph tech bridge.

Thanks again go out to Steve De Rosa and mrbeaumont for their advice.

Last edited by jricc; 11-09-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 PM

I was asking why it was difficult as I have fitted a number of archtop bridges over the years and never found it "difficult". Except when you use ACE brand blue tape, it's garbage.

Glad to see you have completed this and seen some improvement.

Last edited by bohemian; 11-10-2013 at 06:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops