The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-19-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Goldtone resonator advice

I'm thinking of buying a Paul Beard sig Goldtone. They come in mahogony (standard) or maple (deluxe). I would think the brightness of maple would be worth the extra cost, but I'm not sure about that in a resonator.

Has anyone compared the standard vs. the deluxe models?
Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 AM

I'd just call Beard guitars and ask them to describe it. I know Howard and Paul, and they are great guys to talk to. I play a Beard roundneck style E, and it is one of the most responsive resonator guitars I've ever seen anywhere. Paul specializes in squarenecks, and I don't know what you are going for, but the Beard Goldtones are no slouches for the money. I think it becomes a matter of preference as to which sound/tone you are going for with the woods, not quality. Maple typically gives a bit more cut through other instruments, but it depends on what you are doing, of course.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 AM

Thanks CCG. I would get the round neck version and use it primarily for blues slide tunes.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:09 AM

You could also ask here - these are mainly reso guys (and girls)

http://www.guitarseminars.com/cgi-bi...Forum&number=1

I think "tone woods" on resos are mostly cosmetic - remember that they are often pretty thick and laminated. Also, there is a new NRP biscuit cone just about to come onto the market - might be worth asking Paul about this (assuming you are getting a biscuit) and might be worth waiting if he recommends it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments