The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Lowden guitars

Anyone have any experience playing Lowden guitars? They're pricey, to be sure.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:13 PM

Lots of us have experience playing (and in many cases, owning) Lowden guitars. They're a highly respected line of instruments, both the factory-made Lowdens and the handbuilts made by Mr. Lowden himself.

What specifically would you like to know about them?

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 AM

The first time I ever heard a Lowden performed live it was by fingerstylist Buzz Turner. I instantly loved the tone. I tried a few new ones in stores and was even more impressed. All things are relative in terms of price. I could not afford a new one. A few years ago, I very cautiously purchased a used S10c built in 2006. It still blows me away every time I pick it up.

DAVE
Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Hello,
from 1996 to date, I've had easily over 200 Lowdens. Does that qualify me?

Seriously, I've had them from all *eras*
I currently own two Downpatrick shop F's,
rosewd/cdr and walnut/cdr.

if I can help, let me know.

Steve
Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM

I love mine , the S-32 , spruce/rosewood. I might get an F , or possibly an O if I were to get another guitar, but the S is what was in the store . Lowdens are a whole other animal than Taylors or Martins, from what little I know ; I just know that nothing else around (Albuquerque, at the time) packed the punch and was as versatile as that little Lowden. Small body but deeper , and much sturdier than the Taylor 812 I traded in (yes, I miss it but have no regrets) . It isn't really anything like a classical guitar but I always kind of think of it that way because of how expressive and responsive it is bare-fingerpicked (no nails). I have to add that it was a case of not quite knowing what I was hearing when I was looking around . The Lowden had a unique sound compared to the 'normal' brands I was used to hearing .It took a while to narrow things down, and there ended up being some things about
it that I decided I wouldn't want to be without, and wasn't really finding in other guitars.

Dar
http://www.soundclick.com/darshelton
(some recordings with it . any track with guitar is all and only guitar)
((warning ! amateur musician content )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop