The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-03-2013, 11:09 AM

Question 1st acoustic guitar build

I am fairly new on the acoustic guitar forum, have purchased a book and set of plans by J. Kinkhead build your own guitar. However. I have not received the book. In the meantime, I am a woodworker and interested in building some jigs required, especially for bending sides. Cannot seem to find a plan with appropriate dimensions. Would appreciate info from anyone who has constructed a guitar, and built or have plans for a jig.
Thanks for your help.
Louis Petrolia
Old 10-03-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
I am fairly new on the acoustic guitar forum, have purchased a book and set of plans by J. Kinkhead build your own guitar. However. I have not received the book. In the meantime, I am a woodworker and interested in building some jigs required, especially for bending sides. Cannot seem to find a plan with appropriate dimensions. Would appreciate info from anyone who has constructed a guitar, and built or have plans for a jig.
Thanks for your help.
Louis Petrolia
You might want to post this in the "Build and Repair" thread or the "Custom Shop" areas.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Whippersnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
You might want to post this in the "Build and Repair" thread or the "Custom Shop" areas.
+1 Or just have one of the really nice moderators move it for you, or I could do it.

Welcome to the forum, Louis. Hopefully you'll get some really helpful responses from the folks here in the "Build and Repair" section. This is where all the folks with the wisdom you seek hang out.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com
Old 10-03-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petro View Post
Thanks for your help.
Louis Petrolia
If you free bend then no plans are necessary. Find a guitar with the shape you want, trace it, then laminate some MDF and cut a left side and right side, then sand (spindle sander is best) to perfection.

The Spanish method is such that the only "jig" used to bend sides is a line drawn on the inside of the top of the guitar, which is clamped to a building board (solera) and the bent sides are then glued to the top with small triangular blocks. I free bend to the shape of my "jig", which is actually just a holder for the sides during construction.

What type of side bending method do you intend to use? What dimensions are you looking for that are "appropriate" compared to the inappropriate plans you have found??

If you decide to use a bending machine/jig, there are many others here who can give you advice. I believe both LMII and Stew-Mac have bending machines for sale, and perhaps one of them (I'd guess LMII) could modify one to your desired shape. Expensive, though, so you'd have to consider whether it is worth it for your needs compared to building your own jig/holder which will cost only a few 10's of dollars worth of MDF and a few hours of your time.

More information on your desired dimensions and methods will help others to respond to your specific needs.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Welcome! I'm just wrapping up my first build and relied on the plentiful pictures in Kinkead's book. As for jigs, which ones are you referring to exactly? I attempted to make the outside mold with 3/4" MDF glued together but ended up doing it over with birch plywood because MDF is really messy to work with. I ended up keeping the cutouts to use as a bending form to use with a friend's Fox side bender.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:15 PM

Default Jig build

Thank you Kyle. I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how to understand this site. Would appreciate if you could post it in repair and build. I am taking you up on this when you said that you would do it for me.

Thanks
Louis Petrolia
Old 10-03-2013, 02:57 PM

Louis: I assume you mean J. Kinkead for the plans and book. I would suggest that you wait for the plans if you are going to follow them before you built any molds or bending forms. Spend your time waiting by touring the net to glean as much info as possible. The Official Luthiers Forum is a good site for info. Have fun with the project.
Tom

Last edited by Tom West; 10-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:07 PM

As Ned mentioned, there are numerous methods of bending sides. I use the method he mentions in addition to an early version of the Charles Fox side bender. Dimensioned sketches of that side bender can be found here: http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Resources.html. If you have any questions about the bender I'll be happy to try to answer them.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Hello Petro - following the lead of others on AGF (and elsewhere), I built a pretty cheap DIY side bender. NOTE: Im a noob and have not bent wood on it yet, but here's the pics nonetheless. I may discover problems with scorching wood etc with this design, but others have been successful so I'll hope I will be too!

main ingredients that may not be obvious just from pics:
- 1/2" aluminum rod (instead of steel fyi).
- two shelves for the ceramic light sockets (attached to plywood squares), so that I can change their height (should have added dimmer switches but oh well....if I really need them, I'll do that later).
- 150-200W clear bulbs.
- Lined with aluminum tape.
- Aluminum flashing (amerimax, $4 ish from amazon). Hope its thick enough....
- the extended blocks near base are just for clamping it down.

the innards......

the cheapo flashing.....
Old 10-06-2013, 10:33 AM

Default jig to bend sides (acoustic guitar build)

Thanks Sam
Appreciate your photo plan to build jig. I may decide to build this if I think it is necessary. This is only my first attempt to build acoustic guitar. Find if I will consider to build more, I will decide then. Thanks again.

Louis (petro)
Old 10-07-2013, 07:20 PM

Louis, Left of Sam built a nice looking bending form, and they work great. Just be aware of the reflective materials he put on the inside where the lights are. The inside of that box gets hot, and you need to stay with it while the wood is bending. You don't want to leave it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair