The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 AM

Default NK Forster guitars - Model D-SS on the bench

Been away in Asia for the last few weeks - Thailand and Singapore, but I'm in England setting up some of last years crop. Including this rather handsome Indian/torrefied sitka Model D-SS.

The Model D bit speaks for itself - but the "SS" refers to my "Standard soundboard" which is based on the old Stefan Sobell soundboard design - the arching is very similar, but the bracing itself is considerably lighter.

The problem with my finish is, it's sooooo shiny, and the rosewood is so dark, it's like a big shiny dark mirror...

I've gone for a 25.4" scale this time. No particular reason other than I've made a lot of 24.9" scale guitars of late and fancied a change. The longer scale is a bit more what you'd expect for a Model D anyway.

The strings went on today, and whilst it's early days, this guitar sounds immense. This torrefied sitka is very consistent. Consistently great. I'm asking Ian Stephenson to make a video with it in a few weeks time once she's settled and been set up.

Nigel
www.nkforsterguitars.com
Old 02-11-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N K Forster View Post
I'm asking Ian Stephenson to make a video with it in a few weeks time once she's settled and been set up.
Can't wait to hear that.
The top looks incredibly rich and warm. Fabulous. For a nanosecond or two I thought you'd aged it (i.e. NOS relic).
Does the torrification change the colour - I guess it must if it's baked or whatever it is they do to it?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 02-11-2018, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Looks amazing. Can’t wait to hear it.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:31 AM

Same here... I ve visited your site quite a few times Nigel and watched your videos on YouTube, really like what I see and here. This D should be thunderous!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Does the torrification change the colour - I guess it must if it's baked or whatever it is they do to it?

Cheers,
Steve
Yes, it gets darker.It gets darker in colour, lighter in mass and weaker in strength. I did a video about torrefied sitka spruce a while ago:

Nigel
www.nkforsterguitars.com

Last edited by N K Forster; 02-11-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:41 PM

Looks good Nigel

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 AM

Thanks for sharing Nigel. This is really helpful. And I agree that it's a great sounding guitar.

I'm wondering if you can speculate about the way this guitar will age. So many acoustic instruments continue to develop in character and even volume as they age - and that's a contributing factor to the player's growing love for the instrument as the months and years pass.

Do you think this will happen to the same degree with a torrefied top, or do you think the baking process has already brought out a big part of the maturity that might otherwise take 10+ years to develop in a non-torrified top?
Old 02-12-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1 View Post
Thanks for sharing Nigel. This is really helpful. And I agree that it's a great sounding guitar.

I'm wondering if you can speculate about the way this guitar will age. So many acoustic instruments continue to develop in character and even volume as they age - and that's a contributing factor to the player's growing love for the instrument as the months and years pass.

Do you think this will happen to the same degree with a torrefied top, or do you think the baking process has already brought out a big part of the maturity that might otherwise take 10+ years to develop in a non-torrified top?
You've answered your own question in a way Phil - all we could do is speculate what it would sound like in a few years time.

The torrefied top instruments I have made sounded great right away. For many customers, this is a real plus. Not everyone feels they want to wait 5 years. Or that they have 5 years to wait!

Fair enough. This makes torrefied tops a viable alternative to cedar for those who want a great sound now rather than wait.

Nigel

www.nkforsterguitars.com
Old 02-12-2018, 11:18 AM

Hey Nigel! Real pity we couldn't meet up when you were here in Singapore.

Great looking guitar

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 02-15-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Hey Nigel! Real pity we couldn't meet up when you were here in Singapore.

Great looking guitar
Next time perhaps!

Nigel
www.nkforsterguitars.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop