The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 06:32 PM

Default K Yairi NY0021 vs Martins

I've been gassing after a Martin 00-21 style guitar as I can't afford a Martin, but love the sound and the feel of some I've tried. My research has me interested in K Yairi NY0021 model but apart from a couple of youtube clips there isn't much info.

Have any of you played one? What are your thoughts if you have?
I've read about Recording Kings but those are long scale and I prefer short scale.

I have loads of electrics but apart from my Yamaha FG180 I don't play much acoustic, but would love to start playing more. I did have a Crafter TA050 back in the day but it didn't sound like much.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM

I've owned a Yairi and for the money you can't go wrong. A finely crafted instrument.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Guest316

Kazuo Yairi instruments are legendary, and although I've not played the model you referred to their quality and craftsmanship is very, very good.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:01 AM

I had a K. Yairi NY-16b for a while. It was very well built, extremely light and incredibly hard to find in North America. I looked for two years before I found it on ebay. Unless things have changed they are sold in Asia and Europe but not in North America. I kept it for a while but sold it and kept a Larrivee OO that I still have.

The Larrivee has a longer scale and had a fuller sound than the Yairi. I've ended up with a couple of OO Larrivees (Shameless plug I have a Larrive OO with a Flame Maple back & sides and a Sitka top for sale in the classifieds).

Unfortunately I have never played a OO Martin so I can't give you a comparison. If you really want a Martin what about OO-15? If you like the slotted head stock look for a Larrivee OO-50/60 or a Tanglewood TW-73wn (not as nice as the Larrivee but less expensive).

Cheers
Old 01-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdavies View Post
I had a K. Yairi NY-16b for a while. It was very well built, extremely light and incredibly hard to find in North America. I looked for two years before I found it on ebay. Unless things have changed they are sold in Asia and Europe but not in North America. . .
I'm not clear from your post whether you're referring to just that one model or all K Yairis - However, Yairi is imported to the USA and sold by Saint Louis Music under the name Alvarez. It is Alvarez' top line.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:13 AM

I've owned a few Alvarez Yairis but never a K. Yairi but I think they are pretty similar. I'm a fan of Yairi myself but in my honest opinion it is a lot of money to spend on a laminate back/sides guitar unless you need it to gig out a lot and want something sturdy. The laminate Yairi's are really well-made guitars but to my ear they don't sound as good as solid wood guitars. I will say that their laminate back/sides guitars sound better than most and I know they do it for strength rather than to save money (I've read that their lamination process costs more to do than using all solid woods). As a side note, Yairi has been making more all solid models in recent years. I played a DY-95 recently that sounded very good.

Last edited by stuco; 01-03-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:14 PM

I purchased a Kazuo/Yairi DY-71, spruce over lam Koa. Built in Japan in 1994 there is not a thing wrong with it. 1 11/16 neck, rosewood fretboard, bone saddle. Fantastic sound and plays great. I keep looking for other used ones to come up for sale. Try one.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:53 PM

I've owned a couple of Yairi guitars. Very nice instruments but I could have easily bought a used Martin for the same money.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:35 PM

If you want a Martin sound, buy a Martin....I've not heard a Yairi that sounds like a Martin...Yairis are well-made guitars....Just not Martins....there are plenty of boutique luthiers who are perhaps outdoing a Martin, but for more money...
Matching the guitar to the player is the trick & worth the time & effort.
Bone
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 01-04-2014, 11:35 AM

thanks for the answers. The Yairi isn't cheap but it's about a 5th of the price of a Martin. I have only played a D35 and wasn't too impressed against my Yamaha, but I think the price has something to do with it.

As much as I would like to have a Martin I couldn't pay that much just for an acoustic, seeing as I only play acoustic occasionally, if I do start playing acoustic more often then it would make sense.

I've just spent Martin money on a vintage Mosrite 1966 since I'm a Ventures freak, but I'll probably be playing the Mosrite daily for years to come.

I'll probably go Yairi first and if I start loving acoustic again might upgrade to a Martin. I'm also not interested in having any Martin guitar, just the OO sized ones, so those are pretty rare and expensive
Old 01-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-clay View Post
I've owned a couple of Yairi guitars. Very nice instruments but I could have easily bought a used Martin for the same money.
If you paid $1500.00 for a used Martin, or $1500.00 for used kazuo Yairi. Which do you think would be a better Instrument, Year for Year, and of like condition.
My answer is you would get a much nicer Yairi, for the same price you would a Martin.

Dan
Old 01-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPanther View Post
If you paid $1500.00 for a used Martin, or $1500.00 for used kazuo Yairi. Which do you think would be a better Instrument, Year for Year, and of like condition.
My answer is you would get a much nicer Yairi, for the same price you would a Martin.

Dan
↑↑↑↑ A big, juicy plus one on this. K Yairis are hand-made monsters. ↑↑↑↑ Ask me: I own one!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:02 PM

Yairis are well built and practically bullit proof. Great for gigging and plugging in. Unplugged, they still sound great. For the money, used, they are tough to beat.
If you are in love with the Martin tone or brand or legend, you probably won't be satisfied w/ a Yairi.
Every guitar is different and Yairis are handmade instruments, so each one is going to have it's own personality...as will Martins.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:32 PM

Just ordered a K.Yairi NY0021B!! Will post a review once it comes in. It's a lightly used 2nd hand with case. Stayed 1€ short if my 1000€ budget (incl hardshell case)... Chose it based on playing a host of similar guitars, and the great reputation and story of Yairi. Now hoping it sounds as good as I expect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion