The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Default Blue Chip Picks - NPD?

This is not a paid advertisement by any means but I just wanted to take a few moments to tell you about this magic guitar pick. I received it in the mailbox about 30 minutes ago and I had to hop on here to tell you that it is well worth the $35 price tag. Although, it may seem steep for a guitar pick, this thing really does bring out a sweet, soft, and melodic sound from my guitar.

I bought the CT 55 which if I’m not mistaken is the Chris Thile signature pick and the 55 is the thickness in millimeters? It’s a relatively larger sized pick, as I was expecting since he is a mandolin player. However, this pick is perfect for acoustic guitar playing. Especially perfect for me and my clumsy butter fingers that can’t seem to hold onto my pick for more than 5 songs.

I know there are plenty of discussions about these picks, but I am true believer in them. They are made of alien space material that translates to a magic tonality like you’ve never heard your instrument before. Feel free to share your thoughts below!

Cheers,

Ty
Old 03-19-2018, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the addiction we call the world of boutique picks. If you get it...you get it. Enjoy that thing!!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-19-2018, 01:29 PM

Blue Chips are truly excellent. Be careful you don't start looking at some of the others as there are some great picks out there these days.

For people looking for tone, volume, control and speed, I can only offer one thing.............

Old 03-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
...I bought the CT 55 which if I’m not mistaken is the Chris Thile signature pick and the 55 is the thickness in millimeters?...
From my past experience in a machine shop is pleases me to no end that their picks are not measured in millimeters, but thousandths of an inch. So your CT 55 is 0.055". For the sake of comparison to other brands, that is about 1.40 mm.

Congrats on your first BC. There are other good picks out there, but BC is my first choice in the realm of premium picks, actually the only brand that I've stuck with long term. Now you need the hat. :-)

Old 03-19-2018, 01:54 PM

Got my first Blue Chip a few weeks ago as well, a TP50-1R. Haven't used the rounded end hardly at all, but I'm sold on the pick in general. Haven't touched my Wegen's 1.4 Bluegrass picks since. I'm considering the 60 instead of the 50 though, and based on my usage of the rounded end I'm not sure if I'd rather keep that as an option in case I decide to start using it, as it means I also have the chance of grabbing the pick and having the wrong end down.

I agree though, I noticed overall tone and volume control improvement essentially immediately. I feel like I can get more volume easier with the Wegen, but the smoothness is not equal to the Blue Chip.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
From my past experience in a machine shop is pleases me to no end that their picks are not measured in millimeters, but thousandths of an inch. So your CT 55 is 0.055". For the sake of comparison to other brands, that is about 1.40 mm.

Congrats on your first BC. There are other good picks out there, but BC is my first choice in the realm of premium picks, actually the only brand that I've stuck with long term. Now you need the hat. :-)

Todd is correct on the conversion to millimeters. Because Blue Chip was in the machining business for many years before they got into picks, their model numbers all represent thousandths of an inch as to the thickness of that particular model. For some reason, the machining world never got the memo that metric is much easier, but this goes for most the nation as well.

Thrilled that you love it. Wonderful company and products.

scott memmer
Old 03-19-2018, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Todd beat me to it, I was quite relishing that 55 m/m would be about 1/4" thick.
Never mind.

I resisted the BlueChip scam for ages ... until I got one.
Now I have a TAD50 for each dread, and my jumbo, (and tad-50 3r for mando) and a TAD40 for every smaller guitar - 000, 00 and wl-12.

I prefer Wegens for 12 strings.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 03-20-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Todd beat me top it, I was quite relishing that 55 m/m would be about 1/4" thick.
Never mind.

I resisted the BlueChip scam for ages ... until I got one.
Now I have a TAD50 for each dread, and my jumbo, (and tad-50 3r for mando) and a TAD40 for every smaller guitar - 000, 00 and wl-12.

I prefer Wegens for 12 strings.
Actually 2.17 inches! For that thick tone everyone is looking for
Old 03-19-2018, 03:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
Actually 2.17 inches! For that thick tone everyone is looking for
Now THAT is funny.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

There are some great picks out there (and discussed in other AGF threads) but my go-to are TAD 40 and TAD 50 BC picks. I have used them for a while and have a pretty good collection of other picks. However, I seem to find my way back to BC.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Depends on the manufacturer what units they use. Dunlop, Wegen, Goat Whiskey, Charmed Life and others use mm. Blue Chip is one of the few that actually uses thousandths of an inch.

I am a fan of Blue Chip with bevels. Depending on my guitar and my mood, I'm partial to the TAD 40 and TAD 50 picks.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 03-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarsnpucks View Post
I had to hop on here to tell you that it is well worth the $35 price tag
Ty
Agreed! If I'm going to shell out a few thousand dollars for a good guitar, I have no problem spending $35 on a pick to play it. I have a few Blue Chip and Red Bear picks and I'm coveting Goat Whiskey picks and those made by Charmed Life. They're next on my wish list. Heck, I'd probably buy a Goat Whiskey pick just for the name . . .

“We are all bozos on this bus."

1967 D-28 (still on warranty) / 1969 homemade Mastertone / 1977 OME Juggernaught / 2003 D-42 / 2006 HD-28V burst / 2010 Little Martin / 2012 Custom Shop HD-28V / 2014 Taylor 356ce 12 / 2016 Martin D-28 Authentic
Old 03-19-2018, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

30 minutes and you're already talking about it? Didn't you let it properly acclimate?!?!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcran View Post
30 minutes and you're already talking about it? Didn't you let it properly acclimate?!?!

I know! I already can see checking on one of the corners... oh no! 🤪
Old 03-19-2018, 09:35 PM

where is the thread where you talk picks and post pics of picks?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion