The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-22-2016, 01:54 AM

Default Home Recording

I've been trying to find ways on how to improve the audio quality in my guitar cover videos, and thought that you guys could help a lot.

I don't really have those expensive gadgets people use to record and I still don't have enough budget to purchase any gadget online or in a store because I don't have much money as a 14 year old.

As of now, these are the things I use to record covers:

- iPhone 5
- Earphones with microphone ( you can search them online if you're not sure on what they look like )
- Guitar Amplifier
- Standard Microphone
- Microphone Stand
- Mooer Micro Looper
- A Guitar ( Ofcourse )

As for my setup, it's just simple, I put my phone's back camera facing towards me, with the earphones plugged in, and I put the earphone's microphone infront of the guitar amplifier.

Here are my problems I wish to be solved:

- Whenever I loop a track, my Standard Microphone also records the wind therefore adding more wind to the sound that goes out from the amplifier which records to the phone ( The wind sound increases as I loop more tracks )
- The earphone's microphone could record the sound of my Looper making clicking noise as I press it to record tracks.
- My Standard Microphone could also record the sound of my Looper making clicking noises and it loops it which gets kinda annoying
- Too much wind noise even if I turn the fan off.

Are there any more ways to improve my set up? Or do I have to really purchase recording gadgets if I want a better audio quality?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:21 PM

I guess you don't have a pickup in the guitar? That would get rid of the 'wind noise' from the mic, which is hiss, not wind, I assume. You could turn the gain down on the amp, but then your recording volume might suffer.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-22-2016, 07:43 PM

Ok, you can get a Tascam Dr-05. it's a portable stereo recorder.

You can get one used on Ebay for like $50, surely you can scrounge up that with a few lawns mowed or sell stuff laying around your friends rooms.

I am confused thought, what are you recording with, the standard mic or the earphones and what is "wind", amp hiss? or a fan?

You need a free audio editor, then you can get rid of those clicks as well as sync the audio to the video which i assumed you are doing as well.

What i do for super quick video, is take my tascam and my digital camera and record the video and audio, then replace the camera audio with the mic audio.
Syncing it up takes a few minutes to get it perfect.
You should mess around with a free audio editor, you can do lots of things after recording such as take out hiss, etc.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonk#9 View Post
I am confused thought, what are you recording with, the standard mic or the earphones and what is "wind", amp hiss? or a fan?
I'm using my earphones to record.

I'm not quite sure what an amp hiss is, but whenever I loop a track, there's this wind noise coming with the looped track. I tried turning the fan off and it's still the same, I also tried unplugging my mic and just use my guitar to loop but it still has that wind noise whenever I loop.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 AM

Then skip the looper, get a cheap portable mic and record.

why do you need the looper? what does it actually do for you?
If you get some free audio software you can listen to pre recorded tracks while you record new ones and then put them all together.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD