The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2015, 10:19 PM

Default Ariel acoustic guitar?

Hello Everyone,

A friend on a sports board (she goes by the name AZVikesgal/aka "Sassy") posted the following question about an Ariel guitar. I had never heard of Ariel (outside of The Little Mermaid of course) but I figured someone over hear probably has and might be able to help her out.

"...was wondering if any of you know anything about the Ariel (made in Japan) acoustic guitar? I've been researching a bit and found that if it doesn't have a serial #, which ours doesn't it predates either 1974 or (another site says) 1963.

This guitar is in very nice condition. We got it out of a locker we bought today. This is only the 3rd guitar we've ever gotten."

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2015, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Was it a typed message or voice message? perhaps she was saying Aria, which was a medium-big Japanese guitar maker then.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-28-2015, 10:43 PM

It was typed. The italics in my post are what I cut and pasted directly from hers.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:05 AM

Are you sure it's Japanese? Fylde guitars make an Ariel guitar. http://www.fyldeguitars.com/ariel.html
Old 01-29-2015, 09:49 AM

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the link. I'll pass it on but I'm guessing that it's a different guitar.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I have an Ariel guitar I found at a yard sale. It is all plywood, very cheaply made and I bought it to paint and decorate then hang in my guitar room...haven't got that far yet! All the info I have been able to find leans toward it either being an Aria guitar, with some funny script logo mistake, or it is Aria's low priced brand. Not a lot of info out there about them for sure....
Old 04-18-2015, 11:38 PM

Smile Ariel by Takamine

Ariel guitars were made by Takamine in the 1970's. I have an Ariel Model TG006R. The "R" stands for rosewood. It was gifted to me with the neck in bad shape and a missing bridge saddle. I've sanded down the neck, gave it a natural stain and I will be finishing it in nitrocellulose in the next few weeks. I also bought a Graph Tech Tusq compensated saddle and I will be installing new tuners coming. It should play very, very well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion