The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Exert force to latch HS case lid for breaking in?
Perfectly normal to ensure a snug fit! 14 53.85%
No...acoustic tops are especially delicate... 11 42.31%
I'm not sure... 1 3.85%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

I see nothing unusual in the video. All they’re doing is compressing the foam padding inside the case.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Both the cases for my Mark Angus guitars require a little "jiggling and pressing" to get them to close fully... I'm talking about a small amount of pressure on the top of the case and inwards, slightly, on the side of the case near the lower treble bout of the guitar... the guitars are 38 and 33 years old, respectively, and the case for the 12 string has ALWAYS been that way, while the 6 string case (REALLY beat up!) has just started this in the past year or two...

The guitars fit in the cases just fine, they snug down below the top line of the lower portion of the case and all; it's just that final closing of the lid over that one spot that needs some help.

And they haven't given me any grief with the guitars at all...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 11-05-2017, 09:56 PM

That applies only to Ameritage cases which are designed that way with medium-density foam padding that compresses to form a cocoon around the guitar. I won't try that with an SKB or a TKL or any other case constructed like a TKL.

Love Ameritage cases but they weigh a ton and I don't trust checking one into the cargo hold. Given its bulk and weight, it is more likely to be abused than handled gently. The hot and bothered cargo handlers tend to mete out special abuse on these cases knowing that they are not supposed to. People are mean that way. Oh well, they don't have the highest paying jobs so I don't begrudge them. Just plan ahead in expectation of the worst.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:21 PM

My Taylor fits in the case very snugly. The first time I re-cased it I had to push down on the lower bout to get it back in, but it never concerned me. I just thought it was cool that the case was made so that it fit the guitar well.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 11-05-2017, 10:22 PM

Looks a bit too snug to me, but, I guess the guitar can take it. I don't like a case that is too snug or that needs breaking-in from my guitar. Has anyone ever had any damage to a guitar from too much pressure from a case?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:22 AM

None of my cases require any downward force. The Calton closing hardware does take some muscle.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 AM

I'm not sure what counts as "considerable" force -- I find that if I just drop a bowling ball from a height of about . . . NO.

A little downward pressure with a couple of fingers at the edge to get the lower bout into a case with firm, snug-fitting foam? Sure, with some cases, and it does change, slightly, over time (maybe much more than slightly if we give it a whole lot of time). Depending on the type of foam used, as well as the fit, one might easily feel this putting the guitar in the case. Maybe even slight -- slight -- pressure lining up the edges of the case, and getting them to sit properly, with some cases; and some latches might be a little more stiff than others.

"Considerable" as in having any sense of forcing the thing, much less having to exert yourself? Seems a recipe for disaster.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
This!!! +1

It may take a while, but even through normal use, it may take years for your new case to open up. But, once you do, you'll notice the extreme difference in how much better it stores your guitar. You may even notice an increase in protective ability....
I just tapped the top of my case. So musical.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
case, hardshell, pressure, snug, tight