The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2016, 05:45 PM

I have two Martin dreads each with a Geib case, BUT they've got a Hiscox I use when I want to take one of the guitars anywhere.
Stronger, lighter, more compact and keeps yer great looking Geibs safe and pristine at home.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Had two hiscox cases. They are the best in my opinion. But the OP sounded like he was more interested in a "vintage" type case and not "modern" so I didn't recommend it.
After some thinking I realized it'd be silly to care more about looks than protection, in regards to a case for my $3,500 guitar. I'll stick with the hypothermic one until I can afford a hiscox, most likely. After all, I'll want this guitar for the rest of my life.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:50 PM

I've got a 2012 HD-35 and the case is great and it's got the Martin logo embedded on the headstock area of the case.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLenison View Post
I've got a 2012 HD-35 and the case is great and it's got the Martin logo embedded on the headstock area of the case.
Is it the black poly material one?
Old 04-20-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamagish View Post
Hola!

So I'm about to go through with my purchase of an HD-35, but from doing some brief research I'm not too happy with the looks/quality of the case that it comes with. Looks extremely cheap and plastic-like.

I think it's basically this one: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/6...dshell-Case.gc

My question is, what's a really nice Martin case that'll protect my guitar well, but still look somewhat decent? I love old school cases.. this one looks too modern.
Also, is the resale value pretty decent on a Martin case that I'll basically sell right out of the box? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks guys.
That's the standard roto-molded case Martin uses for the standard series and has since the 70's.

It kind of sucks, especially compared to a traditional Geib style case. It's an odd shape, doesn't stack well either vertically or horizontally, and the aluminum rim can scratch the daylights out of your guitar if you are not careful.

Resale on them is really low because people really hate them.

The good part about the case is that it does hold in humidity very well compared to a traditional wooden case, and I find that I have to refill the humidifier for my D-35 about half as often as the ones in more normal cases.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 04-20-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Hi llamagish,

I'll put in another word for Hiscox Pro II. They're currently around $320 and offer an amazing level of protection. I know you've already said it's "crazy" (post 6) and you're not necessarily ready to spend the $$$ for a high-end case; and also since it's thermoplastic you may not like the looks much, but you gotta give it some serious thought. An HD-35 is quite an investment, and lemme tell ya I sleep a lot better at night with my Gibson in its Hiscox lol . . .

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jbDM2MOxs

My Hiscox Review
Another vote for the Hiscox. Awesome cases at reasonable prices.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
After some thinking I realized it'd be silly to care more about looks than protection, in regards to a case for my $3,500 guitar. I'll stick with the hypothermic one until I can afford a hiscox, most likely. After all, I'll want this guitar for the rest of my life.
Sounds like a sensible plan. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2016, 08:11 PM
Guest4562

For my needs the case that came with my 2011 HD-35 is adequate, but I was surprised that a guitar on that level came with such a low budget case. I bought an HD-28 in 1988 that came with a rather substantial case, and my 714 came with a case that could withstand a mortar attack. I suppose Martin was trying to keep to a certain price point and that is how they elected to do it. I can get a better case if the need arises.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:18 PM

A guy who used to play at some local jam sessions with me had a house fire. The only guitar that survived was a Martin D28 in a thermoplastic Martin case. The ones in plywood cases were damaged beyond repair. the plastic case was melted and warped but the guitar inside was unharmed. Smelled like smoke and melted plastic for a long time and some finish checking on the back of the neck and lower bout but the guitar played just fine. Last time I saw the fellow was about 10 years after the fire and the D28 was still going strong.

Hopefully no house fires!
Old 04-20-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Another vote for the Hiscox. Awesome cases at reasonable prices.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hiscox-C...-Int-Pro-II.gc

Is this a good one? I can get a discount on it since it's through GC.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:12 PM

"Is this a good one? I can get a discount on it since it's through GC..."

Yep, that's the one.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
"Is this a good one? I can get a discount on it since it's through GC..."

Yep, that's the one.
yee haw. Can probably get it for 30% off or something.

Last edited by llamagish; 04-20-2016 at 10:18 PM. Reason: off
Old 04-21-2016, 06:34 AM

Quote:
yee haw. Can probably get it for 30% off or something.
Good. However, it's very good protection if you intend to travel or gig. It's probably overkill if you intend to use for storage at home. Cheers

Old 04-21-2016, 06:48 AM

Check out the Hiscox site to see how their cases are superior to other "plastic" cases.

OK, their presentation and video production skills may leave something to be desired, but their cases don't !

http://www.hiscoxcases.com/liteflite-construction.htm

Mainly, I enjoy visiting these threads to gloat at what I believe may be the only real quality guitar-related item we can get cheaper here than you can in the States !
Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Good. However, it's very good protection if you intend to travel or gig. It's probably overkill if you intend to use for storage at home. Cheers

What he^^^said. The case that comes with a Martin will protect the guitar. For heavy traveling I might consider a more expensive case, but I would rather put my money other places like recording gear or any number of more useful items.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
case, dreadnought, hd35, martin, martin case