The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-17-2014, 07:10 PM

In that range, also look at the Vox Valvetronix. It is a modeling amp and comes with a lot of features for you to play with. I have the VT40+ and it works well. It also has a lot of preset tones you can use (mimics a standard clean channel, Marshall sound, AC15, AC30, US metal, etc). Also, it has some built in effects like chorus, reverb, delay that you can play with.

Great for practice as it can be set to a low volume and also has a headphone jack. You can also crank it up pretty high for a band or gig setting.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnanasaki View Post
Hum Thanks Fender amp look nice to me but what is the deal of Solid State vs tube amp ???
It's hard to believe that the entire world has moved from analog to digital for communications (i.e. phones, tvs, CDs, internet, etc) but when it comes to amps many guitarists prefer tubes, including myself. They're more fragile than solid state, always a chance to blow a tube during a gig, retubes are required ... but that beautiful overdriven sound of a tube amp does wonders.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:49 PM

A lot of musicians swear by the Fender Mustang series modeling amps. Pretty low cost, great sounds, and plenty of Fender/Marshall/Vox tones.

Or, if you have your heart set on a Marshall, why not look for an 1974x 18 watt clone that can be had used for what you've budgeted.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
There are a few good solid state guitar amps but mostly it's all tube.

Modelling amps use digital signal processing to emulate real amps. You can even get iPhone apps which do the same thing. You'll notice that modelling amps quickly disappear from the catalogues as you move up in price. Tube is the sound they're trying to imitate and so they can only survive at price points below those of traditional tube amps.

There could be a place for a modelling amp if all you want is something quiet to practice on - such as the Yamaha THR10. Are you planning to play in a band?

With a really tight budget, you could consider building your own tube amp. However you'll be dealing with high voltage circuits so you must be 100% confident about your ability to work patiently and meticulously.
My budge will be about under 400$ == so tight .......
Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 AM

Quote:
My budge will be about under 400$ == so tight .......
Hi Ghost - do you have an opportunity to play some $200-$400 amps in a store? That may help you decide what you want to buy. I think something like a Mustang will help you get started - it'll provide a wide variety of tones until you decide what direction you really want in the tube world (i.e. Marshall vs Fender vs Vox vs Mesa, etc).
Old 07-19-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
...Modeling amps use digital signal processing to emulate real amps...Tube is the sound they're trying to imitate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
...when it comes to amps many guitarists prefer tubes, including myself...that beautiful overdriven sound of a tube amp does wonders...
Quote:
My budget will be about under $400...
My thought - do it right the first time:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V5combo/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V22combo/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V55combo/

There are also V22 and V55 demo models (with full factory warranty) available for significantly less money (the V55 demo comes in at just a few dollars above your $400 budget figure - at that price I'd give it serious consideration, and borrow the money if necessary); I've dealt with Sweetwater and they're among the best in the business when it comes to customer service, so I wouldn't worry about ordering one unplayed/unseen...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars