The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Default So, tell me about your Emerald X7...

I have a RainSong Shorty that I really enjoy, so I do not need to be sold on the advantages of carbon fiber. I would consider myself a relatively traditional guitar guy. I own other wood guitars, and the Shorty fit into "my idea of what a guitar should look like." After getting it, I found the sound was as big a benefit as the ease of owning thanks to C/F.

I admit to not being a big fan of offset sound holes, but some research into the premise makes me believe it isn't just a styling exercise.

I have found, as I um... age (I was going to say "mature", but I am realistic), that I prefer a smaller guitar. I bought a GSmini a few years ago, and was pleased with it as a travel guitar. That lead to the Shorty and then a 522ce 12-fret. The Taylor GC size feels more comfortable to me than my larger guitars. For neck feel, nothing beats the Taylor necks (to me); the Shorty neck (NS) is thicker than I prefer, but isn't a big issue.

OK, that's the background, for some perspective. I am warming up to the idea of another smaller travel guitar, carbon fiber. We generally travel by RV or boat, not plane, so I'm not concerned about something fitting in an airline overhead compartment. Not a fan of the Cargo with the even shorter scale or the Blackbird Rider. The RainSong Parlor is very nice, but sounds so similar to my Shorty.

That leads me to the consideration of an X7. What I've read here from owners, people seem very happy with it. I've listened/watched some videos with it, but that is just OK. Owners, what is your experience with an X7? Is the sound unplugged satisfying? When plugged in (and I still play out occasionally), is it still "acoustic" sounding? Any other guitars you'd compare it to?

Thanks in advance for your discussion on this.

Jim
Old 11-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Guest 928

Jim;

I've played all the Emeralds and liked them all for particular applications. Given your situation I would consider one size up and go to the X10. The 10 is not much bigger than the 7, but it gives a fuller sound and has better acoustic projection.

Alistair can probably do the X10 with a short scale (if that's what you like) and then you have a guitar that about the same length as the 7. My X10N originally had the B-band on-board but after several years I traded that out for a K&K that I like a lot.

Anyway, you have a lot of choices. I like the Cargo, but then again I like the Rider, the X7, and so forth. You might also want to consider the new Journey which has been getting a lot of attention and packs really well.

You might also want to inquire here whether or not anyone with a 7 lives in your area and would be willing to let you give it a test drive.

Good luck with your decision making.

evan
Old 11-12-2015, 02:07 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
You might also want to inquire here whether or not anyone with a 7 lives in your area and would be willing to let you give it a test drive.
Agreed...that is the best way to find what you like.

I have the original X7 with the center sound-hole, and I am as pleased as pie with it. Some don't like this model as much as the X7OS, but I sure wouldn't trade mine for one. To each their own.

Where are you located?

Wm.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Our home is in deep south Texas (South Padre Island area)... it isn't close to most of the rest of the US. We do travel a lot, but have no plans to be anywhere near one of the 3 Emerald dealers in the US.

Interesting thought about the X10 - I was thinking the X7 to keep it more compact. Finding room for the Shorty hasn't been an issue, I was just thinking even smaller would be handy. More to consider.

Thanks for the responses - keep 'em coming.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I see the X10 is "under redevelopment." Not an immediate "need," but still intrigued by the X7 size... assuming good sound.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:49 PM

Captain Jim,

I have an Emerald X7 (with offset soundhole), as well as an Emerald X20, and a RainSong SG-FLE.

I really like all three. All three provide me a different playing experience.

Although bigger than the X7, the X20 is ridiculously comfortable to play and provides the most volume and base of the three.

The RainSong SG-FLE (i.e. the Shorty, Forum Limited Edition), I really do like the brighter, crystal like RainSong tone. It provides a nice contrast to the X20. Also, the profile of the RainSong SG neck is for me very comfortable, and provides no problems.

I use the X7 for two main purposes. For travel, it moves (very easily) by car to and from our cottage. I have not yet taken it on an airplane. When playing at home, in our two story house, the X7 lives on a stand downstairs and functions as a parlor/couch guitar. With the offset sound hole being closer to my ears, the X7 provides enough volume of sound to enjoy what I am playing, while still playing softly enough at night so as not to disturb others that have already gone to sleep.

I have all three as acoustic only, . . . no pickups, . . . so I cannot speak to amplification.

Best regards,

Jim K
Old 11-12-2015, 03:59 PM

Hi Jim,

The X7 is a 3/4 size guitar, about the size and feel of a Taylor Baby, so if you're thinking of a GS Mini size guitar made of CF, something other than the Rainsong Parlor, than the X7 is not it. Good news is that there is something in the works that might work for you, if you can wait till next year that is. I'll say no more.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:06 PM
Guest 928

Ted,

You big tease. How am I supposed to sleep at night knowing that something new is coming over the hill? Say no more, indeed.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Jim,

The X7 is a 3/4 size guitar, about the size and feel of a Taylor Baby, so if you're thinking of a GS Mini size guitar made of CF, something other than the Rainsong Parlor, than the X7 is not it.
I disagree that the X7 has the "feel" of a Baby Taylor. As for size, the body length and width dimensions of the X7 are essentially midway between the Baby and the GS Min. But the X7 has a longer scale length than either (at 24") so it has the feel of a parlor guitar, not a toy like the Baby Taylor. The X10 has about the same body length and width as the GS Mini, but the X10 has a full 25.5" scale length and is 5" longer overall than the X7 - something to keep in mind if you're trying to stuff things into overheads.

Last edited by justonwo; 11-12-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 11-12-2015, 06:10 PM

Evan, no need to stay up thinking about the guitars(s) being developed, none of them will be nylon string.

Steve, perhaps I'm thinking of the X5, which was slightly smaller but actually had a full 25" scale if I recall. I no longer have any Emeralds in my personal collection, but I do recall that the X7 felt, and sounded much closer to the Baby T than my GS Mini.

BTW, comparing the X7 to the Baby is far from an insult, I happen to have a soft spot for the Taylor Baby, in fact I actually have two in my stable right now. One is a first year US made guitar that is somewhat collectible, and the second is a US made Mahogany top from 2000 that I keep in Terz tuning. Like the CA Cargo, the Baby T scale is a bit shorter at 22.3/4", so it does take some getting used to, but once you do, it's a lot of fun to play.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Guest 928

Oh Ted!

Break my heart. Actually, thank you. I've spent a bit of money following the CF revolution in luthery. I need another CF nylon strung guitar like I need a hole in my head.

But, I am enthused about Journey's journey. It's been a long hard journey for Journey, and its guitars seem really sweet and reasonably priced. Ole!

Nylon string guitars may be just a small part of the overall market. And it is a challenging market since it competes with 500 years of wooden luthery. And a new CF company competes against Rainsong, Emerald, and Blackbird nylon string instruments.

So I guess I am not surprised that your surprise is not a new nylon. I'll just have to wear my old nylons, my Emerald X10N and my Rainsong Parlor. Poor me. Sniff.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

More interesting responses. Jim, thanks for the point of view from someone who has a Shorty (mine is also the SG-FLE - love the sharks) AND an X7. That is helpful.

Ted, I am not on a schedule. It wasn't so long ago that I publicly stated that I am very happy with the guitars I have. Having bought a couple guitars from you, you know I am not "a shopper" - when I start looking around, it is because I have found another "niche to be filled."

Over the years, I have had some small, less than satisfying boat guitars. I like my Taylor guitars, but I am not a fan of the Taylor Baby. The GSmini is as small as I am comfortable with for scale. On the other hand, I have found I like the 24.875" scale of the 522 and the Shorty (and body size) better than the 25.5" on the bigger body Taylors. Just mentioning those again for perspective.

So, I can be patient. For a while. Keep me in the loop, Ted.

In the meantime, I appreciate the discussion here regarding the X7.

Thanks,
Jim
Old 11-12-2015, 09:08 PM

I have a Cargo and an Emerald T8 and have played the x5, x7os, the Rider and the Rainsong Parlor. Oh, how I'll miss the MacNichol road trips!

I really like my T8, but I honestly did not care for the tone of the x7 at all. It may be because I'm mostly a strummer, it seems like finger pickers are much happier with it. I really wanted to like it bc of its size and weight and ergonomics, but for me, personally, I just couldn't bond with the tone.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:26 PM

Yeah Penny! Second that opinion on the T8!!!

I have the golden opportunity to preview the latest X7-OS in black weave Opus spec, the one with the weaved back and sides and gloss weaved neckback, at my local dealer days ago. The X7-OS is a fantastic piece of musical instrument, ergo, looks, playability and everything. But I just couldn't bond with the tone of an offset soundhole as much as I do with my T8.

Hey, it may be me and not you.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
I have a Cargo and an Emerald T8 and have played the x5, x7os, the Rider and the Rainsong Parlor. Oh, how I'll miss the MacNichol road trips!

I really like my T8, but I honestly did not care for the tone of the x7 at all. It may be because I'm mostly a strummer, it seems like finger pickers are much happier with it. I really wanted to like it bc of its size and weight and ergonomics, but for me, personally, I just couldn't bond with the tone.
This is another interesting take: I am an old (former) rock 'n roller - most of what I play is strumming. I had read that the Shorty and the Taylor Grand Concerts were better for finger picking than strumming, yet I find those both work great for me. Probably should have had that preference in the original post, too.

Thanks for the perspective!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber