The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-27-2015, 07:30 PM

Default Emerald X20 Nylon

On Emerald's site I see a video of the X20 nylon but no specs on the site for it, unless my eyes jumped past them. It appears to be similar in construction to a nylon cross-over, which I like and had in a Yamaha NTX1200R I gifted to my son.

Does anyone have any info on this version of the X20? Thanks.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
On Emerald's site I see a video of the X20 nylon but no specs on the site for it, unless my eyes jumped past them. It appears to be similar in construction to a nylon cross-over, which I like and had in a Yamaha NTX1200R I gifted to my son.

Does anyone have any info on this version of the X20? Thanks.
Hello Pitar!!! Perhaps Evan will chip in to correct me, but I think Alistair builds these to order???
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 11-28-2015, 10:16 AM

That would make it a special order but not a custom, right? On the site I did not see the nylon string variant specs described under the X20 Tabs or the Custom tab. The site video of it has a player demo'ing it but, no offense meant, he's not exactly putting it through its paces. I'll see if there's another video on the 'net.

Edit: Nope, a quick look doesn't bring any non-site demos. From what I do hear of it the resonance may be a tad long in decay, which can be a problem with up-tempo pieces. I can control the extension of that but not the shortening of it when plugged, outside of stuffing it with an attenuator (hand towel).

Last edited by Pitar; 11-28-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Guest 928

Pitar;

I could be wrong, but my impression is that special orders with Emerald are all custom. Alistair made my X20-OSN within the general framework of the X20, but my choices included things like the nut width, the scale, the tuners, the color, the headstock, electronics, and so forth--in short, just about all the things a player might want customized.

The X20-OSN is a remarkable instrument; its ergonomic properties are hard to beat, the sound is lush, it's an acoustic that plays very much like an electric, it strums and picks well, and it's beautiful. As you might be able to tell, I think highly of this instrument.

I am not into amassing a collection of guitars and I sold my X20-OSN as a means of ordering yet another custom Emerald.

I think if you continue your search you will find other videos of the instrument.

Enjoy the hunt for your ideal guitar.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:22 PM

EvanB -

Thanks. I'll pursue it further off-site.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:47 AM

I believe that's my x20 you were looking at. The amber nylon with a slotted headstock?

1 7/8 nut
20" radius
12 frets to body, bridge moved lower in the bout
Alistairs custom 'lattice' bracing (my term)
Amber gloss finish
Old 11-29-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
I believe that's my x20 you were looking at. The amber nylon with a slotted headstock?

1 7/8 nut
20" radius
12 frets to body, bridge moved lower in the bout
Alistairs custom 'lattice' bracing (my term)
Amber gloss finish
IMO, that is one of the nicest CF nylon guitars that has ever graced the pages of carbon fiber geekery. Can't remember what forum I saw it at, maybe both? A very cool instrument CFW!
Old 11-29-2015, 12:44 PM

I agree, it is very cool!
This has one of the early necks where Alistair started 'sealing off' the neck, so the hollow neck isn't part of the acoustic chamber.

My hopes for this were to allow the carbon fiber to really allow the higher notes to ring out, which I feel carbon fiber excels at due to its inherent stiffness, however, with the bridge moved lower, and Alistairs 'lattice' bracing, this is a bass cannon.

I had a standard steel string x20, and it did not hold a candle to the volume or quality of bass coming out of this.

I absolutely love this guitar.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 AM

Default Pitar

Private message sent to Pitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber