The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-10-2013, 08:54 AM

Default Seagull s6 acoustic / electric problem

I bought this guitar used. The action was high so before anything I lowered it by filing down the saddle on the bottom. Did it right, and it was a very even flat bottom with no gaps at all. I then plugged it up and the G , high b, and high e strings didn't have quite as much volume and when anything would hit the saddle it would cause a little distortion type sound...for instance when I would strum and palm mute down there, it wasn't clean.

so last night I pulled the saddle back out and was inspecting the piezo strip and also underneath it where it lays, and everything looked fine...I did wipe out the slot underneath to make sure there wasn't any dust or whatever.

Anyways, when I put it back together....now I get nothing. I didn't do anything rough, or what not.

Anyways my question is what to try next? And second question is if the piezo pickup is actually broken or damaged, can just it be replaced? Its wired into the preamp, not plugged.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 09:25 AM

You will want to remove the pickup and inspect it visually. Plug it in, wiggle the wire to see if it is a non-visible broken wire that caused your issue.

It could be that you damaged the pickup.

It could also be that the saddle has a burr on its edge from sanding, causing it to not seat properly. You will want to check the saddle bottom for continuous plane in 2 directions (ie: across its width and across its length) as well as making sure it seats properly (ie: check thickness & burrs).

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
You will want to remove the pickup and inspect it visually. Plug it in, wiggle the wire to see if it is a non-visible broken wire that caused your issue.

It could also be that the saddle has a burr on its edge from sanding, causing it to not seat properly. You will want to check the saddle bottom for continuous plane in 2 directions (ie: across its width and across its length) as well as making sure it seats properly (ie: check thickness & burrs).
thank so much for the response.

If I take it completely out and the transducer is actually loose, would it pick up the sound of me at least handling it with my fingers?

I have taken the saddle out...the actual strip looks fine...the bottom of the saddle looks fine...I even got a marble slab with fine grit (200+) and went lightly in both directions to make sure.

not my question lies on why its not picking anything up....and I am at work and cant do anything at this moment, but wanted some ideas to check for tonight before I actually take it to someone and pay (which I always try to avoid because I am decently handy with these type things and electronics)

thanks again
Old 10-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:

another question, if the pickup is broken but not the preamp, is there a way to cut the wire and splice just a new pickup on? Without having to install a whole new system?

and if so, where can you get just a piezo strip?

thanks
Old 10-10-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joho5 View Post
another question, if the pickup is broken but not the preamp, is there a way to cut the wire and splice just a new pickup on? Without having to install a whole new system?

and if so, where can you get just a piezo strip?

thanks
Removing the pickup and wiggling the wire (gently) is just to ascertain that there is no wiring issue. Piezo's usually don't wear out, but it is the wiring and solder joint that can cause issues.

If there is no sound at all, it could be because of any number of issues along the wiring circuit - jack, pre-amp, battery wiring & battery, volume/tone knobs. Since you had the issue after doing saddle work, it seems logical to check there first.

If it is a new guitar, it should be covered under warranty. If used, then you can re-solder your choice of after market pickups. I recommend Fishman, but there are any number and others will suggest their own favorites.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Removing the pickup and wiggling the wire (gently) is just to ascertain that there is no wiring issue. Piezo's usually don't wear out, but it is the wiring and solder joint that can cause issues.

If there is no sound at all, it could be because of any number of issues along the wiring circuit - jack, pre-amp, battery wiring & battery, volume/tone knobs. Since you had the issue after doing saddle work, it seems logical to check there first.

If it is a new guitar, it should be covered under warranty. If used, then you can re-solder your choice of after market pickups. I recommend Fishman, but there are any number and others will suggest their own favorites.
thank you sir...its a used guitar. I am looking at some of the fishman systems sold that has the mic blend as a replacement...just have to make sure there is enough clearance for the preamp where the hole is cut.

I really appreciate your feedback...I wiggled the wire some and still nothing.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:34 AM

I can't get the string volume even no matter what I do. The low e and low a strings are much hotter. I've checked everything. Everything past those are faint, still can hear but not balanced. I can adjust my eq pedal to make it blend decent, but to me it's very annoying.

I think it's the piezo strip. Where is the best place online to buy the parts for stuff like that? I found the fishman systems on eBay but they come from china.

Any direction for these parts would be helpful. I'd like to just cut the old piezo strip off and try a new one by splicing it into the old cable.

Anyone please chime in with any help on where to get parts and stuff.

Matt
Old 10-13-2013, 05:14 PM

Ok I think I have found the problem. My saddle slot isn't level all the way across. It's higher on the ends...so that's prob why the lower and middle strings aren't getting volume...there isn't as right as a fit.

How can I fix this? Without taking it to someone. I will do that if I absolutely have to but looking for a home type fix so I can play it on Sundays.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joho5 View Post
Ok I think I have found the problem. My saddle slot isn't level all the way across. It's higher on the ends...so that's prob why the lower and middle strings aren't getting volume...there isn't as right as a fit.

How can I fix this? Without taking it to someone. I will do that if I absolutely have to but looking for a home type fix so I can play it on Sundays.

Thanks
It would be rare to have the saddle slot deeper in the middle from the factory. Not impossible, however. And it is also possible that this (warped saddle slot) could occur if the instrument is old and the bridge started to warp/collapse.

How are you checking the saddle for level on the bottom? Against a true straight-edge looking for light?? It is possible with bone and especially with plastic (ie: tusq etc) to sand a concave shape lengthwise on the bottom of a saddle just by one's technique (ie: holding and pushing the saddle onto a sanding block with only the thumb and index finger can cause the saddle to flex so that the middle portion is abraded more than the ends).

Because I am not there to see your guitar, I can't make an exclusive determination, but only offer areas for consideration.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-14-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
It would be rare to have the saddle slot deeper in the middle from the factory. Not impossible, however. And it is also possible that this (warped saddle slot) could occur if the instrument is old and the bridge started to warp/collapse.

How are you checking the saddle for level on the bottom? Against a true straight-edge looking for light?? It is possible with bone and especially with plastic (ie: tusq etc) to sand a concave shape lengthwise on the bottom of a saddle just by one's technique (ie: holding and pushing the saddle onto a sanding block with only the thumb and index finger can cause the saddle to flex so that the middle portion is abraded more than the ends).

Because I am not there to see your guitar, I can't make an exclusive determination, but only offer areas for consideration.
When I run a measuring strip sliding it across the bottom of the saddle slot it is very evident that its higher on the ends a bit, and one end is much worse than the other. Im talking about a millimeter or a millimeter and a half of play. There is no way the saddle can firmly push against the transducer with this kind of play right?

Im sending it to a guy who does all repairs, setups, etc...in the area. Im not sure if he is a cerfitied luthier, but he has a website and a lot of good reviews as well as many different types of repairs capable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair