The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-21-2015, 02:22 AM

Haha, EvaB, I got a feeling we're similar ranking on the persist-o-meter.

While there is indeed a trade-off between string height and volume, for the majority us, its practically imperceptible - especially for steel strings, and even more so when you consider this is a guitar designed for travel and isn't meant to go head-to-head with a D-18 or an AJ in a bluegrass jam. High saddle or lower - this guitar sounds awesome for it's size, and the tone is huge - which is what we were primarily concerned with.

My recommendation to any guitarist is - go with what feels good and what you enjoy. You'll find you'll play a lot more and that will do more for the sound of the guitar than a few mm change in the saddle.

I personally have two saddles in my OF660 and I swap out depending on the style I'm playing at the time. (all guitars ship with two saddles so you can swap them out now)

On our approach to the classical, on which a higher break angle is needed due to the lower tension of nylon, we're going for a high break angle while minimizing string height - just as we've done on the wood OC520 collapsible classical. The nice thing about a carbon bridge is it can take significantly more force than can a wood bridge - so I can experiment with higher saddle heights and materials that I couldn't safely do with wood. While setup is an issue in achieving ideal tone/volume, I'll get the most bang for my buck by focusing research on bracing, materials and layup. In the end, it will take time, but I think we'll get something you'll be satisfied with - and we may reach out to for an expert opinion.

As for new upcoming models and the timing, all I can say is we'll launch a new collapsible model this NAMM in wood and carbon, along with the all-solid RoadTrip Professional. Next year we're doing 2 new carbon models, one of which will tickle your fancy. For now, I'd like to keep this thread focused on the OF660 as it's a great reference for guitarists who want to know more about this model.

Thanks again for your insightful comments and enthusiasm.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:28 AM

I am detecting hints that Journey is coming out with a nylon classical style CF guitar and that gets my anticipation up. If true the Journey would be a perfect final guitar purchase for me.I could thin the herd down to one guitar that also is able to trave. How cool would that be!

Not trying to hijack the thread, just saying I am excited by the prospect. I, as they say, will be 'staying tuned"!
Old 11-21-2015, 11:27 AM
Guest 928

Rob;

Given what you've gone through to bring the OF660 on line I think you should get the gold for persistence. And, given the reviews, another gold for success.

Like John, I am staying tuned to the results of your future persistence.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:58 AM
*mahoganut*

I follow this thread not as a moderator, but because I had an interest in the OF660, and then bought one - so the thread is on my "subscribed" list.

However, I am a moderator, so when the comments get personal beyond a point I have to step in. Comments and opinions about guitars are welcome (and the purpose of the forum); comments and opinions about other members are not. The old distinction between "I" and "you" works here - "I like this" works... "you [anything]" generally doesn't.

In each post in the upper right corner is a small white red-bordered triangle with an exclamation point in it. Clicking on that triangle opens a short dialogue box which will send a note to all the moderators. If someone is getting a bit out of line please do report it and we'll have a chat.

Most of our members are very respectful of each other. We try to admonish those who are not as quickly as possible. I still think this is one of the most civil and friendly places on the internet.

So - I had some choices. There were quite a few posts relating to the spat. I edited what I could, I deleted what I had to, and I encourage all to get back to the topic. I really don't want to close or delete this thread due to it going off the rails or down a rabbit hole.

If you don't like what I've done please PM me. PMs are the best place to conduct personal conversations. And if you cannot resolve interactions with a given member, there is an "ignore" function in your profile and you will not see PMs nor posts from a member you list there.

Thanks for your cooperation and support.

Phil
Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 PM

Thanks Phil, appreciate what you do.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:49 PM

Thanks Phil. Apologies to Rob for mucking up the thread.

Loving my Journey.

Candidly, I dismissed the CF Journey immediately when I saw the price. Until I got to play one. Then it was a matter of deciding that it was worth being happy with my travel guitar. And it sounds so good it won't be limited to travel.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:56 AM

I added a Taylor cling on pickguard to mine. Not that I hit the top but it can happen. Lots of air bubbles but it's fine.

Anyone find one that fits any better?
Old 11-28-2015, 03:19 PM

I can't add anything about pick guards but after a morning of playing my OF660 at my Sister-in-Law's house in Denver while everyone else slept off the last few busy days, I wanted to add another impression to this thread (something I should do more since I get so much out of reading this forum).

This is my third trip to Denver with this guitar and it's been to Arizona, Oregon and two weeks in China this year. So easy to travel with this system - it fits all the things I want to take, weighs almost nothing that I forget it's on my back and fits overhead everywhere. It's so great to not worry about the rigors of travel as well as the weather when I get somewhere.

Every time I travel with it I'm reminded how comfortable it is. From the overall size to the wedge to all the scoops and shapes, it is just a very comfortable guitar to play. I just play for myself and mostly fingerstyle and I think it sounds great. I can play quietly and not bother anyone and the sounds comes right up to me, which I assume it due to the shape and placement of the sound hole. You can also get some significant volume out of it as well especially when using a pick. I think I've said before this could be an everyday guitar (and one of these days I should try it).

Thanks Rob and Journey for all you guys have made.

Scully

My reduced collection (in order of acquisition):
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson Les Paul Tribute
Old 11-28-2015, 08:24 PM

Thanks Scully, have you posted any online examples of you playing fingerstyle with your journey?

I'm also interested in whether the painted versions could handle being written on the top with a white board marker? And be able to have the white board marker ink be removed without trace? It would be cool to have some removable graffiti effectively.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:30 PM

Second saddle arrived today. Apparently the saddle in the pouch with the Allen wrench is the high saddle. I'll try to hit the sandpaper this week....
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 PM

Tonyo,

Sorry, I had not recorded myself yet in my still new journey to become a guitar player. I am getting there though and have asked for some tools for Christmas to do something like that.

My reduced collection (in order of acquisition):
Taylor 512ce 12-fret
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson Les Paul Tribute
Old 12-02-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sscully View Post
Tonyo,

Sorry, I had not recorded myself yet in my still new journey to become a guitar player. I am getting there though and have asked for some tools for Christmas to do something like that.
Thanks. I bought a zoom recorder (h5). Happy to recommend it or similar.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:22 PM

Just spent the night playing this OF 660.

This is an amazing guitar.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:29 PM

Default Burnt Orange Top OF660 pics for Sponserv

Hey Gang,

Sponserv sent me these pics so I've uploaded them for your perusal.

Cheers!

Old 01-03-2016, 02:25 PM

I just got the Journey carbon. I'm stunned with how excellent it is in most every way. And this after 50+ years of playing every kind of guitar I could get my hands on. I can gig this no problem, solo or with a band. I'm gonna be hauling it around Europe this spring. Can't wait to fly without anxiety over having an irreplaceable guitar killed. Used to take a 1939 Martin O18 until some lady forced her carryon in so hard it cracked all around the sides. No more!! It has a nice wide beefy neck and takes drop tunings beautifully all the way down to C. Well done!!

1920's Mayflower OM
1929 National Tricone Style 2 Round neck
1996 Gibson Hummingbird
1939 Martin 018
1930's Martin Style O soprano uke
2007 Kamaka Tenor Uke
1970 Martin OO21
1923 Gibson tenor Banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber