The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-04-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwocky View Post
There are 3 levels of Hiscox cases:

the Standard, the Pro 2 and the Artist. I won't check in the Standard. I use the Pro 2 and Artist. I won't use the Standard. The Standard is not sold in the US anyway but may be supplied with some guitars.

Important to know which Hiscox you have got. The Standard is good enough for schlepping about town. It is not that tough.
I have a Pro 2.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:41 AM

Just to muddy the waters . . . . I have a question

I own 3 UK Caltons for 3 handmade guitars by luthiers who ordinarily use or recommend Hiscox cases for their instruments; and own/have owned 2 Hiscox Liteflite cases, one for a Lowden O25C and the other, just purchased, for a newly-acquired Fender Tele. The Caltons look like standard acoustic guitar cases except they are built like tanks, which is one of the reasons they are excellent flight cases. They're probably bulletproof and can successfully repel a tank shell. Brynn Hiscox told me his cases are designed to withstand the kind of abuse common with airline travel, and although the case may be damaged or crushed, the instrument within will be unharmed and intact. But the Caltons are heavy, which make carrying them about a bit of a chore especially if one has a bad back, and the Hiscox cases (never particularly attractive) are much lighter but bulky and, at times, awkward to carry.

Three manufacturers, Hoffee, Karura and Visenut, have started selling their cases in the US and UK. Both cases are as, or more expensive than, Caltons but supposed to be lighter, probably about the same weight as a Hiscox and just as strong and tough as a Calton. Does anyone here have any experience with either or both of these cases? I'm waiting for a new acoustic OM to be completed and am considering purchasing a proper flight case in addition to, or instead of, the standard TKL case normally supplied. I don't travel by air as much as I once did, but want to have a dependable but lightweight flight case that can withstand the rigours of air travel.

Suggestions? Bite the bullet and buy another Calton, try an even costlier (but lighter) Hoffee or Karura, or be confident that a Hiscox is sufficient to withstand the onslaught of airport handlers, et al., even if the guitar is carefully packed (something else Brynn taught me how to do) and hand-carried into the cargo hold?

Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

MARTIN 1965 D-12-20
1999 D-45 SS
00 000-42 ECB
02 000-28 ECB
09 MC-18 WM
09 000-18 Marquis
11 J-SO!
12 J-12SO!
12 D-41 CS
13 M-30 JK
14 OMC-45
15 D-222
16 OM-45 CS
17 OMC-21 CS
72 Guild Mark II
76 Gurian S3M
96 Sobell Model 1
97 Bown 000
2000 Aram Hauser
04 Gibson J-185 Ren Ferguson
11 Apollonio 12-string
13 Kovácik 000-42
18 Aram Hauser cutaway
21 Bown OM cutaway

Last edited by Cinematograph; 05-21-2017 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 05-20-2017, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

I know a number of British professional musicians who travel extensively around the world with their instruments in Hiscox Pro-ll or Artist cases. I don't know of any of those artists whose instruments have been damaged by airlines. Two of my UK friends toured in Australia and New Zealand Jan-Mar this year, they took a Martin HD-35 in a Hiscox Pro-ll case, with no problems.

I assume you do insure your instruments properly for travel?

As an aside, I've seen a Hiscox case reversed into by an automobile. The case, as you would expect, was 'damaged', the guitar inside it was untouched.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 05-20-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
I know a number of British professional musicians who travel extensively around the world with their instruments in Hiscox Pro-ll or Artist cases. I don't know of any of those artists whose instruments have been damaged by airlines. Two of my UK friends toured in Australia and New Zealand Jan-Mar this year, they took a Martin HD-35 in a Hiscox Pro-ll case, with no problems.

I assume you do insure your instruments properly for travel?

As an aside, I've seen a Hiscox case reversed into by an automobile. The case, as you would expect, was 'damaged', the guitar inside it was untouched.

Never consider going to New Zealand without a Hiscox case for the guitar and one for me, too....

And JayBee, we are volunteering you to back your car in to your Hiscox to check it works!

BluesKing777.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
And JayBee, we are volunteering you to back your car in to your Hiscox to check it works!

BluesKing777.
I did!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 05-20-2017, 08:02 PM

Can someone tell me what kind of case this is that my guitar came in? I honestly have no idea

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 08:42 PM

Accord... is tbe case above, how are these compared to hoffee?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2017, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzOMGuy View Post
Can someone tell me what kind of case this is that my guitar came in? I honestly have no idea

Wow! Now that's a pretty case!

Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Old 05-21-2017, 02:03 AM

To answer the question posed by Cinematograph, I own two Karuras, with which I am very happy, and one Hiscox Pro II - also very happy. I think my OM sized Karuras are noticeably heavier than the dreadnought sized Hiscox, and, having traveled a fair bit with each, I think I'll go with Hiscox in the future. This is just based on the price and amount of damage I've seen the cases take, as well as the weight. I believe the Hiscox may well be damaged beyond use at some point, but I doubt the instrument will unless it is a catastrophic event. It would take at least four such incidents with the Hiscox to match the price of the Karura.

The Karura is certainly lighter than any Calton.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
It's important to note that the ABS is just the skin. The protection comes from the rigid foam. The ABS skin should prevent most punctures, but it is intended to work with the foam as a system. If the skin gets punctured and your guitar is ok, it did its job. Buy another and be happy your guitar survived. At least that's my take. I don't want to spend upward of $1000 on a case that it too heavy to want to carry day to day. If I were a pro musician flying every week, it would be a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you watch the video on the cases this is correct.

I have owned 3 Pro cases in the past 6 years and one of them containing my Huss and Dalton OM was severely punctured in shipping by what may have been a forklift arm.

The outer skin was penetrated and the second layer crushed but the guitar was fine. Isn't this what a case is supposed to do....take the impact and protect the guitar at all costs? I have nightmares about what would have happened to a $6k guitar if I had shipped it in the tweed Geib case it came with.

To me, no other case can compete at this price: AAA+++ Rolls Royce protection at a clapped out Hyundai cost.

After that experience I value Hiscox cases so highly that I just got back from buying a new Pro 2 GAD for my D28 making sure I got the updated grey interior. This is to replace the 3 ply Geib style case that it came with (another story...see thread on Martin cases)

BTW insurance covered the case damage

I consider myself to be a great player;.... pity my ears and fingers disagree!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2017, 05:01 AM

I've had Hiscox cases for years to protect my relatively cheap guitars as my experience with wooden cases hasn't been great, frankly. The flat topped (as opposed to arched) Martin cases are particularly poor, as are those supplied with Gretsch guitars which, as evidenced by the one that slipped out of the back of our van and split open along the lower bout, appear to be made of cardboard.

Last edited by AndrewG; 05-21-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:48 AM

Default It's good enough for George...

My $8000 Lowden Koa came with a Hiscox case. What more is there to say
Old 05-22-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godot2520 View Post
My $8000 Lowden Koa came with a Hiscox case. What more is there to say
High end Lowdens come with the Hiscox artist case, this is a much stronger case than the standard which comes with cheaper Lowdens. It's just worth pointing out that there is a difference.
All things considered, I think the proII is the best value for money.
Old 05-01-2021, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Not to resurrect a zombie thread, but wanted to offer thanks to some excellent advice on cases, and the required amount on entertaining sniping! This was helpful in deciding to go with a Hiscox Pro 2 for a new Dred that came with the standard Martin (Tkl) molded case, 640-style. It seems plenty sturdy for storage and car travel (not airline) and is pretty light. My reason for replacing it, is I will be casing this guitar whenever not playing, so it will be in and out frequently, with lots of opportunity for latch-bite. Not only does this case have teeth that extend below the rim, but the lid really doesnt want to stay open. To safely case or uncase is really a three-handed exercise!

Seems like the consensus here is that the Hiscox pro-2 is the best you can do without jumping into the $1000 arena. My lingering question was is the Hiscox artist worth going half way in price to a calton, and I thank Mr Tauber for his insightful advice on that! My conclusion based on research and many helpful comments here, is that the pro 2 is good for anything short of flying, and if I were planning to fly with any regularity, would pony up for a calton.

A belated THANK YOU to all who made a very helpful thread!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-01-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Not to resurrect a zombie thread, but wanted to offer thanks to some excellent advice on cases, and the required amount on entertaining sniping! This was helpful in deciding to go with a Hiscox Pro 2 for a new Dred that came with the standard Martin (Tkl) molded case, 640-style. It seems plenty sturdy for storage and car travel (not airline) and is pretty light. My reason for replacing it, is I will be casing this guitar whenever not playing, so it will be in and out frequently, with lots of opportunity for latch-bite. Not only does this case have teeth that extend below the rim, but the lid really doesnt want to stay open. To safely case or uncase is really a three-handed exercise!

Seems like the consensus here is that the Hiscox pro-2 is the best you can do without jumping into the $1000 arena. My lingering question was is the Hiscox artist worth going half way in price to a calton, and I thank Mr Tauber for his insightful advice on that! My conclusion based on research and many helpful comments here, is that the pro 2 is good for anything short of flying, and if I were planning to fly with any regularity, would pony up for a calton.

A belated THANK YOU to all who made a very helpful thread!
As the starter of this thread, and having my Furch Hiscox a few years now, it is an upstanding case. You won't be disappointed with the protection or the humidity it keeps so well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
case, furch, furch stonebridge guitar, hiscox, stonebridge