The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-12-2015, 07:38 PM

Default LAST CALL for the Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration

Hi Everyone - here's the FINAL UPDATE for the 2016 Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration (http://sbaic.com/), which will be taking place from September 29 to October 2, 2016:

Luthiers & Instruments: We are ready to go with luthiers already on the way from around the world bringing around 650 fine handmade instruments for demonstration and sale.

Master Classes: Many of the Master Classes in multiple genres at all skill levels are almost sold out, so if you want to learn cool licks and tricks, BUY NOW. [COLOR="Red"]Recent offerings include Guitar Superstar Vicki Genfan and Antoine Dufour teaching a two part contemporary percussive series and Peghead Nation cofounder Teja Gerken teaching one of the 3 part the Alternate Tunings classes.

There will be all sorts of dinner and evening concerts every night (Thu-Mon); you can read the local coverage at http://www.independent.com/news/2016...ebration-brin/

TOM BALL & KENNY SULTAN will provide goodtime blues on Friday night for the Weekend Priority Pass private party with premium winetasting & deserts.

MURIEL ANDERSON will open for RICHARD SMITH and THE HOT CLUB OF NASHVILLE on Saturday night!

ANTOINE DUFOUR, CLAUDE LAFLAMME, CRAIG D'ANDREA AND TREVOR GORDON HALL will close out the weekend on Sunday night with a bang.

See http://sbaic.com/concerts/ for more information.

LAST CALL: Web tickets for WEEKEND STANDARD AND PRIORITY PASSES, Master Classes and concerts close this Sunday September 25
; anything left over will be sold at the door. If you want to secure your classes & concert tickets, please buy NOW while they are available. ALL tickets are limited in number so as to make this the most personal & finest show possible.

The Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration is for collectors, musicians, music lovers and everyone who enjoys a fine time. It is a unique opportunity to meet many contemporary masters of lutherie, and to play and purchase some of the finest handmade instruments directly from the builder. Tickets are available from a $20 day ticket to $195 for Priority Pass admission to the weekend's entertainment (http://sbaic.com/tickets/).

Last edited by SBAIC; 09-24-2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:45 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I am furiously petitioning my wife for this one!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

It looks like it'll be a great event, but the ticket pricing / options / sign-up is about as confusing as anyone can make it -

So, if I sign up for the priority pass, I can go to special shows, but I guess I have to buy the special pass for my wife as well if she would like just to hear the music? And all the additional separate item prices for specific events - that looks liek that could add up -

Make it a little simpler, please - and think about those of us that would like to bring a spouse for some parts of it -
Old 11-13-2015, 12:52 PM

Default Ticket Clarification

I've updated the tickets page so that it falls into two parts: buying a pass or day ticket, and then buying a class ticket if you wish.

The Weekend Priority Pass is for those who want to do pretty much everything starting on Friday, ending late Sunday, including the VIP party and Saturday night concert at the local theatre, and short 5:00 concerts at the Celebration. The only thing extra you'd pay for is master classes, as at the other festivals.

If you or your spouse want to come just to hear music during the day and don't care about the Friday and Saturday evening events, go for the 3 day pass, or even just 2 days if coming to the buyer's day isn't important (not to take away from the event, but there's lot of others things to do around town). Single days will also be available if you're just driving in for the day.

There will also be Thursday and Sunday evening world-class concerts, which will be offered as inexpensively as possible and open to those without the Priority Pass & to the general public.

Last edited by SBAIC; 11-13-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Cool Sbaic

I plan to buy the Priority Pass (limited to 400), which includes access to the Friday afternoon Tony McManus Celtic concert (limited to 100). Obviously, 400 people cannot attend a concert that is limited to 100. Are the first 100 Priority Pass buyers going to get in or am I going to have to queue up before the concert?

I also plan to buy a ticket for the Tony McManus master class which is also on Friday at 1:15pm. If the concert is after the master class, I won't be able to both stand in line for the Tony McManus concert and attend Tony's master class.

I agree that the ticket part of the website needs some clarification.

Also, on your website schedule/hours, access to the Luthier's Showcase is only shown on Friday for the Priority Pass purchasers. I'm guessing you need to add something like "Luthier's Showcase open to public" for Saturday and Sunday with the hours that it will be open.

Regards.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 11-17-2015, 06:06 PM

Hi John

On each Master Class page, the schedule is posted at the top which covers music times in the concert room along with the class times.

You'll see that Tony plays at 5:00, so there's plenty of time after his master class.

Due to demand we've done a redesign of the concert room area, which now holds 200, to make sure everyone can get in.
If you want, put a note in your order and we'll make sure - it's not being ticketed, it's first come first served, but we'll do our best to make sure you get to see what you want. On Saturday (and Sunday), Priority Pass holders will be able to get in first to Ken Bonfield and (TBA, we're working on it) respectively.

I've also noted on the Priority Pass section that those concerts are at 5:00.

Below that section you'll see where all the hours are posted for everything.

Friday Buyers day is now offered only as a part of the 3 day pass (with or without the evening events) - there are now only 5 choices with a Guide at the top, and in your case the Weekend Pass covers it. That's all that's offered right now to give you all the first crack at the classes you want.

I hope you have a great time here; let me know via the contact page if you have any further questions.

Last edited by SBAIC; 02-21-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Smile Sbaic

Thanks. I did purchase the Priority Weekend Pass and the Tony McManus Master Class. I put a note in the purchase comments that I wanted to attend the Tony McManus concert. I'm very excited to finally be able to see Tony in person.

I'm definitely looking forward to checking out all the superb guitars from the fine collection of luthiers you have assembled. Great work on this show, by the way, and a fantastic city to have it in. I'm very grateful that you put this show together. Thanks for all the hard work.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 01-18-2016, 02:49 PM

Me too! After conversation #1 this looks like it might be a goer. I've always wanted to do a class in slack key. This is my shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I am furiously petitioning my wife for this one!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:11 PM

Mark's a great teacher and musician - I'm hoping to have a break and take the Slack Key Master Class with my baritone uke
Old 03-20-2016, 02:26 PM
Humanist

Got my workshop description (and invitation) video up:

100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-27-2016, 08:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Kevin,

Kudos on a great write up in this month's Acoustic Guitar Magazine bringing attention to your up coming festival.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Smile What Tim said!

Congratulations on the AG article!

I am lobbying my wife for a fab guitar centric vacation in SB. She went to UCSB, so knows how beautiful it is!

Hoping she does not need to travel for biz that week...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-13-2016, 11:55 PM

Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration is happening on 29 Sep 2016 at Earl Warren Showgrounds Santa Barbara, United States Of America. Its a premier event in Musical Instruments industry.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:02 AM

Congrats on the write-up! Here's an introduction to my workshop "Texture, Timbre and Touch"

I hope to see you there!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Congrats on the write-up! Here's an introduction to my workshop "Texture, Timbre and Touch"

I hope to see you there!
Michael- Played brilliantly, thoughtfully and intentionally.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop