The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgaume View Post
I want to use these tracks as a sound check. I want to take a table and walk to the back of the venue and set different effects and levels for each venue.

Please share!
Think I've figured this out.

1.) Record a dry track, pre EQ onto the USB drive (you may want to record 1 of each track depending on what you're doing).
2.) Play back the dry track and go into the and add the FX to the USB channel as it's playing to get to the FX levels you want for the channel you're concentrating on (recommend setting USB gain to zero, just so you have a reference) for the channel.
3.) Transpose those FX settings to the Channel.
4.) Make another recording this time Post EQ as a final check, and set your speaker levels using that.

I only use 3 Channels (vocal, guitar, stomp box) so not a major undertaking to do it this way.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Think I've figured this out.

1.) Record a dry track, pre EQ onto the USB drive (you may want to record 1 of each track depending on what you're doing).
2.) Play back the dry track and go into the and add the FX to the USB channel as it's playing to get to the FX levels you want for the channel you're concentrating on (recommend setting USB gain to zero, just so you have a reference) for the channel.
3.) Transpose those FX settings to the Channel.
4.) Make another recording this time Post EQ as a final check, and set your speaker levels using that.

I only use 3 Channels (vocal, guitar, stomp box) so not a major undertaking to do it this way.
Perfect. That's what I would have expected. Haven;t tried the actual mechanics of it yet. Once you have your dry test tracks done once, you can use the same ones in any venue.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:06 PM

I have been enjoying this thread.

You guys have me half convinced to try replacing my Bose T1 module with the X12. I have to check to see if that connection is possible through a 1/4" speaker cable. The Bose L1 only accepts that unless I sub mix through the T1 which is possible but why do it if you don't have to.

I run a monthly guitar society meeting with my Bose L1. Most of the time it's two channels. On occasion, there are more channels than what I can provide. This might be a great solution.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 03-21-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I have been enjoying this thread.

You guys have me half convinced to try replacing my Bose T1 module with the X12. I have to check to see if that connection is possible through a 1/4" speaker cable. The Bose L1 only accepts that unless I sub mix through the T1 which is possible but why do it if you don't have to.

I run a monthly guitar society meeting with my Bose L1. Most of the time it's two channels. On occasion, there are more channels than what I can provide. This might be a great solution.

Not sure this mixer has features to offer, beyond the T1, besides more channels. I was originally interested in the T1, but this was cheaper. Let me know if you want to do a swap. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
You guys have me half convinced to try replacing my Bose T1 module with the X12. I have to check to see if that connection is possible through a 1/4" speaker cable.
Hi Vancebo

One nice thing about the T1 is that delivers DIGITAL signal to the L1mII. So there is no :

T1 >(digital/analog conversion) >audio cable> (analog/digital) conversion > L1 amp.

But there is
T1 > digital cable > (digital/analog conversion) > L1 amp
More clarity, more headroom, less latency, less noise.

See here the digital cable

So if you plan to use L1 mII don't sell the T1. It's still, in my opinion, the best thing you can have. Of course the digital processes could be outdated (but we have no evidence of that) but there are usually intended to compensate for a poor signal path...

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-21-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Vancebo

One nice thing about the T1 is that delivers DIGITAL signal to the L1mII. So there is no :

T1 >(digital/analog conversion) >audio cable> (analog/digital) conversion > L1 amp.

But there is
T1 > digital cable > (digital/analog conversion) > L1 amp
More clarity, more headroom, less latency, less noise.

See here the digital cable

So if you plan to use L1 mII don't sell the T1. It's still, in my opinion, the best thing you can have. Of course the digital processes could be outdated (but we have no evidence of that) but there are usually intended to compensate for a poor signal path...

Cuki
Actually, here's what Bose has to say regarding inputs to the L1 Model 2:

"Analog input, trim control and signal/clip LED for line-level analog input via ¼" TRS phone cable. Can be used for instruments or other audio sources like DJ mixers, MP3 players, computers or DVD systems." You can add the XR12 to this list...

So in addition to the proprietary digital connection of the T1 module and the L1, you also have a balanced analog connection. With the T1>L1 you have a D/A conversion at the L1. With the XR12 you'd have the D/A conversion at the output stage of the XR, so same # of conversion either way.

As to the "more clarity, more headroom, less latency, less noise", any latency inherent in the D/A conversion will be equal as will headroom. Clarity and noise will depend primarily on the skill and experience of the user in proper gain-staging and building the mix.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:32 AM

I had a few minutes last night to converse with a buddy who has been using the T1 mixer with his Bose L1. He's still a big fan, but he in considering a TC Play Acoustic instead. He doesn't need the extra channels, and he likes the the effects and body rez features on the TC Play Acoustic. I told him about the XR12 and how I am approximating the TC settings. He got very excited about that. You see... The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:10 PM

OK. So I finally had some time to kind of dial things in a little more. I've found a reverb I like.

I'm finding the UI pretty bewildering, though. I have the reverb on one of the effects, um, sends? buses? it's "effect 1." But then it seems I have three faders for that? One fader on the channel, one on "effect 1" channel, and then one on fx1?

Can someone explain what's going on before I dive into youtube?

Edit:

AHHHH! One is the send, one is the return, and one is the level on the channel.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:38 PM

I played a gig today, I was to start at 4PM (I'm a solo), but there was a 4 piece and 5 piece that were to go on before me. Everyone was there at about 10AM to setup and sound check.

I loved the looks on their faces when I opened my pelican case, plugged in my router / mixer. Set up my mic stand, strapped on the guitar, recorded a few short pieces to the USB stick, sat the guitar down and walked to the back of the house and set my levels.

I quickly was fielding questions on how I did that and showing off the interface to the other bands. Maybe I should get a reseller agreement in place with Bahringer.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 03-25-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I played a gig today, I was to start at 4PM (I'm a solo), but there was a 4 piece and 5 piece that were to go on before me. Everyone was there at about 10AM to setup and sound check.

I loved the looks on their faces when I opened my pelican case, plugged in my router / mixer. Set up my mic stand, strapped on the guitar, recorded a few short pieces to the USB stick, sat the guitar down and walked to the back of the house and set my levels.

I quickly was fielding questions on how I did that and showing off the interface to the other bands. Maybe I should get a reseller agreement in place with Bahringer.

That's awesome!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 PM

Can't wait to try this out!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:07 AM

Default Behringer XR12 Air Digital Mixer Tips and Tricks

You've all probably seen this, but I figured I'd mention it. I purchased my mixer with the Gator mixer bag as a package. This is a nicely made bag that fits the XR12 like a glove using the (2) supplied foam spacers. It fits the XR16 and XR18, should you choose to expand later.

I have the same style Gator bag for my electric guitar and it is also top of the line at a reasonable price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GMixer1306

Old 03-26-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
You've all probably seen this, but I figured I'd mention it. I purchased my mixer with the Gator mixer bag as a package. This is a nicely made bag that fits the XR12 like a glove using the (2) supplied foam spacers. It fits the XR16 and XR18, should you choose to expand later.

I have the same style Gator bag for my electric guitar and it is also top of the line at a reasonable price.

You're piquing my curiosity about these mixers. I'm thinking about getting one to use as a sub mixer for the acoustic instruments we use in a country band.

Stupid question but I have to ask it...Is there a problem with two people using ipads to make adjustments at the same time?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
You're piquing my curiosity about these mixers. I'm thinking about getting one to use as a sub mixer for the acoustic instruments we use in a country band.

Stupid question but I have to ask it...Is there a problem with two people using ipads to make adjustments at the same time?

I had both a computer and iPad connected. So, I suppose it would work. Maybe email their customer service before buying.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

I grabbed a little 4U shallow rack for like $80 for mine. Works great and I can chunk it in with the rest of the gear in the truck without worry.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification