The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-22-2016, 09:51 AM

Default New Guitar Day: 2002 Stefan Sobell Model 1 Brazilian/German (Video Content)

Hello again, all-

As many of you know, I purchased a Claxton guitar a few weeks ago. One of the biggest realizations from that experience was that, for me–and with my particular history–it's far, far better to try out a guitar that "exists in the world" rather than to order something and hope for the best, particularly from a luthier who I don't already have an instrument from as a point of reference. This was something Brian Truesby (usb_chord) has been telling me for nearly a year, so I'm a little slow on the uptake, but finally figured it out.

In any case, the Claxton experience forced me to examine that in detail, especially in reference to an impending custom build from Kim Walker. Now, I should say, I don't know –anyone– save one or two other luthiers who I trust to build an exceptional guitar more than Kim Walker. However, that's not the point! I've bought and sold too many guitars, wrestled with too many expectations, and generally wasted too much time and money to play this game anymore.

So I decided to take the money I'd set aside for my first few Walker payments and instead look for something that existed now. (I'm also in the midst of a significant home remodel so buying something and being done with it without further obligation really helps my peace of mind.) That led me to ask Mike Joyce of the Luthier's Collection to send me two of the guitars he liked the best at his shop: a Franklin OM and a Sobell Model 1. I detailed those two guitars via comparison recordings in a thread that I'd refer you to here on the Custom Shop.

Well, 10 minutes into receiving both guitars, I knew the Sobell was it for me. It simply captured everything I'd never known I wanted in a guitar, as you'll sometimes here said. To my ear, it doesn't sound unique as much as it just sounds like what I want to hear, whatever the heck that means.

In short, though, I did drop some cash these last few weeks, but I feel like I've removed SO much uncertainty from my life. Sure, I'll occasionally wonder about the Walker that might have been, or something else, or someone else. Ultimately, though, I'm so happy with having two great instruments, and this one in particular is just ... breathtaking to me. I feel, as Michael Watts once said about his Kostal, that I've come home.

I'm happy to try and field questions about it compared to the lots of other things I've played, but for now, here are some pictures. My first video will come later today.

The guitar immediately became a workhorse here, never in its case, constantly sitting nearby. I love that!

This guitar was built in 2002 and finished late that year.

The arch is VERY distinct, to the feel and the eye, from almost every angle.

More to come!

-Brett

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 09-22-2016, 10:06 AM

Default Breaking of the Shells

And to get this thing moving in the right direction, here's a recording I made this morning.

While it's not quite as flat and dry as my comparison recordings, it's really close. Here's what I said about effects in the description:

As with almost all my recordings, I've tried to keep a -very- light touch in terms of affecting the recording. There is no reverb added; only very slight EQ to deal with my room and a compressor to try and avoid distortion.

In some ways, this is not the perfect match of modern, bloom-ish guitar paired with a slow ballad. Still, I just really enjoy the clarity, the purity, and the ringing sustain of the Sobell on anything I can pair it with.

I hope you enjoy.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 09-22-2016, 02:56 PM

Congrats on the new guitar, Brett.

I have to be honest, I like your playing but I don't like the recording. The video for the Claxton and this one both sound a bit "dull" -- and both distort fairly heavily.

There are guys who sound great with a much cleaner signal than mine and you should use their recordings as a reference point. Howard Emerson, Doug Young and Larry Pattis come to mind.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Congrats on the new guitar, Brett.

I have to be honest, I like your playing but I don't like the recording. The video for the Claxton and this one both sound a bit "dull" -- and both distort fairly heavily.

There are guys who sound great with a much cleaner signal than mine and you should use their recordings as a reference point. Howard Emerson, Doug Young and Larry Pattis come to mind.
I have the same reaction :-(

I need a primer on how to do this stuff... I'm very much wandering around lost and it's annoying. Plus I really don't want to fuss with this a lot. I want to get something set up and then play.

Le sigh. Fair point, and not at all taken negatively.

-Brett

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 09-22-2016, 03:32 PM

Again very beautiful playing. Congrats with a great guitar. A month ago I took delivery of a Fylde guitar, and the maker Roger Bucknall, who also lives north in England, is actually a good friend of Stefan Sobell, and they often share tonewood. For me, the Fylde was the homecoming, and I'm glad you feel the same about yours. Play in good health!
Old 09-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
I have the same reaction :-(

I need a primer on how to do this stuff... I'm very much wandering around lost and it's annoying. Plus I really don't want to fuss with this a lot. I want to get something set up and then play.

Le sigh. Fair point, and not at all taken negatively.

-Brett
I don't know much about recording myself but IMHO mic placement is key. Even if you read relevant documentation and know more or less what to do, you still need to experiment by moving the mics around and listening to the outcome through headphone monitors. You don't need to keep the headphones on for recording -- but using them as monitors to set your sound will be useful.

Same with effects -- you need to experiment and figure out what sounds good for you. I personally use reverb and delay -- but very little EQ (only to roll off the bass) and no compression.

As for recording completely dry, to each their own but I'd argue that nobody would listen to a player sitting a few inches away from the sound hole -- so you need to compensate for that somehow.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:54 PM

I don't find clips very helpful. I actually find that the subjective descriptions of the players to be more helpful. Of course the best way is to actually play the guitar.

Having said that, the greater clarity and ringing quality of the notes are clear from your recording. And nice playing too!

On your decision to give up your slot on Kim walker's list, it's understandable. Nobody hits a home run every time - not even the very best. Having said that and with all due respect to the luthiers u have tried before, Kim's guitars really are special. They have the clarity you are looking for but also with the punch and the overtoneq quality that brings interest and color to the tone. And the most amazing bass of any guitar maker's instruments...

Last edited by gitarro; 09-23-2016 at 09:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop