The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 07:12 PM

in my opinion... i prefer the 314ce ..but it all depends on preference and what you want from a guitar...the ga shape has that well known sparkly piercing highs that some prefer including myself...with the 316ce u tend to loose a bit of that sparkle in exchange for a more rounded high end and an overal more rounded loud sound..i am a singer/songwriter and in my case the 314ce suits me cuz i can play the light strings all day. the volume isnt as loud as the gs and i get the sparkly highs...also i perform so when its amplified on stage it comes down to comfortability...i hope this helps
Old 07-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
In that case, I don't think they're going to get more 'omph'. They will get louder volume with the GS, but no 'omph'.

You will get a louder bass E string, but it won't be balanced with the other strings.

On a DN, you will get louder bass E, bass A and mid D strings, and quieter mid G, quieter high B and high E.

With a GS, you get a louder bass E, which is out of balance with the quieter bass A, mid D, mid G, and louder high B and high E. From what I hear.

By 'omph' I presume you mean the bass thump.
This has not been my experience at all. Every GS I've played has had a great balance across the strings. You've made some pretty specific and sweeping generalizations here, I'd be cautious to suggest these to be universal results for anyone trying these guitars.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com

Last edited by kscobie8; 07-04-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
As I 've posted before, if I didn't have my lovely threesome, I would enjoy a GS5 BTO in an amberburst with pipeline fretboard inlays!

noledog
That sounds groovy, dog!

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 08-04-2012, 06:59 AM

Wanted to bring this guy back up to the top.... as it's exactly what I'm contemplating. I've always loved the 314ce guitars, but I've not had the chance to play a 316ce yet... or any x16 guitars really. The extra oomph sounds great, but the few comments about it not being as balanced throws me back a step.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:10 AM

My vote goes to the 16 over the 14.

My GS Cedar/Rosewood is very balanced, like a jumbo. I've had a 914ce which didn't compare. I still have a GA Cedar/Hog which is nice but more subdued than the GS....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion