The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Default Grand reopening of Ovation Guitars

AGFer patchmcg posted the following thread in the General forum about the resurgence of USA made Ovation Guitars. In case the composite guitar enthusiasts among us didn't see the thread, it is very interesting, and includes some description about how Ovations/Adamas guitars have been/are made. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=405753

I love and own both wood and composite guitars. I've known about Ovations for a long time, but I admit to not knowing a whole lot about them. What I have noticed on this forum over time is that they seem to not have been that well regarded except by few who really like them. What I learned from following the thread is that, to me at least, they really are quality composite guitars that even offer Ovation's technology for wood-topped models to allow the wood top to move even though there's carbon fiber in the construction. The bowl, whether shallow or deep is a fiberglas based material Ovation refers to as Lyrachord.

I've only ever had one Ovation in my hands and it was many years ago, a deep bowl model. I don't recall how it sounded, but I didn't like how the deep bowl felt like it would roll/slide off my lap.

The thread info has me intrigued with Ovations, and I'm curious how other composite guitar enthusiasts regard them. Have you considered them as composite or wood guitars? Imo, they certainly have a place in the overall composite guitar discussion. In view of the number of current composite offerings and materials, where do you think Ovations fit? Are they still relevant with a legitimate place in the composite world, or have current, modern offerings passed them by?

Regardless, I wish the Ovation Guitars company well and hope they are successful. After all, they may have been the original pioneer in the composite domain, that inspired the a range of guitars that we now have abpvalaible to us to enjoy. I expect to be paying more attention to them as a potential future purchase.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I had an Ovation for 14 years; it was my main acoustic during that time. I played the heck out of it, and it covered a lot of miles. It sounded great plugged in (and acoustically) and was comfortable to play. I get the "roll off your lap" thing, but I always use a strap.

I traded it off when I got my first Taylor. For as little as I got for it, I should have kept it. This was before I spent time on guitar forums and found out I need a bunch of guitars.

I have guitars now that cost a lot more than that Ovation, but I can't say that any of them play any better. That particular guitar was a "blem" - a bit of discolor on the top. I got a significant discount on it. It certainly earned its keep.

I heard a few cracks about "a plastic bowl" for a back, over those years, but I am generally not swayed by others' comments. I just played.

I'm glad to see Ovation come back.

Here's an old YouTube video with that guitar...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOfvD2MxMG8

Jim
Old 10-28-2015, 06:10 PM

I fell I love with Ovation watching Glen Campbell. I still own two see below. The 1987 collectors was my dream guitar at one point and I found it used quite a while ago. Got into carbon guitars and really haven't played them. Need to go back and compare. As I remember they have one of the best necks period. Negative to me now is the weight, heavy compared to carbon.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Guest 928

I had one of the Ovations. It had a great fret board, nice electronics, and sounded really good. It was the slip-off-my-lap thing that moved to other alternatives.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I fell I love with Ovation watching Glen Campbell. I still own two see below. The 1987 collectors was my dream guitar at one point and I found it used quite a while ago. Got into carbon guitars and really haven't played them. Need to go back and compare. As I remember they have one of the best necks period. Negative to me now is the weight, heavy compared to carbon.
Steve, some posts in the linked thread explains the construction process of the various models including Adamas where the top seems to be a thin layer of poplar sandwiched between two thin layers of carbon fiber. You mention the weight of yours...is it comparable to later models before Ovation closed and what are likely the same now that they've reopened?

Steve, Evan, do you consider them to be composite guitars?

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-28-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Corrected word "popular" to read poplar, as in the wood.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Steve, some posts in the linked thread explains the construction process of the various models including Adamas where the top seems to be a thin layer of popular sandwiched between two thin layers of carbon fiber. You mention the weight of yours...is it comparable to later models before Ovation closed and what are likely the same now that they've reopened?

Steve, Evan, do you consider them to be composite guitars?
The weight is in the composite bowls. My guitars are half wood and composite so yes I think they are composite guitars, in the case of Adamas they are all composite except necks.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 10-28-2015, 07:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
The weight is in the composite bowls. My guitars are half wood and composite so yes I think they are composite guitars, in the case of Adamas they are all composite except necks.
I guess there was a time when Ovations as a composite acoustic guitar were the only game in town. The times have changed such that weight is an issue that many players want to minimize and are getting it with other brands. Given that Ovation is competing for essentially the same alternative material accepting customers, I wonder how this may affect Ovation. If it does, given their experience with carbon fiber, I further wonder if they'll evolve their guitars to have more carbon fiber or other lighter materials into the build. Their necks, being wood, also must be heavier.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:35 AM

They did have a experimental all carbon guitar which looked awesome called "Q" but they never could bring it to market, I think it was too expensive for them to produce. I need to bring them out if the closet and get reacquainted. I must admit the pictures of the 50th Anniversary look awesome.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
Old 10-29-2015, 11:55 AM

Good to hear!!! It was my first real acoustic guitar during the late 70's.... People like Heart, ELO, McCartney, Cat Stevens... really turned me on to them. Took my ribbing from the electric guitar guys at the time though... :-)
Old 10-29-2015, 11:04 PM

I like unique guitars and I've never been afraid to try something different. While I tend to favor traditional designs, I did own an Ovation CC057. While it was a cheap Korean guitar, it was a gift for my college graduation and actually is what got me into playing after putting down the electric for a couple years. My first guitar ever was also from the Ovation family- a Kaman Applause stratocaster.

I have a soft spot for Ovations and a cool story behind the Celebrity that I once owned. After service one day I was lazy and leaned the guitar against the wall while I wrapped up some cables from my rig- I should have put it on the stand that I had! The lead vocalist brushed by it and it crashed to the ground

The neck broke from the impact and all that was holding it together was the truss, and a bit of glue from the back side of the neck. I was pretty upset about it but it was my fault. The vocalist offered to help with repairs but I refused and paid for it myself. Years later that guitar ended up being auctioned for a charity event for nearly what I paid for it new!

Last edited by steelvibe; 10-29-2015 at 11:05 PM. Reason: because all good stories should end with a smiley!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:40 AM

The main reason my 40 year old D28 is in such wonderful condition is because over the years, I owned several and primarily played Ovations/Adamas because of the Electronics, Play-ability, and okay acoustic sound. My Carbon Top Adamas was the best sounding Acoustic of the bowl back stable. I preferred my Older Sunburst Legend because the traditional sound hole. Couldn't seem to keep my thumb pick from hitting the Top on my filigree sound hole models.
Ovation Certainly has a place in my Good guitar memories, but not currently in my collection. Sure would like to have back that SB Legend.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-31-2015, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I've had at least a dozen high-end Ovation and Adamas guitars over the years and right about now I'm jonesing for another Adamas! Wishing Ovation many decades of success!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-31-2015, 06:16 PM
Guest 928

Steve;

If you have one of the Q models would you give us a view?
Old 11-02-2015, 10:28 AM

TAH-DAH!!!!!

From Ovation's 1998 brochure....

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 11-02-2015, 11:51 AM

I owned an Ovation for a couple years. It was a low-end center hole model without electronics. I remember that the string height was enormous and I didn't have the money or knowledge to lower it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber