The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-14-2015, 03:36 AM

Default Frets are failing

I've had my RainSong H-DR1000 not quite 2 years and I need to have the frets 1-7 dressed a bit mainly under the E,B, & G. I suppose a good traditional luthier can handle a guitar from the future?
My 92 Taylor 420 needs the same on 1-7 but it may need some replaced.

Anyone here had their CF Guitars reworked?
How did it go(if so)?
Anything different I should be aware of?
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 11-14-2015, 10:29 AM

Hi Vance,

RainSong has at least a comment about this very thing on their website but leaves very little to go on

http://www.rainsong.com/care.html

I would imagine the same epoxy would be used as in refretting wood and it would just be a matter of sizing it to the jumbo specs of RainSong. When it comes time for me to get refretted I will be asking to have the nickel replaced with stainless though (and would have the whole gamut done even if only a few needed it).

Please post your results or what you find for the benefit of all RainSong owners here and I wish you luck!
Old 11-15-2015, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Hi Vance,

RainSong has at least a comment about this very thing on their website but leaves very little to go on

http://www.rainsong.com/care.html

I would imagine the same epoxy would be used as in refretting wood and it would just be a matter of sizing it to the jumbo specs of RainSong. When it comes time for me to get refretted I will be asking to have the nickel replaced with stainless though (and would have the whole gamut done even if only a few needed it).

Please post your results or what you find for the benefit of all RainSong owners here and I wish you luck!
Great suggestion about the SS vs nickel. When I figure out a good place to have it done. I'll be having my Taylor done first. A guinea pig of sorts.
Thank you for the link.
That paragraph concerning the Action,
" Action

Your RainSong has been setup to a factory standard action. The action may be altered by changing the saddle height. Please note that any playability problems such as string buzz caused by altering the saddle height is not covered by the warranty. "

I have yet to own a guitar, mandolin, banjo, bass....etc... that the saddle doesn't get worked on or replaced.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 11-17-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
I have yet to own a guitar, mandolin, banjo, bass....etc... that the saddle doesn't get worked on or replaced.
It's not saying that your entire warranty will be void. It's just saying that you can't change the saddle and then redeem the warranty because of setup issues. If you change the saddle and have any issues not related to action/playability, they would be covered by the warranty.

I don't know why they put that in there to begin with. You're not the first person to be concerned about that phrase, and it kind of just seems unnecessary to me.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 11-17-2015, 05:12 PM

Well, that's simple. Remove and save the original factory saddle unmodified. Put in a new one and adjust away!

And don't forget Evo frets as an alternative to SS.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber