The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-14-2010, 10:03 AM

Default Please help me with acoustic archtop purchase.

I'd like to buy an acoustic archtop.
I don't want to spend more than $ 500-700 top.
I don't want it used (sorry I have a psychological problem with used gear).
Oh, by the way: I will play it unplugged, but if the archtop that you suggest had a pick up that's OK.
I strum a bit, a bit of flatpicking, mainly finger pick, but I'd like to learn a bit of chords/jazz guitar.
Do you have any suggestions ? And together with your suggestions, can you give me a recommendation regarding the strings (flat wound or not ?) and the gauge ?
Thanks !
Old 08-14-2010, 10:25 AM

Godin 5th Avenue. Price range is right. Quality is excellent for the price.

Rev George
Old 08-14-2010, 10:36 AM

I see the Godin Fifth Avenue was recommended, it's pretty popular these days and priced right in you range. You might see if you can find a Loar LH-300. It has a solid to and I think the Godin is laminated. I've not played a Loar archtop, but have been very pleased with my Loar mandolin, and a month or so back I played a Loar flattop that was very impressive. That same dealer had archtops on order, so I'll probably get to play one sooner or later.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Godin 5th Ave sounds nice with flatwounds. In the op's price range. Canadian made. Good build quality. Satin finish. 24.5" scale length. Reminds me of Gibson L-50's and some better old Harmonies.

For the money I think they're a nice solution.

edit:
I liked Thomastik-Infeld "Swings" in o.o13" on mine)

Last edited by backliner; 08-14-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

An old Gretsch New Yorker model can be had for within your budget. It was their economy model of the time but it sounds wonderful 50 years later, nonetheless.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

I'm pleased with a Godin 5th Ave I recently picked up. It plays well and sounds good. Build quality is great.

I've heard that the version of this guitar with a pickup doesn't sound as good acoustically as the unelectrified version. So you might want to avoid that version if you're looking for a primarily acoustic instrument. Several comments I've seen from owners state that the electric version isn't a very good acoustic guitar, although it's great plugged in, apparently.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 PM

5th Ave is OK, but you should try to play some proper carved guitars so you have an idea of what a real Archtop sounds like. Carved guitars have always been the kings of the guitar world. They are the most difficult and most expensive guitars to make.
I understand you have a budget and I respect that. We all have budgets. The danger is that the 5th Ave won't give you all the voice that a carved guitar can offer. It's a great guitar but it's not all that an Archtop can be.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 PM

What about a Gretsch Synchromatic 100 ? Is it any good compared to the 5th Avenue ?
Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

More than your budget but Eastman is your best bet for "cheap" archtops
Old 08-14-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jazz View Post
5th Ave is OK, but you should try to play some proper carved guitars so you have an idea of what a real Archtop sounds like. Carved guitars have always been the kings of the guitar world. They are the most difficult and most expensive guitars to make.
I understand you have a budget and I respect that. We all have budgets. The danger is that the 5th Ave won't give you all the voice that a carved guitar can offer. It's a great guitar but it's not all that an Archtop can be.
I quite agree with the thoughts of Dr. Jazz. Having been seduced by the 5th Avenue's f-holes in pix, I rather impetuously sprang for one online, without trying it out. I found upon getting to know the guitar that you must appreciate it on its own terms in order to be satisfied with it. Unquestionably, it is well-built for the money (I was lucky enough to get a substantial discount, based on past purchases, for a brand new one, which was still nicer) and has visual style -- but the Godin will ultimately disappoint anyone seeking the inherent qualities of an archtop. I noticed that somebody in another Godin 5 post described its tone as "raspy" -- that's exactly right. Haven't played the Kingpin w/pickup, so I can't comment on that, but anyone hoping to achieve something along the lines of '30's unamplified chink-chink-chink swing with the 5th Avenue need look elsewhere. I think of it as sort of a hybrid -- only I can't seem to come up with the components thereof. Too, I may be the only person on earth who doesn't find the neck especially comfortable -- which may actually be a recommendation, as so many others seem to like it. All this said, I think the guitar may become a classic over requisite time but, again, on its own terms.

They're out of production now, but the Epiphone Elitist series offered beautifully made, wonderful sounding archtops. Though equipped with pickups and intended for amplification, my Broadway, carved and finely detailed, sounds terrific unplugged, with volume and tone far surpassing those of the Godin 5, thanks to a deeper, bigger body. The Elitists cost quite a bit more than the Godin but, still, considerably less than they are worth. I'd be on the lookout for a used Epi from that series.

Last edited by Stringin Swing; 08-15-2010 at 02:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Then I have a question to Godin 5th avenue owners who kindly suggested that I consider this model.
What kind of strings do you use on this guitar ? I read reviews that say that the 5th avenue sounds better with flatwounds, other that say that it sounds horrible with flatwounds.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up also try Loar L-600

I, too, have been looking for acoustic archtop and was attracted to the old Hofner's from Germany. Had one, President, and it was beautiful but the string action was too high for me. Then I found a slightly used Loar L-600 online for $600 and think it's a long-time "keeper." the sound is full and plenty loud. I put flatwounds on it and sounds even fuller and easier on my fingers. the neck has a slight "V" in it it and fits my hand nicely for bar chords and palm chords (what i call lazy bar chords). plus it is also beautiful. I played in some jams at a festival recently and so many people took notice of its beauty.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:33 AM

Used Eastman.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Used Eastman! Absolutely. Unless you can find an old New York Epi.

Try www.archtop.com in Seattle. Jo is a great guy and very knowledgable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops