The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-02-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Does anyone else think that Emerald guitars look better than any other carbon fiber guitars? I mean it is pretty radical for a woodie like me, but what a tour de force of aesthetic and functional design.

I've been thinking 12 string lately, and carbon makes a lot of sense, and why not slap another neck on while your at it?
Seems like at the end you are going for a doubleneck? The design and finish of Emerald is a standard all their own. They are functional works of art. Seamless and flowing no one matches that. When I got my doubleneck one part of me wanted to hang it on a wall and frame it. That said on a six my favorite design now would probably be the Blackbird El Capitan. Totally retro, my Gibson roots run deep. Lol
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 11-02-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Guest 928

I would like to double-up on double-necks many claims regarding his guitar--they are all true. I had the opportunity to play his double-neck shortly after he received it--it blew me away. Not only was it extraordinarily light and easy to hold, it sounded extraordinary. And it's beautiful to boot. I think it would be difficult to better Double-neck's double-neck.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:14 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I would like to double-up on double-necks many claims regarding his guitar--they are all true. I had the opportunity to play his double-neck shortly after he received it--it blew me away. Not only was it extraordinarily light and easy to hold, it sounded extraordinary. And it's beautiful to boot. I think it would be difficult to better Double-neck's double-neck.
I concur. Today, I took my Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck into the guitar tech I've dealt with for quite a while to have a bit of tweaking done on the action since I haven't adjusted it to my own liking since I got it, and wanted to leave it in the hands of a guy I trust. Mine has the solid necks and titanium truss rods (with Baggs Lyric system).

When I opened the case, and handed it to Ian, he and the other staff couldn't believe what they were seeing especially given that any other doubleneck they've ever seen, whether electric or acoustic, was far bigger, and waaaay heavier. When the tech played it, the look on his face was one of being totally impressed. Lightweight at 7lbs., and very ergonomic. All expressed that the tone sounded real good.

To dial in the adjustments to achieve what I want, because most of the fine-tuning is on the 12 neck, he had me venture to the area of the shop where the 12 stringers hung and he handed me a few...a new Taylor 856ce 12...to be honest, before the Chimaera, I hadn't really tried 12ers. I'd toyed with the idea, but was really intrigued by have a 6 and 12 on one guitar. Without question, the Chimaera 12 rivalled the 856ce. I also tried a Taylor 150ce and for a low priced 12, it sounded very good...I now understand the raves about that model. Then I tried a Norman 12...not bad either. Then he threw in a Rickenbacker 12 electric...yuck.

I truly believe that once Ian works his magic, the Chimaera will sound as good or better than all of them, including the 856. He asked if I minded telling him what it cost. I told him when I bought it it was $2k...around $2,400 now, I think. Again, he was taken aback, saying he thought it would be much more expensive.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:56 PM

Hey BR1CK

You can't go wrong with Alistair. In my view, his instruments are works of art.

The fit and finish of my harp guitar is flawless and it stays in tune forever.

He can build anything you want.

I also had the pleasure to meet him at the Harp Guitar Gathering and he is a great person.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Guest 928

Alistair is working on my 3rd custom nylon string guitar. I am a fan. He is a genius and I feel fortunate to be able to afford his marvelous custom creations.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Does anyone else think that Emerald guitars look better than any other carbon fiber guitars? I mean it is pretty radical for a woodie like me, but what a tour de force of aesthetic and functional design.
Others have expressed so well Emerald's excellence in design, fit and finish, and I heartily agree. After 2 1/2 years, I still find myself looking with amazement at my Cobalt Blue X20. It may be a cliché, but it truly is a functional work of art.

Seriously, it reminds me of Frank Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Walt Disney Concert Hall, LA, CA, jjron 22.03.2012 [GFDL 1.2 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/fdl-1.2.html)], by jjron, from Wikimedia Commons

Quote:
I've been thinking 12 string lately, and carbon makes a lot of sense, and why not slap another neck on while your at it?
I would love to get my hands on an X20 12-string! The videos I've seen make me think that it may be the best 12er on the planet. And a doubleneck? Why not?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:32 PM

Another big Emerald fan here. I picked up a red X20 Artisan in June and I still can't believe how great this guitar is. Every time I pick it up I marvel at the feel, fit, and finish, and every time I start to play it I marvel at how good it sounds. You really need to see one of these in the flesh to get a true appreciation of how cool they are. Just an awesome instrument. Alistair has created something very special.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:31 PM

For the money spent, Emerald CF guitars is really top notch in workmanship. Just look into the sound hole and see how the carbon weave form up nicely in right angle with no unevenness and excess epoxy as compared to some other big name CF maker.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

What's the approximate wait for,say, a Chimaera?
Old 11-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
What's the approximate wait for,say, a Chimaera?
It's best to ask Alistair directly. He's a very approachable guy.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:31 AM

I do think the Emerald is very stylistic and I find it to be completely modern and a step away from tradition aesthetically. While I like the Carbon innovation, move toward ergonomics, and sound that Alistair has captured, I also like the traditional shape and look of Traditional acoustic guitars. I expect Emerald would certainly win a contest to have a prop guitar hanging on the wall in Spock's quarters on Starship Enterprise. They look that cool.
However; I love the look,feel, and sound of my Rainsong. It has the Old traditional acoustic guitar aspects with the State of the art composite concepts that will one day I'm sure be the norm in acoustic instruments. For that same reason, Blackbird and their lean toward traditional look is also a guitar the I find very appealing across all my senses.
Choices are good. Variety is the Carbonated spice of life.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 11-04-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
I do think the Emerald is very stylistic and I find it to be completely modern and a step away from tradition aesthetically. While I like the Carbon innovation, move toward ergonomics, and sound that Alistair has captured, I also like the traditional shape and look of Traditional acoustic guitars. I expect Emerald would certainly win a contest to have a prop guitar hanging on the wall in Spock's quarters on Starship Enterprise. They look that cool.
However; I love the look,feel, and sound of my Rainsong. It has the Old traditional acoustic guitar aspects with the State of the art composite concepts that will one day I'm sure be the norm in acoustic instruments. For that same reason, Blackbird and their lean toward traditional look is also a guitar the I find very appealing across all my senses.
Choices are good. Variety is the Carbonated spice of life.
Well spoke Vance!!! Live long and prosper...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 11-04-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Well spoke Vance!!! Live long and prosper...
My goal was Logic. influenced by my subjective emotion.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 11-05-2015, 07:19 AM

I never gave that much thought to it when I bought an X5 but to the uneducated eye of a couple of my friends they thought it was a small electric rather than an acoustic until I explained how the soundhole was engineered. I love the look. The sound is not that of a full size wood guitar but it is not tinny or cheap sounding either. I think it does punch out more volume than my parlor and as noted by others is a very sensitive instrument. And to add my 2 cents- the workmanship is flawless.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Others have expressed so well Emerald's excellence in design, fit and finish, and I heartily agree. After 2 1/2 years, I still find myself looking with amazement at my Cobalt Blue X20. It may be a cliché, but it truly is a functional work of art.

Seriously, it reminds me of Frank Gehry's Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Walt Disney Concert Hall, LA, CA, jjron 22.03.2012 [GFDL 1.2 (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/fdl-1.2.html)], by jjron, from Wikimedia Commons

I would love to get my hands on an X20 12-string! The videos I've seen make me think that it may be the best 12er on the planet. And a doubleneck? Why not?

Disney Hall has the best acoustics of any concert hall I've ever been to. Gustavo Dudamel and the LA Phil rock the place.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber