The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-13-2012, 01:55 PM

Default A Breath of Fresh Air

Here is a new song I started writing about a week and a half ago. It's not finished, nor is it the best recording, but I figured it would give a good preview of my newest material. Hope you guys enjoy, and please feel free to leave a comment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVbt5k26RT0

Last edited by Adam Whitney; 10-13-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: none
Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 AM

that's terrific.a powerful piece of writing and talented playing.i predict you are going to write a lot of good music in your time.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 AM

Very nice. That's some very good flat picking work, too.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 10-14-2012, 10:21 AM

Haunting tune.....IRIS by the Goo Goo Dolls written all over it....

Matter of fact I went to YOU TUBE heard a live version and you sound so much better sound quality wise....

My only suggestion is to not stop with jusT music only.....It would be IMO a huge mistake......THIS TUNE BEGS FOR A HAUNTING, MEMORABLE MELODY....

If the words and Melody don't match up to the sound....Write, Write & Re-Write......This is where the "work" really begins, not settling on average Lyrics & Melody......I just think this song needs to get Married and be bigger than it is now.....that's how good it is...

It's a good song now....but can be great....

Just a thought

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 10-14-2012, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing - sounds good. Do be careful with the open tunings tendency of staying in one chord practically the whole time - in this case D. Write some music in standard tuning or at least modal tunings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-14-2012, 11:49 AM

To flatbaroque,

Thank you very much for the nice feedback! I wanted to post something that displays some of my different styles. I have more songs with different feels, but this one was the one I thought I should post. I hope to continue writing in this direction for a while; it’s quite a nice change up from my other songs Circles and Eternity .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To Bob1311,

Thanks, I’ve been working on trying to get my strumming more precise. This song has a lot of new patterns I haven’t used before, so it’s been a challenge to keep my wrist moving fluently throughout the song.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To SteveA,

Well, I have to say I disagree about adding vocals. I love my music the way it is, except I do agree that the song needs more voicing. When I get finished with the blueprint, I plan to go back and add a lead over it, something to add a stronger melody to it. I also enjoy writing poetry, but that is a separate field for me. Regardless, I’m glad you enjoyed what I have so far, and I thank you for the input!
To rick-slo,

I do have a song or two written in drop D, and I’m working on learning scales and modes in standard. I have many tunings that I have stumbled upon, around 8 or 9, so I have a lot of variation to play with. I’m still working on learning musical theory so I will be able to actually know what I am playing. Until then it’s just a matter of how hard I’m willing to push myself. I appreciate the feedback!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 PM

Hi Adam
As much as I liked this I felt you were playing safe somehow with this piece - I was waiting for something - I'm not sure what!
You're obviously a naturally gifted guitarist and I can see you make a real connection with the music while you're playing - I am very much looking forward to hearing more -

Steve

Website
|
Downloads | Youtube | Soundcloud
Guitars : Yairi CY118 │ Maton M225 │ Taylor GC11
Recording│Sony SX712Sound Forge | Sony Vegas
Old 10-14-2012, 05:39 PM

To Steve,

Thank you for the comment! I feel the piece is missing something too, but I don't have the blueprint finished yet. It's great as is, but I feel it needs a little something extra.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:37 AM

Very nice piece, you're a talented guitarist and musician. I must agree with the others, it needs a lead melody.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitloop View Post
Very nice piece, you're a talented guitarist and musician. I must agree with the others, it needs a lead melody.
To Fruitloop,

Yes, I agree it needs a lead part to help the flow of the song move forward through the piece. Maybe soon I will be able to think of something to go along with it. Thanks for the feedback!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
acoustic, adam whitney, guitar, instrumental, original