The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=Howard Emerson;1969130]Christian,
I think this woman is credited with starting bluegrass music or something like that........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewnfWoSQz3o

Hey Howard,

That's Maybelle Carter, for whom Chet Atkins named his famous archtop. Maybelle is the mother of the 3 Carter Sisters, the most famous of whom was June, married to Johnny Cash. Lot's of great music history in the Carter family dating back to the 1920s. The entire Carter family, not just Maybelle, had major influence on bluegrass, country, and rock and roll. Maybelle, however, is considered the matriarch.

BD

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=billder99;2451596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Christian,
I think this woman is credited with starting bluegrass music or something like that........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewnfWoSQz3o

Hey Howard,

That's Maybelle Carter, for whom Chet Atkins named his famous archtop. Maybelle is the mother of the 3 Carter Sisters, the most famous of whom was June, married to Johnny Cash. Lot's of great music history in the Carter family dating back to the 1920s. The entire Carter family, not just Maybelle, had major influence on bluegrass, country, and rock and roll. Maybelle, however, is considered the matriarch.

BD
BD,
Yes, I know.

I was being coy with Christian.

HE
Old 12-22-2010, 12:30 PM

Well, my two pen'orth,
I started with a really cheap cr*p spanish, then a Hofner President archtop, back in '63.Nice looking, laminated top back and sides and very narrow neck. Pleasant sound, fairly quiet. Moved on to electric Gretsch, Gibson and Fender in due course. Played electric for 40 years with a Gibson SJN as my only acoustic.
About 3 years ago started playing flat-top acoustic with a new acquaintance, and was moved to acquire a Collings 0002H and Patrick Eggle Koa custom, plus others. Around the same time I gained a 1940s Rex archtop by Harmony, loud, brash tone, but boy it cuts through. More recently I was lucky enough to obtain used,a hand carved archtop by Dutch Luthier Daniel Slaman. This guitar was an eye-opener. depending where you play it, it can sound sweet and mellow or cut through like the Rex, all in a 16" slimline body. The key I believe is in the hand carved top and back, ply guitars do not do this in my experience.
The flat-tops I have sound beautiful, but as Howard Emerson shows, GOOD archtops are superb too. (I love your old L5,) I missed out on a 40/50s Super 400 back in the sixties for £59, as I couldn't visualise using a not cutaway guitar back then.........duh! But the Slaman is better than several post 50s L5 I've tried.
Basically, if you can afford to, why not play both types, its fun and stimulating to try a totally different style and approach.
Finally who could not be impressed by these guys http://www.kenparkerarchtops.com/info.html
playing Nuages?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 PM

Pace Howard Emerson and Mother Maybell, archtops will be more popular when jazz and orchestral guitar is more popular.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops