The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-29-2016, 01:03 PM

Default New Here With NGD - Yamaha FG800

Hello Everybody,

I'm 55 and started teaching myself how to play 8 months ago. The journey so far has been entirely a self-taught expedition. I've watched a lot of YouTube videos, joined one online training site and also own a DVD plus a few books. I've gleaned a lot from all of these and they've been fun and helpful. In addition I've been reading through the posts here on this forum and have picked up some wonderful advise. This is a great place. I'm obviously a beginner with a lot to learn but I find playing the guitar to be fun, relaxing and a great stress reliever. I've learned a couple of songs and am currently working on a few others, but I'm still very much a work in progress at this point.

I started out with a Yamaha F310 that I purchased used from Craig's List. It was beat up but serviceable. Then my gracious sister-in-law gave me her Jameson Thin Line acoustic-electric which she never used. It's not the greatest guitar in the world, but it's fun to goof around on and has its place. Then, a week ago I took delivery of a brand new Yamaha FG800 I purchased online from Kraft Music. It's the Brown Sunburst model . I really love the sound of this guitar. It rings out with wonderful sustain and projection. I like the matte finish of the neck which makes it easier to play than the Jameson which has a gloss neck. I find it's easier to do my chords than my previous guitars. When I play the Jameson I get a certain amount of buzzing, but with the 800 only a little here and there probably due to my technique or lack thereof. The factory strings sound good to me. They're Yamaha FG12 lights. The Bundle I purchased was a pretty good deal. It came with 2 extra sets of strings, a very nice hard case, a stand, a nice Yamaha tuner which I like better than my Snark and then some other accessories which I'll probably never use. I think the addition of the hard case really makes this a great value. Overall, it's a very nice package. Free shipping too. The Brown Sunburst color of the 800 is beautiful.

I'll write more later on as I hopefully get better.

Thanks for reading,
Don
Old 10-29-2016, 01:20 PM

You have the guitar I'm interested in and in the finish I want. If possible could you please put up a photo of it? I have seen pics online but the lighting varies. Sometimes the background "black" looks faded, maybe brown. Other pics show it to be a darker hue, almost like a vintage sunburst.

Kraft, I understand, has an exclusive on that finish but I have never ordered from Kraft. I also like the vintage tint a good deal and I can get those at my local Guitar Center.

I know it's somewhat silly to buy a guitar just for the finish but I have four guitars all with essentially the same finish and I would like something a little different.

Oh, congrats on your guitar.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Don on your Yammy....sounds like your going in the right direction and welcome to the AGF your going to like it here, lots of great people willing to share.....
Old 10-29-2016, 01:33 PM

Default I just bought...

the FG-820 in natural finish and am really liking it. I did sand the saddle bottom down to lower the action and adjusted the neck tension a small bit. I put Elixir Custom Light Polyweb strings on it and am really liking the sound. I have a 30 year old Yamaha FG365 S II guitar that I bought used in 1991 (sounds great still) and this one beats it sound wise overall. Enjoy your new guitar...
Old 10-29-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
You have the guitar I'm interested in and in the finish I want. If possible could you please put up a photo of it? I have seen pics online but the lighting varies. Sometimes the background "black" looks faded, maybe brown. Other pics show it to be a darker hue, almost like a vintage sunburst.

Kraft, I understand, has an exclusive on that finish but I have never ordered from Kraft. I also like the vintage tint a good deal and I can get those at my local Guitar Center.

I know it's somewhat silly to buy a guitar just for the finish but I have four guitars all with essentially the same finish and I would like something a little different.

Oh, congrats on your guitar.
Apparently, images can only be posted from somewhere else on the web and not uploaded from a computer. I don't have a website, so, sorry I can't put up a pic right now. Kraft does have a video on their website which showcases this model and it's exactly how it looks.

This was my first purchase from Kraft. I'm in San Diego and the guitar/package was here in 5 days. Nicely packed too. The guitar was in the case.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKitt View Post
Apparently, images can only be posted from somewhere else on the web and not uploaded from a computer. I don't have a website, so, sorry I can't put up a pic right now. Kraft does have a video on their website which showcases this model and it's exactly how it looks.

This was my first purchase from Kraft. I'm in San Diego and the guitar/package was here in 5 days. Nicely packed too. The guitar was in the case.
Yeah you're right. I've never posted a pic here. On other forums it's a lot easier. The Kraft pic looks great but I've seen other pictures which looked a little different. It's like earlier this year I wanted a light blue electric guitar. I ordered one that said its finish was "powder blue." I waited. Opened the box ... and out comes a light green guitar. Not turquoise or a bluish-green. But green. I was blue ... but the guitar wasn't.

Thanks for your help.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Excellent, enjoy it.

Here's the link to your guitar Kraft Yamaha FG800

Playing guitar has got to be one of the most rewarding hobbies. If you have questions or need help picking out online lessons, strings, etc, don't hesitate to ask here.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Welcome! Glad you've joined the journey and found the guitar you like.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:24 PM

Welcome and congrats!
Old 10-29-2016, 04:40 PM

Got my FS800 package from them and the transaction was smooth. Started out with the book they included, then bought next one in the series "Alfred Basic Guitar Method".

After looking through a few other beginner books, the Alfred Method book and CD seemed by far the best for anyone who wants to learn to read music and learn on their own.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:41 PM

Thank you all for the feedback and warm welcome!
Old 10-29-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF_AR View Post
Got my FS800 package from them and the transaction was smooth. Started out with the book they included, then bought next one in the series "Alfred Basic Guitar Method".

After looking through a few other beginner books, the Alfred Method book and CD seemed by far the best for anyone who wants to learn to read music and learn on their own.
Yes, my transaction was smooth as well. I'm very happy with what I got.

I've got the David Hamburger "Acoustic Guitar Method" DVD and book. They're decent. He goes over a lot of good fundamental info and techniques coming from an American folk and roots background.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your FG800. How are you coming along with it, some six months later? I just bought its smaller sibling, the FS800 and I am blown away by it. Sounds much like an old vintage FG-150 I bought and sold some years back. The FS is getting considerable playing time lately, and I am happy to be back with a 1 11/16 nut width.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the all consuming obsession. It'll be the most fun, rewarding and infuriating thing you've ever done in your life and you'll love every minute of it.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-14-2017, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Welcome from an East Coast Kitt...!
2015 Taylor 914ce First Edition
2014 Taylor 812ce 12 fret First Edition
2014 Taylor 324ce FLTD Koa
2009 Taylor 954ce 12 string
1966 Gretsch Country Gentleman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fg800, ngd, yamaha