The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsanyone View Post
Okay so what is that saying about Men who play them in their parlours?

I did see James Taylor playing one in his guitar vault... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNnuUZ_lSg4
Yup, that particular parlour is probably worth over 10k.

I love parlours. Little awkward to hold for me as I have arms like a chimpanzee but I love the sound. I nearly bought a Larriveé P09 last year, but someone snapped it up before I could.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 AM

Default Macho Men

The odd and very confused turn of this thread to the size of an instrument brings to mind Charlie Daniels (fiddle), Bob Wills (fiddle), plus any one of three killer harp players I know who could re-park my Ford 150 with their bare hands. And my own experience.

Last year I sold a Martin 5-18 through Dusty Strings in Seattle to help generate cash toward a Chasson Auditorium shorter scale. I'd originally bought the 5-18 in the early 80's after seeing a Frets Magazine [I think] cover of Marty Robbins playing one.

I always took that 5-18 on hunting or fishing trips on my motorsailer when I lived in Sitka, Alaska. During the day we would anchor to head up-mountain for meat or cruise out into big water for halibut. At night we'd play music if anchor watch wasn't too demanding. [Austin Nichols was an evening companion.]

At home the guitar would sit close to my living room chair. I discovered a lot of stuff with that little guitar in my hands.

These days the rifles and fishing rods don't get much use. But I desperately miss the parlor size for noodling, etc.

So I'm next on Kent's parlor build list.

Other parlor players are mentioned here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=vlY...guitar&f=false

Last edited by Fliss; 01-09-2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: appropriateness for forum, please check FAQ
Old 01-09-2011, 09:54 AM
Humanist

...and my review of Kent's terrific guitar is located here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=204091
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop