The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-24-2016, 06:26 PM

Default for those who seriously record acoustic guitar

you may or may not be aware of this, but i just discovered it myself, even after years of recording.

recently, i was having a lot of issues in the 300hz to 500hz in a few acoustic tracks. there were times when i could hear a certain (for lack of a better term) phase shifting going on in those frequencies, especially on my larger body guitars.

i tried all sorts of mic positions, mic combinations, room movement, etc, to no avail. it wasn't always there, but it was there enough to bug the crap out of me.

well (and thanks to a guy on my daw forum) i discovered it was being caused by my arm touching the top of the guitar, and more precisely, how when it moved (even minimally) either laterally, or up on down on the top, i was getting a "wah" effect, that the mics were picking up.

i had never even really noticed (for decades) how much that little contact with the top can alter the overall tone of the guitar. but now i do, and i'm taking steps to mitigate it (for recording).

i just ordered a non-adhesive type arm rest that i'll be employing during tracking.

i'm glad the mystery has been solved. i was literally pulling my hair out over it.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps in your case, and if attention to that improves your recordings, then great. The recordings I have made have varied in the sound obtained. That has been secondary to a number of factors other than arm position.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-24-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Perhaps in your case, and if attention to that improves your recordings, then great. The recordings I have made have varied in the sound obtained. That has been secondary to a number of factors other than arm position.

well, in the grand scheme of things, it is rather small. i was just pointing out a sonic anomaly i had just discovered. even after years of recording acoustic guitars.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoss74 View Post
well, in the grand scheme of things, it is rather small. i was just pointing out a sonic anomaly i had just discovered. even after years of recording acoustic guitars.
I know a couple of the 1st call acoustic guys in Nashville both use that John Pearse thingy. I think it's more an over-tone solution than it is a better sounding guitar device. Sorta like the guys that dampen a string above the nut when overtones creep up. Those guys have got acoustic guitar playing in front of a mic down to a well distilled science. I guess if was recording in those rooms (and I was that good) I'd be splitting hairs as well.

There again it's a relatively inexpensive solution. The problem of course with identifying small sonic anomalies is you can't un-hear them. They continue to show up now that you brain has made the connection. I see a John Pearce armrest in your near future
Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post

There again it's a relatively inexpensive solution. The problem of course with identifying small sonic anomalies is you can't un-hear them. They continue to show up now that you brain has made the connection. I see a John Pearce armrest in your near future

i found a non-adhesive one. the pearse ones are not what i was looking for.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 AM

I have not tried this armrest but some of my customers have. They rave about them. I like the non-invasive and reversible installation.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/andrea...tar-11771.html
Old 05-25-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Rein View Post
I have not tried this armrest but some of my customers have. They rave about them. I like the non-invasive and reversible installation.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/andrea...tar-11771.html
i saw that one, and was considering it. but for now, i'm just going to try this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Guit...gAAOSwRH5XK1xc

it's only $25.00, and since i'll only be using it for recording, that should suffice.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
i saw that one, and was considering it. but for now, i'm just going to try this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leather-Guit...gAAOSwRH5XK1xc

it's only $25.00, and since i'll only be using it for recording, that should suffice.
I don't see how that will help the issue you described in your first post. It doesn't seem to reduce weight or damping from your arm onto the soundboard. It appears that the only thing it does do is protect the finish - maybe.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I don't see how that will help the issue you described in your first post. It doesn't seem to reduce weight or damping from your arm onto the soundboard. It appears that the only thing it does do is protect the finish - maybe.

if you scroll through the photos, you'll see that not only does it not contact the top, it also keeps your arm from coming into contact with the top.

but i just realized something. it has suction cups to keep it in place, and i have a nitro finished guitar. oops...houston, we may have a problem.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
if you scroll through the photos, you'll see that not only does it not contact the top, it also keeps your arm from coming into contact with the top.

but i just realized something. it has suction cups to keep it in place, and i have a nitro finished guitar. oops...houston, we may have a problem.
Yeah, you're right.

And I also read that it can be used without the suction cups.

If you get it, I'd be interested in what you think.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Yeah, you're right.

And I also read that it can be used without the suction cups.

If you get it, I'd be interested in what you think.
yeah, i should be good without the suction cups. i'll just be sitting still. i'll let you know. it's supposed to be here tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:53 PM

well, i got the rest today. it does about 80% of what i need. the problem is, it's only double stitched leather, so the weight of my arm forces the leather to push down against the top...which is what i'm trying to avoid.

oh well, i guess i'll have to get the able one. i was hoping not to go out of pocket that much, for a recording only thing, but i'll have to.

the one i got would certainly protect from sweat, and is a little more comfortable than laying your arm on the side/top seam, but it does come in contact with the top.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
well, i got the rest today. it does about 80% of what i need. the problem is, it's only double stitched leather, so the weight of my arm forces the leather to push down against the top...which is what i'm trying to avoid.

oh well, i guess i'll have to get the able one. i was hoping not to go out of pocket that much, for a recording only thing, but i'll have to.

the one i got would certainly protect from sweat, and is a little more comfortable than laying your arm on the side/top seam, but it does come in contact with the top.
That is exactly what I thought looking at the photo and I was going to comment earlier, but their website says it prevents the arm from doing that very thing. Hope the purchase is refundable.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-26-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
That is exactly what I thought looking at the photo and I was going to comment earlier, but their website says it prevents the arm from doing that very thing. Hope the purchase is refundable.

actually, it was operator error. it works. i just had to re-position it a little. the one i ordered was the large. it was a little too big for my slope, but since i have a slope and a dread, i went with that size. i just shifted the entire piece back up against the top, and it works fine with the slope. with the dread, it's a perfect fit.

the slope's depth is 4 5/8", and the dread is 4 7/8" (more or less).

the other one i linked would obviously be more stable, but this does indeed work. it's like getting a whole new guitar. not really, but i like it, and it eliminates that wah effect for recording.

Last edited by dmoss74; 05-26-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
... i like it, and it eliminates that wah effect for recording.
So, it's doing what you were hoping it would, right?

Any downside?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD