The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I really dislike the look of a truss rod cover on the headstock. I don't know why, I just do.

But on balance, I'd rather have the ability to adjust the neck and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I really dislike the look of a truss rod cover on the headstock. I don't know why, I just do.
IMHO, one of the best ideas to come out of Asia is to put the truss rod adjustment inside the soundhole. I cannot think of a single good reason to put it on the peghead.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
IMHO, one of the best ideas to come out of Asia is to put the truss rod adjustment inside the soundhole. I cannot think of a single good reason to put it on the peghead.
Two come to mind. Not having to loosen any strings and ease of access (getting the wrench in/on the bolt/nut).

I gotta love Yairi's extension, which puts the allen head right there by the sound hole. Martin's hole in the brace makes it pretty easy to get the allen wrench aligned and inserted. Larrivee's wrench is an abomination, and makes you really appreciate how easy a Taylor is to adjust.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Two come to mind. Not having to loosen any strings and ease of access (getting the wrench in/on the bolt/nut).

I gotta love Yairi's extension, which puts the allen head right there by the sound hole. Martin's hole in the brace makes it pretty easy to get the allen wrench aligned and inserted. Larrivee's wrench is an abomination, and makes you really appreciate how easy a Taylor is to adjust.

This is what I was taught to do and have done since my first instrument more than 30 years ago. Strings never need to be loosened to gain access, eliminates the need for a volute and truss rod cover, an aesthetic that I don't care for either.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
This is what I was taught to do and have done since my first instrument more than 30 years ago. Strings never need to be loosened to gain access, eliminates the need for a volute and truss rod cover, an aesthetic that I don't care for either.

fwiw, it helps to put a piece of shrink wrap tubing over the long end of the wrench to keep it from denting the winding's on the strings. many overlook this.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
fwiw, it helps to put a piece of shrink wrap tubing over the long end of the wrench to keep it from denting the winding's on the strings. many overlook this.
That's a good idea.

I use my fingers to displace the string, as necessary, so that the wrench never contacts the strings, except in this photo, since I was the photographer. Sometimes it is difficult to be in two places at the same time.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post

Sometimes it is difficult to be in two places at the same time.
what? no apprentice?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

I have made about eight guitars w/o truss rods. Actually, the first few have carbon fiber reinforcement AND a truss rod, though the rod could be pulled if the owner wants commitment. I have used a number of different structural solutions with the Carbon, and none seems completely rigid, which means that a string tension change will alter relief a bit. The neck will tend to be stable, however, and less picky players will find the guitar reliable.

On a contemporary weight guitar the rod does not make or break the feel for me, but on a super light build it can feel quite magical to have no steel in the neck.

I really like the way my headstock designs look with the truss rod cover. It breaks up the large barren area of the headstock, and if well designed and integrated can be a plus rather than seeming like an afterthought.

It is much less labor to install a truss rod than to install a working carbon fiber system, and the truss rod itself costs less!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair