The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 08-27-2015, 08:27 PM

Default PULLED Guild Orpheum 12 fret Slope Dread, Adi over Mahogany, w/ Baggs Lyric

This guitar is a pleaser, for your ears and your eyes. 2013 Guild Orpheum 12 fret Dreadnought. Adirondack top, Mahogany back & sides. Comes with luthier-installed Baggs Lyric pickup, and hard shell case. The guitar is in very good condition. It has a shallow gouge about 1/4" long in the neck heel that looks heinous in the photo, but IRL it's not much of anything. There are a couple of small marks/dings if you look for them in the right light, but generally it's in very good cosmetic condition, and structurally flawless with good action. I've bought and sold on the forum here, happy to provide references if you want them. If you're in Northern California, I would also consider a trade for a comparable quality, solid mahogany b&s 000, 00DB, om, or similar size.

Pics below. Specs from Guild's website are:

12-Fret Slope-Shoulder
ORPHEUM SERIES

$4,799.99 List Price

Specifications
Body:
Body Top
Solid Adirondack Red Spruce
Body Back
Solid Mahogany
Body Sides
Solid Mahogany
Body Shape
Slope Shoulder Dreadnought
Bracing
Guild® Scalloped Red Spruce Attached with Hide Glue
Finish
Gloss Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Body Depth Upper Bout
4.5″ (114 mm)
Body Depth Lower Bout
4.75″ (120 mm)
Body Length
20.5″ (520 mm)
Body Width Lower Bout
16″ (406 mm)
Body Width Upper Bout
11.25″ (286 mm)
Overall Guitar Length
40″ (1016mm)
Guitar Weight
4.3 lbs
Body Binding
Ivory
Sound/F Holes Binding
Ivory
Neck Material
2-Piece Mahogany
Neck Shape
Vintage Soft “U”
Neck Finish
Gloss NItrocellulose Lacquer
Scale Length
24.75″ (628 mm)
Nut Width
1 3/4″ (44.45 mm) [SEE MY NOTE BELOW ON NUT WIDTH]
Nut Material
Bone
Fingerboard Material
Ebony
Fingerboard Radius
12″ (305 mm)
Tuning Machines
Gotoh® SE700-05M Vintage-Style Open-Back with Cream Buttons
Bridge
Ebony
Saddle
Bone
Bridge Pins
Bone

the nut is definitely wider than 1.75. My best estimate, using a plain old tape measure, is 1.8.

Last edited by gfa; 10-19-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:56 PM

Nice looker. While it's out of MY range, I posted your link in the Let's Talk Guild forum.

Good luck with your sale !
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 08-28-2015, 07:47 PM

Thank you John. I just replaced most of the photos with some that are better, although still not great.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:04 PM

Orpheum description from Neal, over at Let's Talk Guild: "Very powerful, full-throated guitars, with a bit of attitude and a distinctly fat tone. They can hold their own in any roomful of dreads."
Old 08-30-2015, 07:45 PM

Beautiful Guild Orpheum Dread ! I purchased one a month or so ago, and simply put, these Guilds have it. Whoever decides to give this one a home will not be disappointed. Yep, the nut width is wider than 1-3/4", did a quick tape measurement and the one I have looks to be 1-7/8", which really doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited by brijas99; 08-31-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

I used to have one of these a foolishly traded it away. I have another one incoming. These do not disappoint, fantastic guitars, especially for the price
Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 PM

Wondering what the fret bead heights on my newish lv-03. A feeler gauge looks like .039? Any info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2015, 01:56 PM

Acoustic Guitar magazine says: "The review guitar had ultra-low action. This made it incredibly easy to fret, and a joy to play with somewhat softer attack. I’ve often felt that 12-fret dreadnoughts are underrated as fingerstyle guitars, and the Guild reinforces that opinion; this guitar type is worth checking out if you play without a pick. The guitar had a quick response, even when played softly, and it had a great lower mid-range and bass tonality. But the Guild’s bottom-end whoomph didn’t overpower the trebles, and I was surprised by how clear and balanced a rendition of Stefan Grossman’s “Bermuda Triangle Exit” sounded on the guitar. This positive fingerstyle impression continued when I put the guitar into drop-D and DADGAD tunings. Playing through a few fingerstyle arrangements of Irish tunes, the overall vibe was more modern than vintage, which is perhaps where the Guild signature fits into the potpourri of the Orpheum slope-shoulder 12-fret’s design.

Played with a pick, the guitar sounded nice and rich when strummed without too much force, but with the low factory action, it didn’t take much to reach the dynamic ceiling, which made its presence known by way of fret buzz when I dug into the strings [NOTE, MINE HAS NO FRET BUZZ, EVEN WITH HEARTY STRUMMING]. I can only guess the volume and tone potential that the guitar’s Adirondack red-spruce top must possess, but I’m certain that higher action would greatly increase the instrument’s dynamic range."
"The Guild’s craftsmanship was impeccable throughout. Whether you’re talking about the fit and finish of internal parts (bonded with hide glue), the “thin as a breath” nitrocellulose finish, or such details as the beautifully compensated bone saddle, this slope-shoulder 12-fret dreadnought left no doubt that Guild is able to hang with the best when it comes to the construction of its instruments.

Overall, the Guild Orpheum 12-fret mahogany dreadnought feels and sounds like a vintage guitar that never existed, melding a cool blend of influences in the process. Guild has created a versatile instrument that’s bound to appeal to individualist players. At a time when few chances are taken with new guitar designs, Guild should be applauded for being willing to depart from its own tradition."

http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/R...rpheum-12-Fret
Old 09-12-2015, 02:20 PM

Weekend trivia: The Orpheum is a Ren Ferguson design. It's his homage to the Roy Smeck Gibsons, but with the best of modern build quality and materials.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:06 PM

A bump for this fine guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars