The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-20-2016, 08:18 PM

Default About to purchase a new computer. Anything I need to consider for recording?

I haven't decided what I am getting yet but it will probably be a pretty basic laptop. My other options are an ipad or a surface but more than likely will end up with the laptop. I will not be running anything fancy. I just want to be able to use a decent mic straight into the computer with a simple recording interface. Should anything I get be able to handle this? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:29 PM

You should consider a few things:
  • Best practice says you should record to a 2nd hard drive (or SSD) and not your boot drive.
  • The more tracks & higher bit depth/sample rate you record the more power you'll need from the computer. Any i5 or i7 based system should be good. I'd be wary of any Core M based systems for a recording laptop. I would definitely steer clear of iPad/Surface Pro/tablets or convertibles.
  • Beside a fast CPU, you'll want a lot of RAM/memory. Everything is just smoother that way.

Do you know what software & hardware you intend to use with the new laptop and how elaborate your recording & editing needs will be?

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-21-2016, 07:23 AM

Do you already have an audio interface?

Are you going to be multi-tracking, using VSTi's?

Fast processor speed, dual-core, and at least 6G RAM should cover most uses.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-21-2016, 08:06 AM

Almost any 2016 laptop available is gonna have enough processing speed to run any basic DAW solution. Provided of course it's components are "supported" by the manufacturer.

If you're looking for laptops the hard drive speed is usually (if not always) the critical component that'll be problematic. 5400 rpm is standard on virtually all of em. That's not enough and even moderate track count becomes a problem quickly. You can "get by" with moderate processing power and you can "get by" with moderate ram although as has been mentioned the more of each the better. You can squeak by with a 5400 rpm drive until you start multi-tracking and then things get slow and sticky in a hurry. SSD's can really help in that area not to mention they're so fast with the operating systems as to make you wonder how you got by without them. An SSD or a 7200 rpm drive I'd consider mandatory. Where a separate audio file drive was certainly mandatory in the old days, file management and allocation makes that somewhat less important these days. They only precaution there is the Pearl Harbor theory of nesting all you files in one place. If you're not backing up one catastrophe and all is lost

I love the portability of recording to my iPad but they become problematic when it comes to storage space. I do record to my iPad but I immediately transfer the session to my desktop Pro Tools rig for finishing and storage.

If it's a light and easy one stop solution you're looking for I'd personally look towards a MacBook Air. Fast enough for audio, crazy light and portable and comes with GarageBand. That and an interface and off you go.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:58 PM

I've had loads of problems in the past with audio pops and crackles and latency issues running Windows PCs. I much prefer Apple these days for doing music stuff and have had no more of those issues.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 06-21-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Almost any 2016 laptop available is gonna have enough processing speed to run any basic DAW solution. Provided of course it's components are "supported" by the manufacturer.

If you're looking for laptops the hard drive speed is usually (if not always) the critical component that'll be problematic. 5400 rpm is standard on virtually all of em. That's not enough and even moderate track count becomes a problem quickly. You can "get by" with moderate processing power and you can "get by" with moderate ram although as has been mentioned the more of each the better. You can squeak by with a 5400 rpm drive until you start multi-tracking and then things get slow and sticky in a hurry. SSD's can really help in that area not to mention they're so fast with the operating systems as to make you wonder how you got by without them. An SSD or a 7200 rpm drive I'd consider mandatory. Where a separate audio file drive was certainly mandatory in the old days, file management and allocation makes that somewhat less important these days. They only precaution there is the Pearl Harbor theory of nesting all you files in one place. If you're not backing up one catastrophe and all is lost

I love the portability of recording to my iPad but they become problematic when it comes to storage space. I do record to my iPad but I immediately transfer the session to my desktop Pro Tools rig for finishing and storage.

If it's a light and easy one stop solution you're looking for I'd personally look towards a MacBook Air. Fast enough for audio, crazy light and portable and comes with GarageBand. That and an interface and off you go.
Although I don't work in the Mac realm, everything else in this post is exactly what I've found. I do the same with my ipad! Some things Joseph didn't mention, and also may be helpful are, if you have a specific DAW in mind, and you're going with a laptop, check what it recommends for screen resolution, to make sure that it will be easy to see what you're doing. Ipads with their small screens make it hard to mix effectively because everything is so small on the screen. And with a laptop see how many and what type of ports it has. Some interfaces, like the RME Babyface require (2) USB ports to help the voltage demands that it requires. And if you are going USB find out whether your interface would benefit from USB 3.

Last edited by rockabilly69; 06-21-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
I've had loads of problems in the past with audio pops and crackles and latency issues running Windows PCs. I much prefer Apple these days for doing music stuff and have had no more of those issues.
Although Apple computers are just fine. This is not the case anymore with a good Windows interface. I haven't heard a crackle or pop, or had a dropout in so long I don't remember. Newer Focusright, Audient, Presonus, and especially RME interfaces have stellar performance in Windows. And I couldn't recommend anything higher than the RME Babyface for your application. That thing would work plugged into an Edsel
Old 06-23-2016, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the replies. To answer some of your questions, no I don't have any software or hardware in mind. I will only be recording solo guitar but may have up to three tracks. I will not be doing much editing. I plan to keep it pretty basic.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
Thanks for the replies. To answer some of your questions, no I don't have any software or hardware in mind. I will only be recording solo guitar but may have up to three tracks. I will not be doing much editing. I plan to keep it pretty basic.
You may of course have other reasons outside of recording to want to lean towards a computer solution. Video and or photo editing ect. That said (and this is just me) three tracks and little editing screams for a stand alone type solution. You could get the entire shebang (pre-amps, converter, great effects, portability, great sound, ease of use and easy learning curve) for under $300.00 in the Zoom R8.

I never ever suggest a stand alone for those invested in the idea of editing. That territory is dominated by the current kings of DAW's. But for low track count and little editing the stand alone boxes are fantastic. I still have my original Akai D4 and my original VS 880. There is absolutely something to be said about recording to a device that doesn't include the sometimes distracting colorful GUI of a DAW. I tend to concentrate more on the audio and less on the flashing lights

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD