The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 AM

If you like the Taylor neck the Emerald should be a pretty good fit, although they will do a custom profile that mimics the Taylor profile.
As to the Emerald vs. Rainsong, the Rainsong is a bit “beefier” to my feel and the flatter fretboard does feel differn’t at first coming from my Taylor, but I have no issues switching back and forth.
Good luck in the search.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:43 AM

Yup, I also have a Taylor (312ce) I switch between that and my X7 no problem,
I think Methos (although he may not actually like it himself) nailed it with “like a Taylor C shape , but a bit flattened off at the back” .
Seems fine to me, but I’m maybe not that fussy, I also really like my fairly chunky Martin Mod-V neck.
Only necks I don’t like are very skinny ones.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
.....in terms of tone, how would you compare the X20-12 to the 12 neck of the Chimaera? The bodies on these two guitars are quite different, the X20 has the integrated soundport, and it isn’t susceptible to the tone bleed/sympathetic vibrations of a second neck. So I suspect the comparison may be apples and oranges. Something similar may be true for the X20-6 vs. the 6 neck of the Chimaera (I realize you don’t have the hands-on experience with the latter comparison)?

Emeralds have a long decay, sustaining for a long time. Have you noticed this on your X20-12 and if so, does it cause any muddiness, or is it tight with crystal clear note separation when fingerpicked? I value your opinion. Thanks!
The X20-12 and the twelve string side of the Chimaera are pretty comparable tonally in my opinion. Chimaera was a bit on the quiet side acoustically compared to my other CF six string guitars, but driving that extra wide top surface would take more energy. Although it is a wider guitar body, Chimaera does not feel all that big. I don't recall tone bleed between the two necks as a big issue either. Yes, it was there, but not enough to be a problem. I did put the six string neck into Open G tuning and played standard tuning songs in G on the twelve string neck. Lots of sympathetic strings in that case. Maybe if I were recording and only using one neck at a time, I might want to dampen the other strings with a hair scrunchie or something similar.

As part of my comparison to the Taylor, I put new identical strings on both guitars on the same day. Part of that was removing the octaves on the factory set, which temporarily left me a six string X20 with a wide 1-7/8" neck and light gauge strings (54-12). Although the set up was not ideal, the tone was fine and the neck felt great. I can certainly see the value of a six string X20. If I didn't already have a WS-1000 and a Lucky 13, I might spring for an Opus X20, or look for a used Artisan X20 six string.

I have not dissected the tone of my Emerald to the degree that I can comment intelligently about sustain at this time. To some degree, all CF guitars have longer sustain than wood. Being very happy with X20-12 by itself, and in direct comparison to my Taylor GA twelve string, I simply accepted it as wonderful. But the next time I get it out for more serious play (likely this weekend) I will pay more attention to those aspects and report back here. As you know, it is my intention to sell the Taylor 354-LTD at some point, because the Emerald is a fine upgrade with a mellow voice (reminds me of my old Seagull S12 with a cedar top -- warmer and mellower than a spruce topped twelve string). Having been happy with that Taylor twelve string for 15 years, I'm really liking the Emerald X20-12 -- a LOT. Then only reason I might keep the Taylor is to have a second twelve string guitar in alternate tunings.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
The X20-12 and the twelve string side of the Chimaera are pretty comparable tonally in my opinion. Chimaera was a bit on the quiet side acoustically compared to my other CF six string guitars, but driving that extra wide top surface would take more energy. Although it is a wider guitar body, Chimaera does not feel all that big. I don't recall tone bleed between the two necks as a big issue either. Yes, it was there, but not enough to be a problem. I did put the six string neck into Open G tuning and played standard tuning songs in G on the twelve string neck. Lots of sympathetic strings in that case. Maybe if I were recording and only using one neck at a time, I might want to dampen the other strings with a hair scrunchie or something similar.

As part of my comparison to the Taylor, I put new identical strings on both guitars on the same day. Part of that was removing the octaves on the factory set, which temporarily left me a six string X20 with a wide 1-7/8" neck and light gauge strings (54-12). Although the set up was not ideal, the tone was fine and the neck felt great. I can certainly see the value of a six string X20. If I didn't already have a WS-1000 and a Lucky 13, I might spring for an Opus X20, or look for a used Artisan X20 six string.

I have not dissected the tone of my Emerald to the degree that I can comment intelligently about sustain at this time. To some degree, all CF guitars have longer sustain than wood. Being very happy with X20-12 by itself, and in direct comparison to my Taylor GA twelve string, I simply accepted it as wonderful. But the next time I get it out for more serious play (likely this weekend) I will pay more attention to those aspects and report back here. As you know, it is my intention to sell the Taylor 354-LTD at some point, because the Emerald is a fine upgrade with a mellow voice (reminds me of my old Seagull S12 with a cedar top -- warmer and mellower than a spruce topped twelve string). Having been happy with that Taylor twelve string for 15 years, I'm really liking the Emerald X20-12 -- a LOT. Then only reason I might keep the Taylor is to have a second twelve string guitar in alternate tunings.
Thanks Earl. Much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I had a brief email exchange with Sean regarding the X-20 neck profile and, based on his response and the input of you all, I believe I now have a good understanding of how it would feel to me.

I think I prefer more of a soft V profile, but Sean quoted a $500 upcharge for that, so I’m thinking I can live with the stock profile. lol

Again, thanks to those of you in here who chipped in with your experiences.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I assume that the necks on my past Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doublenecks are the same as that of the stock X20. To me, it’s just slightly chunkier than a Taylor neck, especially up past the 12th fret. A couple of weeks ago, I tried my first-ever Rainsong, a used P12 at a Guitar Center. Perhaps this model wasn’t the best RS for me to try because I wasn’t that impressed with it overall. The neck definitely seemed chunkier (U) to me. If that’s how most RSs feel, then they’re not for me. I had some interest in a CH-OM, but if the neck is like the P12, I wouldn’t like it.
Tom, I think you nail the descriptions here. Interesting you finally tried a Rainsong. That profile is the same on all their guitars. I like you found it chunky, which seemed totally out of place on a Parlor, one of the reasons I sold mine. On my JM1000 it feels more in place cause that is a huge guitar, and gives me a old Gibson vibe.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-25-2018, 04:09 PM
Guest 928

I bought my Rainsong Parlor sight unseen. At first I found the neck off-putting. But I found myself liking the neck the more I played it. The Parlor also has a shorter scale than I was used to, and I've gotten to like that.

I suspect there is some value in changing neck profile, scales, and set-ups in that the human body changes with time and sometimes what we really like at one moment may not be so likable the next. Also, I've come to view changes between my various guitars as forms of exercise and adaptation.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:06 PM

I’ve been going through the same thing for the better part of a year. I just bought X7 and am hoping of the best on neck profile. It sounds user friendly

Last edited by jaan; 01-25-2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Wrong thread ....
Old 01-25-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I bought my Rainsong Parlor sight unseen. At first I found the neck off-putting. But I found myself liking the neck the more I played it. The Parlor also has a shorter scale than I was used to, and I've gotten to like that.

I suspect there is some value in changing neck profile, scales, and set-ups in that the human body changes with time and sometimes what we really like at one moment may not be so likable the next. Also, I've come to view changes between my various guitars as forms of exercise and adaptation.
I’ve found fingers don’t grow?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 09-10-2020, 04:37 AM

Can anyone recommend specs (neck thickness/depth) for a thinner X20 neck? It's hard to find actual neck thickness measurements of other guitars and get a reference value in inch ..
Old 09-10-2020, 07:53 AM

I bought an X-20 about a year ago and I've been unhappy with the neck profile ever since. I have an old Rainsong WS-1000 that I've had for almost twenty years and I like the neck profile. I also have a CA GX which I like too. I just can't get used to the neck on the X-20. I bought it for the arm bevel which I like. The Rainsong has a deeper body which I'm finding a bit uncomfortable on the right arm after playing a lot. The CA is the easiest to play probably because it has the lowest action. I wanted a good couch guitar and the X-20 would be that if I didn't dislike the neck. I'm mostly playing my Loar LH-700 archtop on the couch now. The Rainsong is my acoustic jam guitar: loud and bright. The CA is my stage guitar: easy playing and sounds great plugged in.

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-10-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat18 View Post
I bought an X-20 about a year ago and I've been unhappy with the neck profile ever since. I have an old Rainsong WS-1000 that I've had for almost twenty years and I like the neck profile. I also have a CA GX which I like too. I just can't get used to the neck on the X-20. I bought it for the arm bevel which I like. The Rainsong has a deeper body which I'm finding a bit uncomfortable on the right arm after playing a lot. The CA is the easiest to play probably because it has the lowest action. I wanted a good couch guitar and the X-20 would be that if I didn't dislike the neck. I'm mostly playing my Loar LH-700 archtop on the couch now. The Rainsong is my acoustic jam guitar: loud and bright. The CA is my stage guitar: easy playing and sounds great plugged in.
You don't have by chance neck thickness measurement in inches as described under this link? All I can usually find are nut widths doing researching on guitars.

Last edited by Acousticado; 09-10-2020 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:42 AM

Tryout, I don't have the dimensions that you want handy. But even if I did, those raw dimensions are the only a crude gauge of playing "feel". Feel is a complex combination of nut width, string spacing at the nut and at the saddle, radius of the fret board, degree of rolled edges, fret height, and sunspot activity. OK that last one is facetious.

I prefer Taylor necks in general, and have no issue playing my X20 or our other Emeralds for hours. Ditto for my other current guitars too. If anything is different it is the X20-12 string, which has a wider 1-7/8" nut width that feels a bit flatter. I cannot tell if the slight extra hand fatigue is from the neck profile or (far more likely) because it is a twelve string? The only way to know for sure would be to cut a new nut and covert it to a six string for a while. My X20 came to me used because the previous owner did find it painful to play for extended periods. He likes the feel of his Taylor and McPherson Sable guitars better. His loss, my gain.

It is a notable upcharge (~$650) but Emerald will build you almost any neck profile that you want. They send a dental mold kit and you make a casting of your preferred neck and send it back to them. Then they duplicate that neck contour on your custom guitar. Like lat18, I have a nearly 20 year old Rainsong (2001 WS-1000) with the original N1 neck and I prefer that neck over the later N2. Rainsong recently announced that you can now order their guitars with the original N1 neck again, but no truss rod. I don't recall if that only applies to their new spruce veneered Vintage series, or in general.

Last edited by Earl49; 09-10-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:37 AM

No I don't. My beef with the X-20 neck is that it's too "U" shaped, too thick at the edges. I like more of a "C" shape. The Loar neck is more of a soft "V", considerably thicker than the carbon guitars, but for some reason that doesn't bother me.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:05 PM

Hmmm, usually it is the N2 neck that has some folks complaining here. This is twice now in a couple months that I've heard people don't care for the Emerald profile. I've not personally played one but if it is somewhere between a thin profile and the N2/ NS that might actually be a good thing to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber