The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-27-2015, 08:26 PM

Default Build my live rig!!

Okay, I need a little help. I trying to get my rig down to a computer run system but I am not sure where to start. Ideally I would like to use my computer as my mixer with effects. It is a simple one acoustic/one voice system running into a Bose L1 Compact. So, I really don't need anything more than a few inputs on an interface. I am wanting to use the computer to run some backing tracks or other parts while I am playing. At the most I could end up needing 4 inputs on the interface. Anyway, what would be your interface recommendations and which programs are most user friendly to accomplish something like this? I don't have a huge budget, but I don't have to pirate programs either if that helps.

Thanks for all the recommendations and I look forward to the opinions!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 AM

Here's a video/article on the setup that James Nash uses.

http://www.acousticguitar.com/News-F...Real-World-Rig

I don't remember if this is the same artist whose video I saw last year dealing with a complete computer setup for his performance or not, but it does go into detail on the software and hardware.

Most of the computer based rigs that I am more exposed to deal with keyboards, so the consensus among many of them is Focusrite interfaces with Apple Mainstage for controlling the keyboard sounds and using Ableton Live for loops or playing back stuff.

This may just open more questions for you, sorry if it does, or it may start you down the path of enlightenment.

Joe
Old 01-28-2015, 09:12 AM

Are you just going to use backing tracks or actual MIDI to control devices or change things 'on the fly'?
If the computer is just to play back backing tracks and to 'mix' (no effects), you'll do a lot better in not relying on a computer that may crash or freeze up (they ALL do!), using a standard mixer and an MP3 player for the tracks.
IF you do want to use FX in the computer, then you've got to be careful about latency issues - even a short delay can wreak havoc on your playing live.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-29-2015, 04:06 PM

Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to use the computer as the mixer with some effects.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to use the computer as the mixer with some effects.
How much latency are you willing to tolerate?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification