The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2013, 08:05 PM

Default GS Mini - Hard Shell case or SKB foam case

I would like to ditch the original bag. Can i get some feedback from you which one of these alternatives you prefer and why?

The hard shell case looks more compact while the other looks more bulky. Flip side though I am sure the hard case is obviously heavier than the foam case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hard-She...item2ec642e1e9

or

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...&c=136&o=&s=75
Lindsay Marcus D - Sitka/Madi RW

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tom Sands Model S (Crystal) - Italian/Fiddleback Hog
Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM

it really depends on how you transport the mini. If more like a more expensive full sized where you want a case to protect very well and transport in vehicle then the hardshell. If you want to say hike or something the SKB will protect very well but be about the weight of the Taylor bag, Can use like a back pack.

Personally I like the hard shell case( which may very well be made by SKB) but if I was going to use it camping or hiking then the SKB soft case would be better.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 PM

Before I sold my Mini I went through the same debate. I was more leaning towards the SKB. I had a similar TKL plastic case with my Cole Clark, but it cracked when I bumped the case going down the stairs at a parking garage with concrete stairs. Seems to me that the SKB would be more durable, but I have to admit I like the aesthetic of the TKL better.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 AM

I don't have a Taylor but faced a similar choice. I bought a Tak Nex stage guitar and the genuine case was not available so I bought an SKB case almost identical to the one in your pic.

Some time later I started to look about for a slim, neat, light, better than a gig bag case. I bought an MBT Polyfoam and that's all I ever use now, the shoulder strap is great if you have other gear. A little trolley a few straps and guitar over the shoulder, in and out in one trip. The SKB hard case sits in the corner. If it was going in a truck I might use it. Oh, bought another MBT for the Tele as well and the Hiscox sits.

Kris
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 AM

SKB would be my choice.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:20 AM

where are you going to taking the guitar.. the mini is pretty durable.. I'd have no issues with just using the gigbag for around the town gigs.. slap it over my shoulder
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM

I'm curious as to why you want to replace the original bag? I have more trust in my mini's bag than in the hardcase that came with my martin. the mini is my travel guitar, I toss it around, throw it in the car, jam it into overhead compartments on planes, all with the mini in its bag. I just returned from a business trip where the case saved me from having to carry checked baggage: I stuffed my socks and underwear in the guitar, and padded the guitar with shirts and pants. it's amazing how much you can fit into that case. several times, I leaned the guitar against something, and it fell over, headstock first, onto the tile floor at the airport. I don't even bother to catch it when that happens, because the case protects the guitar perfectly. lastly I would not want a hard case because on small planes, I can only fit the mini if I squeeze the case into the overhead bin and slam it shut. in my experience, I have yet to see a guitar case that beats the one that comes with the mini.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 AM

Default 1SKB-SCGSM Hard/Soft EPS foam case

The textile hard bag/case by SKB (1SKB-SCGSM) is what I decided to go with. The 1SKB-GSM is a proper hardshell, but those huge latches sticking out made me choose the lighter, fabric covered, zipper-style, with more pockets and more carrying configurations (backpack straps). I don't like the long zipper around its circumference, but I've never had a case like these, so I figured it's worth a try.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:09 AM

Would the SKB and the hard shell both be considered of equal quality? In other words, would both protect the GS Mini equally well?
Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Would the SKB and the hard shell both be considered of equal quality? In other words, would both protect the GS Mini equally well?
The textile version will protect the GS Mini while not banging up your walls and car when you bump the case going through doorways and stuff. I wanted something that supported the GS Mini (from snapping in half, if something fell against it or on it), because the Taylor Bag relies on the GS Mini's own integrity to not snap in half (although it deserves credit for supporting the neck so well (for a bag)).

The hard plastic version will withstand being checked under a plane and having other people's baggage stacked on top of it. Much less storage for cables, books, tuners, straps, pedals, strings, etc. Will show scratches and little white dry-wall marks from bumping into walls very quickly and the extruded aluminum channels are more fragile than you'd think, but very water resistant while they line up properly.

The hard plastic version would be better for anytime "baggage handlers" or "roadies" transport your gear in planes or touring trailers. If you're just throwing it in the car, riding a bike, walking, or horseback riding, the textile version will be more practical and a lot lighter in weight, I think.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

I had the SKB hard bag for my GS Mini.

It was the best case I ever had.

It hugs the guitar better than any case I've ever seen. It has more padding and protection than any case I have ever seen.

Without a hard shell, its not as protective against stepping on it or dropping things on it, but it definitely protects the guitar way better from things like dropping the case.

To protect against an accidental stepping-on I would go with a hard case.

To protect against dropping down a flight of stairs I would go with the SKB hard bag every time.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I had the SKB hard bag for my GS Mini.

It was the best case I ever had.

It hugs the guitar better than any case I've ever seen. It has more padding and protection than any case I have ever seen.

Without a hard shell, its not as protective against stepping on it or dropping things on it, but it definitely protects the guitar way better from things like dropping the case.

To protect against an accidental stepping-on I would go with a hard case.

To protect against dropping down a flight of stairs I would go with the SKB hard bag every time.
Your testimony is very reassuring, since this will be my first "hard-foam" or whatever case. Textile medium shell? What am I supposed to do with the original beige gig bag now? It doesn't really fold up or anything. Is there any reason to keep the OG bag? To those who've gotten a case for theirs, did you ever use the original tan bag ever again?
Old 08-13-2014, 08:16 AM

For sure put the original one on eBay. Get some dough back.

People buy them for various reasons, e.g. someone on here wanted one cuz the one he'd got smelled of smoke.

I saw a nice GS Mini sans case on eBay once, the guy said the case had been ruined by wet mould, having been left in the garage (while guitar was indoors).

ps. I'm with Desert Twang, I find the Taylor bag more than adequate for carriage. Front pocket holds 4 cans of beer with ease !
I realise if I fall off my bike with it, it's probably toast, especially with the beers on board. Life's full of risks. ...

Last edited by Long Jon; 08-13-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:46 PM

Unhappy Flying Scenario

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I wanted to share a tale of warning.
These days the trouble is you can't be sure they are going to have room for your guitar in the overhead or closets.
If they do, then you should be fine with the soft shell.
Although keep in mind, if you are changing flights you will have to roll the dice again, and then again on your return.
But as you can probably guess at this point, the problem is if they don't have room on one of your flights, it's going under the plane.
And then it's anyone's guess if your dear guitar comes out alive.
If it's a beater than you might be fine with rolling the dice, but if you like your guitar, the best bet is a sleek but solid hard case.
By law they can't charge you an extra instrument fee anymore for carry-on, and "if there is room" they are supposed to let you at least try to find a spot for it.
But they can and do play with the "if there is room" clause.
So to increase your chances of there being enough room, make sure you are the first group (after 1st class) to board the plane.
Check with the airline but it's usually last rows first, so book a seat in the back and line up early for that first call.
They might still ask you to put it under the plane either at the check-in or after everyone has filled the plane, but at least you tried, and at least you have a hard case so it's protected
underneath.
The reason I am weighing in here, is because I tried the soft shell route and it ended up under the plane and died in transit ) :
RIP baby.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:13 PM

I purchased the SKB hardshell case - the original case was poor at keeping the guitar humidified last winter. I don't think the soft case will do any better than the original Taylor case. I was able to bring my GS mini on both Delta and United, it was small enough to fit in their coat closet on the planes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion