The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Default Buyin an open backed 5 string banjo

I'm thinking of buying a 5 string open back banjo. I've researched some and it seems like that would be more versatile than a closed back for what I'm trying to do. Though I'd like to have a go at some bluegrass, it wouldn't be my main thing.

Anyway, can someone recommend a budget banjo, new or used, that is good quality? I don't want to go for a really nice one until I know I want to stick with it (unless it's used and I can get back about what I paid for it). I know nothing about banjos. I was thinking of working in open G tuning and then moving into some of the others.

Thanks!

Steven

saintmilkweed.com
Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 PM

Default Just a opinion

I'm not a banjo guy, but a good inexpensive open back is a Goodtime banjo made by Deering
http://www.deeringbanjos.com/
1995 Taylor 814CE
2002 Tacoma AJF22CE
2002 Seagull 20th Anniversary
2003 Martin Felix (don't ask)
2005 Martin J-12-15
Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 PM

Thanks to fellow forum member MJH (Mark), I picked up an open-back 'Goodtime' Deering banjo earlier this summer:

http://www.deeringbanjos.com/goodtime.htm

I don't know much about banjos, but I do know guitars. The Deering is a well-built little instrument. Not fancy, but solid. And fun ...which is what I was looking for.

Finally, if you can find a used one that hasn't been abused, it's a good way to test the waters.

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 PM

Anyone try those morgan monroe banjos? They're imports but come with a hard case and lifetime warranty and seem to have decent features.

saintmilkweed.com
Old 10-10-2007, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

I've been reading the Taylor Guitars book and was surprised to see how many guitar builders were all from San Diego and were all friends. Greg Deering and Bob Taylor went to the same high school. Years later, they were helping each other at their new companies!

By the way, what are the strings on a banjo tuned to anyway? I've always wanted to learn to play one as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

If you want a nice USA-made open back banjo, Bart Reiter makes a line of open backs that follows the old Vega line including White Lady, Tubaphone, etc.

http://members.aol.com/banjobart/

Elderly has a nice selection of them and better photos:

http://www.elderly.com/brand/60N_bart%20reiter.html

Open Back banjos are supposedly intended for claw-hammer or "frailing" style but I have no problem playing 3-finger rolls with mine. I like the tone and the fact it is not nearly as loud as a resonator banjo would be. Mine is their "Special" model shown on Elderly's site. I'd love to step up to a White Lady or Tubaphone model, but my playing doesn't warrant a top-line model, at least not yet. Besides being a lot fancier, the better banjos have a much better tone ring. This really makes a big differance in tone.I've seen used White Ladys selling for about what I paid for my Special.

If you do get a Good-time banjo, I would spring for the normal banjo peghead as apposed to the guitar-style head on the cheaper model.

Check out the banjo hangout to hook up with people that really have an affliction for these things.

http://www.banjohangout.org/forum/
Old 10-10-2007, 10:46 AM

Check out Gold Tone banjos. I have an open back 5 string and a plectrum.

www.goldtone.com

Elderly Instruments carries most of them.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Default Deering Taylor link

PDKS brought up the connection between Taylor and Deering, I was lucky enough to have had dealings with a young Bob Taylor when he was still connected to American Dream Guitars in Lemon Grove Ca. I had bought a very old Washburn guitar (circa1905) that needed a total rebuild, I went to the shop and spoke with him and a few others working there and it was decided I should take it to Moze guitar shop just a few blocks away as the crew at American Guitar when not building their own guitars where turning out necks for Deering banjos!
Well, Moze did the rebuild, it took a long time as he had many other projects going on, which was fine with me, I would drop in and visit. Bob would drop in and talk with Moze and at some point I was offered a American Dream guitar in trade for my old Washburn, which I stupidly turned down.
I still have the old Washburn.
1995 Taylor 814CE
2002 Tacoma AJF22CE
2002 Seagull 20th Anniversary
2003 Martin Felix (don't ask)
2005 Martin J-12-15

Last edited by jaxson50; 10-10-2007 at 12:30 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 10-10-2007, 11:16 AM

how does that Morgan Monroe Cameron look? It has the White Lady tone ring, but I don't know about banjo vs guitar tuners?

Thanks for the replies. I'm researching those models.

saintmilkweed.com
Old 10-12-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxson50 View Post
PDKS brought up the connection between Taylor and Deering, I was lucky enough to have had dealings with a young Bob Taylor when he was still connected to American Dream Guitars in Lemon Grove Ca. I had bought a very old Washburn guitar (circa1905) that needed a total rebuild, I went to the shop and spoke with him and a few others working there and it was decided I should take it to Moze guitar shop just a few blocks away as the crew at American Guitar when not building their own guitars where turning out necks for Deering banjos!
Well, Moze did the rebuild, it took a long time as he had many other projects going on, which was fine with me, I would drop in and visit. Bob would drop in and talk with Moze and at some point I was offered a American Dream guitar in trade for my old Washburn, which I stupidly turned down.
I still have the old Washburn.

A very cool story!

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 10-12-2007, 07:22 AM

I'd go with Gold Tone, they have a huge selection of models at great prices. I've been buying factory second mini and traveler Gold Tones when they come up and hope to have 10 or so by next summer (for classes). Most other introductory priced Asian banjos I've played aren't that great.....hard to say exactly why but metal quality and plateing come to mind. If you want something dosestically made you can't go wrong with a Deering Goodtime.

The most important thing is a good setup by someone who knows banjos, the proper combination of the right head tension, neck angle, and bridge is really important.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:11 AM

I DO know something about banjos--and the Deering Sierra I own (but don't play too well) is great--same components as their most expensive. But these will run somewhere under 2k. Deerings are very well made, but NOT inexpensive! They DO offer a pop-off resonator model that is the best of both worlds-again, though--a LOT pricier than a "Goodtime" which is a very nice less-expensive banjo (also open back, or resonator). They come up for sale on Ebay frequently.

I have played a really nice Morgan-Monroe archtop that was about the LOUDEST 5-string I have heard--other than Stellings (ALSO very expensive!). Morgan-Monroe is a Chinese import, but a lot of bang for the buck, well-made, and quite decent.

GoldTone is also an excellent choice-parts are made in Asia, and assembled here in Florida, I believe. They have several really nice open-backs that will not kill you...less than a Deering "Good Time". Johnson, Blueridge, also make inexpensive banjos.

You may want to check out "Folk of The Wood"-as they have a large selection in ALL price ranges, and audio clips of mostly all of them. Their prices are pretty good too. I ended up getting my Sierra from them on a trade-in. I had no problems with them, their pricing, or their return policy. I think some here may have--but my experience was 100% positive. Whether you buy from them or not, you can surf around the banjo section and see quite a few! Used is also a great option.
http://www.folkofthewood.com/page674.htm

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments