The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 PM

This is rather intriguing... although I have no need to replace my two L1 classics any time soon.

I just the manual and the one thing I did not read, perhaps I missed it, is how a bass speaker is added. Not sure if the base unit is also a bass speaker, but it does not appear so. The manual shows setting up with a DJ environment, but with out a bass speaker/sub I do not see how the system will work well. My DJ rig consists of two L1 Classics and 4 B1s.

If there is no B1 equivalent, how does that impact acoustic players...? Probably not so much for some, while more impact on others... hmmm...
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain
Old 04-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinandTwang View Post
ahh the irony...
Irony? ... I'll take my preamp over anything the Bose unit has to offer...

Accepting TRS cables in the input solves that problem, for sure! I'm unsure as to why they didn't chose to go with a universal connector that accepts an array of choices...

That is good news for preamp users and ES users alike.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
I understand the speakers are smaller than those in the other L1 models, and they are not considered a true line array, more of a curve.

I also understand the guitar quarter-in DOES accept TRS balanced cables.
I haven't been able to establish whether the speakers are the same as in the larger units and if not, what there diameter is but clearly, they are arranged to form a line array albeit a short one.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Z View Post
...I just the manual and the one thing I did not read, perhaps I missed it, is how a bass speaker is added. Not sure if the base unit is also a bass speaker, but it does not appear so. The manual shows setting up with a DJ environment, but with out a bass speaker/sub I do not see how the system will work well. My DJ rig consists of two L1 Classics and 4 B1s.

If there is no B1 equivalent, how does that impact acoustic players...? Probably not so much for some, while more impact on others... hmmm...
The base does contain a woofer.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:11 PM

I agree ZB - a good preamp is a must. And what a good point - why NOT use those universal inputs, like on the T1, that accept 1/4, TRS, or XLR...

I did not see it in print, but more than one person posted that the drivers were 1 3/4 inch. Up to now the Bose L1 drivers have been 2 1/2.

----- just thinking out loud...

My thinking, and path to here, was - the original Bose was a tremendous innovation, in every way - sound, size - carry/setup, function - instrument/vocal/monitor/PA, and the cost while significant was acceptable.

I traversed with it from acoustic trio, to louder classic rock full band, added the T1, and later added in solo acoustic gigs - sounded great in every situation, but became more than I wanted to physically deal with for my solo work.

Enter Fishman SoloAmp, at a price point such that I bought one only seeing web promos - "if it covers and sounds only one-third as good as my Bose it will be more than enough", and it exceeded my benchmark significantly. Basically equivalent sound at least, very significant improvement in carry/setup - has served me greatly for over a year, for solo - still use Bose with the band. I came to realize that I LIKE the Fishman guitar sound - oversimplification but the Bose presets are excellent EQ settings, but they are not a preamp, they are not "tone", while the Fishman amplification has a tone personality and an "X-Factor" that I personally LIKE, actually very much (I know not all agree, and respect other views and opinions).

People, especially Bose Kool-Aiders, will find the Compact carry/setup to be a significant improvement - over the OLD Bose, but not so drastic over the SoloAmp, if at all. They will be surprised at the sonic similarity and how well it "keeps up" with the Old Bose, same as many feel about the SoloAmp. Been there.

I dig my Bose Classic for band, I dig my SoloAmp for solo acoustic. Only if the Compact sounds significantly better than my SoloAmp will I get one. My experience tells me this is unlikely, but that's why they keep playing the Super Bowl every year...

Just thinking out loud...
Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
...Only if the Compact sounds significantly better than my SoloAmp will I get one. My experience tells me this is unlikely, but that's why they keep playing the Super Bowl every year...

Just thinking out loud...
Strictly speaking in theory, one tweeter will not propagate the high frequencies as well as six or twenty-four. In practice, this may not be an issue for some performers especially since there isn't a lot of high frequency content in the sound of an acoustic guitar or the human voice but the limitation of having one tweeter in a line array stands out to me.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The base does contain a woofer.
Thanks... I must have missed that bit of info.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream” ~Mark Twain
Old 04-01-2009, 05:38 PM

I'm excited about this new piece of gear from Bose. I've gone from the Model 1 to the Model II with T1. Yes, I drank the Kool Aid. I am just tired of all the gear I carry from the car for each and every gig I play. I've eyed the Solo Amp and know that it would work very well for me. I just can't justify it presently. I'd probably go with the new Bose compact, however, because I own the T1 and need the extra inputs that it affords.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:58 PM

I bet you're correct about the single tweeter Herb. But, that (range, attribute) is the very least important to me. The overall sound and usability of the SoloAmp is just an excellent experience for me, for the last year. I would not be playing solo without it, at least not as actively or as frequently. Each of us is surely entitled to our own criteria, and opinions!

Best, Mike
Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I am guessing then that you could use a Bose T1 into the guitar channel.

That would help. The L1 Compact has built in ToneMatch presets. I don't know if those are changeable/upgradeable. So far, the mic channel has a preset called Handheld Microphone and the guitar channel has the Acoustic Guitar w/piezo preset.

Matt
Trust my eq settings to Bose? Only one eq "setting" per channel? How lame - that's a monumental design flaw.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Trust my eq settings to Bose? Only one eq "setting" per channel? How lame - that's a monumental design flaw.
I just took a look at the manual. I'm very surprised to find out that there are only EQ knobs for treble and bass on the mic channel and none on the guitar channel!

So to plug a guitar directly in you'd either have to have an on-board preamp with EQ or you are right you'd be totally trusting all of your EQ settings to the Bose EQ preset regardless of the room, the crowd, the situation, etc.

They must be counting on people to use a T1/mini mixer with this. I can't imagine plugging a guitar into something without being able to EQ it!

Matt
Old 04-02-2009, 06:24 AM
Eric Skye

I don't use reverb, but if I did, I'd need to bring along some. If I used pickups I'd need to bring along some more eq for sure. And with no phantom power I can't use my mic... I think with a few inexpensive features they could have really had something there, but to me that seems like one very stripped down mixer for a grand.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:25 AM

Matt and Kramster
Saw your posts on the BOSE Musicians site. I think this new system will have to be aired out here in practice more than theory. For all of us who lug stuff around, the new system looks very tempting. It does appear that unless you want to trust your guitar tone to a one size fits all preset and have a mic channel that lacks mid control, it leaves something to be desired. However, if you use a mixer or a T1 anyway, the option of using it "collapsed" or extended semms pretty darn cool. One thing is that I can't quite see where 6 smaller drivers are going to fill sound in such a way that the 24 larger drivers do. However, with that said, the output is lower at 200 watts, so pushing 6 drivers and the base cab with 200 watts might sound just as filling in smaller to medium venues.

Here is one thing I thought about and would like to hear what you all think. I have kept my BOSE Classic Model 1 for the larger venues or outdoor concert and benefit work. With the Genz Benz Compak 300 which I have grown to love in terms of ease of use and tone (plug and play even with a T5!), I could run a line out to the Compact BOSE and use it to fill sound. I still would have 300 watts coming out of the Compact 300 if I use an extension cab. That to me, sounds like a whole lot of options without having to lug the heavy base of the Model 1, the two radiator cylinders and the bass cab.
This is all theory until one of us gets their actual itchy fingers on one.

Another thought was that I ALWAYS had problems with feedback in smaller to medium venues where I did not have much room on stage and the PAS was behind me. I did all the corrective things with mic placement, angling the mic, etc. but feedback was always an issue. The Compact raises the array ABOVE the mic level and I am thinking that this may be a really good thing and will reduce feedback, letting you push more volume out, albeit only through the six drivers.
Thoughts?
davidc
Old 04-02-2009, 07:30 AM

I've found more information about the L1 Compact on the Bose Forum.

The woofer in the base has an 8 inch diameter and provides useable output down to 65 Hz. (The sixth string tuned down to C would be approximately 65.41 Hz, if A = 440 Hz). How many of us ever tune the 6th string that low? The lowest note of an LKSM-12 is 69.30 Hz. So the L1 Compact might have a deeper response than the SoloAmp's as it has a filter attenuating frequencies below 80 Hz and the bass response of it's 4-inch woofers likely wouldn't extend as low even without that filter.

The array speakers are smaller than those of the Model I and II.

Apparently, the available ToneMatch settings are:

Channel 1:
T1 ToneMatch Audio Engine equivalent: Handheld Mics
L1 Model I equivalent: 01 Handheld Microphones

Channel 2:
T1 ToneMatch Audio Engine equivalent: Acoustic Guitar w/piezo
L1 Model I equivalent: 40 Acoustic Guitar w/piezo
Old 04-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Hi David!
I agree it's all a lot of speculation about the L1 Compact and all of my current thoughts might change once I see one, hear one, play through one, etc. I think the speculation is part of the fun. I enjoy thinking about how new gear could fit in my life, what is good about it, what is not so good, etc. It's a good way to stimulate some excitement before the actual launch of a product.

Everyone has different wants and needs when it comes to a sound system. I have been using an L1 since January of 2005. There are better sounding systems out there but in my opinion and for what I do, there is no system that does everything as well as the Bose L1. It would be great to have one in a smaller package but I would rather haul around the full sized L1 and be guaranteed the power, coverage and disbursement if I need it.

I bought my Schertler set up (Unico and Side) with the thought of moving to a system that was a bit smaller and easier to transport. (plus the sound is wonderful) But with the types of shows I play and with where I am in my career, I need to get my music out to as many people as possible.

I played on the beach in Key West for 5 days in February. I'd have people come up and buy CD's who were quite far away from me. They'd tell me they had been enjoying the music all day.

That would simply not be possible with my Scherlter set up or really any conventional speaker set up no matter how great they sound. This is just a guess but I don't think it would happen with the L1 Compact. If I could make it happen with 2 L1 Compacts, or 1 L1 Compact and an extension speaker by the time I set all of that up, I could have my one L1 Model 2 set up and not have to fool with setting up and adjusting different speakers, etc.

But that's just me. I keep the Unico in the car for anything small and use the Bose L1 for everything else so I don't really know when or where I'd use an L1 Compact but it is fun to speculate!

With regard to your feedback problems, I don't really know what to say. It is very rare that I run into any feedback trouble. Have you tried an Audix OM-5? Those are very feedback resistant. That is my go-to mic when I'm crammed in a tight spot and need some volume.

Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification