The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-01-2017, 01:24 PM

We could do that!

Mister K?

Messrs K and H assure the public, their production will be second to none...
Old 11-01-2017, 02:44 PM
Guest 928

I look forward to some swoonish video.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:42 PM

And, of course, Henry the Horse dances the waltz...
Old 11-01-2017, 07:44 PM

I recon we can try a waltz
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

My ‘02 Taylor 814c is my best sounding guitar. If any Savoy owners also own or have experience with an 814 (especially the pre 2014 revoiced), I’d appreciate your thoughts about tone comparison. Different is ok, a little less volume is ok, but given that the Savoy is in the price range of the 814ce (assuming all the options including burst finish) for me to buy one, its signature tone better be as good in terms of balance, note separation, no muddiness. Videos I’ve seen tend to suggest so, but first-hand impressions are best. Thanks to anyone in a position to share your views.

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-11-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
My ‘02 Taylor 814c is my best sounding guitar. If any Savoy owners also own or have experience with an 814 (especially the pre 2014 revoiced), I’d appreciate your thoughts about tone comparison. Different is ok, a little less volume is ok, but given that the Savoy is in the price range of the 814ce (assuming all the options including burst finish) for me to buy one, its signature tone better be as good in terms of balance, note separation, no muddiness. Videos I’ve seen tend to suggest so, but first-hand impressions are best. Thanks to anyone in a position to share your views.
Tommy... opinions on guitar tone are subjective. VERY subjective. The best sounding CF guitars, to my ear, that I've ever played have been RainSongs. I like them very much, and have been quite vocal in expressing how much I love the voice of my CH-OM1100NS! But even with that, I would have to say that my Martin OM-28V (around $3k in price range) exists in a higher plane of overall tone quality.

I don't know exactly what your 814ce sounds like, but I think it likely sounds fantastic. And, I would bet money from my experience with Savoy that you will find that the Savoy does not match your Taylor in sound quality, much less exceed it. This is not to say that you would dislike the sound of the Savoy - simply that I would not rate its tone as being "exceptionally fine".

Again, all of this is subjective and just my personal opinion, but CF (and other guitars in that category of "alternative" materials) have as their primary draw... imperviousness to changes in temperature and humidity. Many of them do sound very pleasing as well! But I still give the nod, in terms of overall sound quality, to the higher-end instruments from Martin, Taylor, et al.

Even though I rate the tone quality of my OM-28V above any CF or alternative-material guitar that I've ever played, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and enjoy the tone quality of my Rainsong. Similarly, you may not find the Savoy as pleasing tonally as your 814ce, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy the Savoy.

If you're looking to replace your 814ce with a Savoy, and basing that decision on tone quality, my hunch is that you won't be replacing your Taylor.

Last edited by DHart; 11-11-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Tommy... opinions on guitar tone are subjective. VERY subjective. The best sounding CF guitars, to my ear, that I've ever played have been RainSongs. I like them very much, and have been quite vocal in expressing how much I love the voice of my CH-OM1100NS! But even with that, I would have to say that my Martin OM-28V (around $3k in price range) exists in a higher plane of overall tone quality.

I don't know exactly what your 814ce sounds like, but I think it likely sounds fantastic. And, I would bet money from my experience with Savoy that you will find that the Savoy does not match your Taylor in sound quality, much less exceed it. This is not to say that you would dislike the sound of the Savoy - simply that I would not rate its tone as being "exceptionally fine".

Again, all of this is subjective and just my personal opinion, but CF (and other guitars in that category of "alternative" materials) have as their primary draw... imperviousness to changes in temperature and humidity. Many of them do sound very pleasing as well! But I still give the nod, in terms of overall sound quality, to the higher-end instruments from Martin, Taylor, et al.

Even though I rate the tone quality of my OM-28V above any CF or alternative-material guitar that I've ever played, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate and enjoy the tone quality of my Rainsong. Similarly, you may not find the Savoy as pleasing tonally as your 814ce, but that doesn't mean you wouldn't enjoy the Savoy.

If you're looking to replace your 814ce with a Savoy, and basing that decision on tone quality, my hunch is that you won't be replacing your Taylor.
Thanks for your input, D. I’m just hoping that the Savoy comes close in an alternate sound/tone quality/clarity where all the other aspects of its intimate, smaller size which I find so endearing about my Cargo, are what I’m wanting. I believe Ted has stated that the Savoy has Collings tonal qualities which seems like high praise, except that unfortunately, I’ve never heard or played a Collings.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Hi Tom,

I've played them both of course, but it's an apples vs oranges comparison, not dollar for dollar. Not to mention that you're considering a $1000 worth of options that have nothing to do with tone. As noted here before, as far as wood guitars, the Savoy is closest in tone to the Cedar/Rosewood Lowden S25, a guitar that will run you about a $1000 more than a Taylor 814c. Course the additional $1000 will not guarantee that you will like the tone as much, or more than your 814c, because that's just not how things work.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Tom,

I've played them both of course, but it's an apples vs oranges comparison, not dollar for dollar. Not to mention that you're considering a $1000 worth of options that have nothing to do with tone. As noted here before, as far as wood guitars, the Savoy is closest in tone to the Cedar/Rosewood Lowden S25, a guitar that will run you about a $1000 more than a Taylor 814c. Course the additional $1000 will not guarantee that you will like the tone as much, or more than your 814c, because that's just not how things work.
True. Thanks Ted.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Ted, I just listened to a few videos of talented players playing the Lowden S25. If the Savoy is in the realm of the S25s tone, clarity and sustain, then it must be wonderful. I could be very happy with that.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Ted, I just listened to a few videos of talented players playing the Lowden S25. If the Savoy is in the realm of the S25s tone, clarity and sustain, then it must be wonderful. I could be very happy with that.
Easy, Tom, I said the S25 was the closest tonally, not the same.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Easy, Tom, I said the S25 was the closest tonally, not the same.
I also just revisited some Savoy videos, so I understand.

Boy, I have GAS bad...even selling my new coco Chimaera is percolating in my mind. Geezus!

Last edited by Acousticado; 11-11-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Life is short. Buy the savoy. That's what I did. It will be the guitar I give to my grandkids one day. Or great grand kids.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I wonder how a purfling around the top edge would look, maybe matching the herringbone around the soundhole. I’m curious if Joe considered this and if it’s possible, even if as a custom option. Does anyone else think it might look really good, or is the current simplicity a part of its attractiveness. Just dreaming.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:27 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
Life is short. Buy the savoy. That's what I did. It will be the guitar I give to my grandkids one day. Or great grand kids.
I wish I had the spare funds to do that. I have to sell something first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber