The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2015, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X7 neck

There aren't any Emerald dealers around me so I am wondering if anyone could describe the neck profile in the X7. Slim carve along the Taylor line? Or what would it be comparable to?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:26 PM

I've played the X7-OS and owned the T8. Yes, slim, D profile (correct me if I'm wrong), and 1 3/4 nut width which is wide enough for fingerstyle play. By the way, I am 1.80m tall.

Just to add on - get one that has a truss rod, and shave down the saddle. It will play like a electric!
Old 11-04-2015, 06:41 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
I've played the X7-OS and owned the T8. Yes, slim, D profile (correct me if I'm wrong)
I agree with Jimmy as I have an Amicus and new X5. The Amicus has a solid neck but the x5 has a hollow neck and no truss rod. I do not want get into the religious argument of no truss rod but the hollow neck IMHO really adds to the playing experience in terms of sound and feel while playing. I really enjoy the feel of the vibrations. This is also true of my Blackbirds as well.

Also I typically order with satin neck finish (no extra charge) which I find reduces the stickyness of the gloss finish while I am playing. Alistair is very unique in that he a master of dialing the right guitar for you. Almost custom but at retail prices...

Hope this helps....
Old 11-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixedgear60 View Post
I agree with Jimmy as I have an Amicus and new X5. The Amicus has a solid neck but the x5 has a hollow neck and no truss rod. I do not want get into the religious argument of no truss rod but the hollow neck IMHO really adds to the playing experience in terms of sound and feel while playing. I really enjoy the feel of the vibrations. This is also true of my Blackbirds as well.

Also I typically order with satin neck finish (no extra charge) which I find reduces the stickyness of the gloss finish while I am playing. Alistair is very unique in that he a master of dialing the right guitar for you. Almost custom but at retail prices...

Hope this helps....
I don't have an X7, nor have I tried one. Fwiw, the necks on my Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck feel similar to my Taylor. Unlike Fixedgear, I didn't like the hollow necks at all...for my bare fingering playing style, I was frequently hearing a 'thwack' sound that for me was very unappealing. Alistair offered to replace it, so I waited until he had modified his design to solid necks and titanium truss rods. He must've had customers with such issues, which is why I assume he changed rhe neck design. The problem I had experienced with the first Chimaera was gone with the second. Mine has gloss necks and although I haven't tried a satin neck on an Emerald, I don't find the gloss sticky at all.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:19 AM

Played several Emerald, own a Doubleneck, bottom line Emerald has great modern profile necks. My preferred neck in the carbon space so far.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-04-2015, 11:40 AM

I replied to a PM from Gitarre asking the same question about my X7 and answered thus :-

"Hi John, The neck on my X7 is a little chunkier in the shoulders than I prefer, more D than C or V shape. I adapted to it very quickly though and don't notice it really anymore. I haven't played a Taylor for a while so I can't make a meaningful comparison.

You can order custom scale lengths and neck widths so I assume Alastair can also offer custom profiles (email him and ask, he's very helpful) but there is a considerable up charge. I'd like 25" scale on a slim C neck profile and no built in pickup (or maybe a K&K without the barn door) but cost and the 4-5 month wait persuaded me to buy a stock guitar from a UK dealer.

I do love mine and I'm happy to live with it's few minor shortcomings 'cos it's just so **** good "

So I wouldn't describe the neck as slim, it's far from huge (like those styled after some early Selmers and old Martins) but it's a slightly chunky D IMHO. Given the production methods Emerald use I can't see there being any difference between one X7 and another so I guess we all perceive these things differently. I'll try to play a Taylor in the next couple of days and compare them.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

Last edited by sam.spoons; 11-04-2015 at 11:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber