The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 AM

Some kind of Klon clone for my overdrive and semi-clean tones.

A couple of years back, I purchased an Aluminum Falcon 1 "Klon Klone" from Piedmont Custom Electronics.

I loved it so much that I bought two more!

It's one pedal that I would not want to be without - especially when playing a Stratocaster. I don't miss the AF1 as much when I'm playing a guitar with humbuckers.

BTW, the EH Soul Food is a great Klon Klone and only $68.

I have two pedals on my "everyday" pedal board: An AF1 and a EH Memory Man.

My EH Memory Man is the other pedal I wouldn't want to be without. Got two of those.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 07-08-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
I just looked on EBay, there are bunches of RV-3's for sale from $100-$150... this pedal looks really interesting, as does the Strymon Flint... decisions decisions... used RV-3 = much less money. Anyone tried both?
i have strymon pedals and love them. note that the flint is a tremolo and reverb but no delay.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-12-2014, 11:56 AM

Default If only 1 pedal, which effect would you choose?

Boss bd2 with Keeley modification.

It does a great OD sound and works amazingly well with my LP with Gib 57 pups. I do a lot of rock/grunge sound (think pearl jam, social distortion, weezer) and its my favorite tone.

It also does well with my Strat for giving it a mild crunch without getting too powerful like my LP.

Martin D-35
Taylor 314ce
Fender Classic Series 60's
Epi LP Tribute Plus
Vox AC15
Vox VT40+
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 07-12-2014, 02:14 PM

If I could only have one pedal it would be my Strymon Timeline, love that thing.
Old 07-12-2014, 03:14 PM

To play around with effects, I got one of these:

Old 07-12-2014, 05:38 PM

Tuner. I could live without my two Tube Screamers, I could even live without my compressor, but I don't think I could play on stage without my strobostomp tuner.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
To play around with effects, I got one of these:
Oh my. That, I like, a lot. $103 from Sweetwater? Hmm....
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-12-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Providing the Amp does not already have one... REVERB.

If the amp did, then an EHX NYC Big Muff. Mild to Wild.
I changed my mind. The iStomp.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 07-12-2014, 06:32 PM

My one indispensable pedal would be the Boss DM2 delay. 30+ yrs old & still good as new, only 3 variables but how they're combined & with what sort of signal (clean/dirty/acoustic & anything in between) produces a more than adequate range of sounds.

I like my RC30 looper but don't consider it to be an effect as much as a very useful performing tool.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
I changed my mind. The iStomp.
Good call. Although it might violate the multi-effect dictum.

I have to say that the majority of the iStomp models I've tried so far have been really rather good.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 AM

Great thread. I am looking to start playing electric and I just don't like all these boards of pedals and boxes, a friend has a synth fitted on his guitar and it just gets too complicated for my tastes compared to more classic electric guitars.

Another friend is looking to sell some of his stuff and has a compressor, overdrive and digital delay on offer. Is a compressor of much benefit?

Is there a site anywhere which will let you easily tell what effects are used by any given band or song... E.g. I could look up what would be needed to sound like Oasis in Definitely Maybe, or Weezer, or Linkin Park, or older things like Johnny be Good?
Old 07-15-2014, 11:43 AM

When I played lead guitar in rock bands, the one effect I always had with me was delay. The only other thing I ever used was wah.

eighth note or quarter note delays always make leads sound bigger.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 07-16-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Great thread. I am looking to start playing electric and I just don't like all these boards of pedals and boxes, a friend has a synth fitted on his guitar and it just gets too complicated for my tastes compared to more classic electric guitars.

Another friend is looking to sell some of his stuff and has a compressor, overdrive and digital delay on offer. Is a compressor of much benefit?

Is there a site anywhere which will let you easily tell what effects are used by any given band or song... E.g. I could look up what would be needed to sound like Oasis in Definitely Maybe, or Weezer, or Linkin Park, or older things like Johnny be Good?
IMO the compressor is only beneficial if you are playing in a band. If you are just noodling around at home then it's not beneficial at all. But a good compressor will allow you to control your attack and volume on stage so that you don't blow the doors down nor hide any subtleties. It maintains a range of constant volume and as such gives you good sustain. In a band when it's your solo and the band quiets down just a bit then it's like you have a huge presence then when the band kicks in again you don't get hidden. It's hard to explain but the compressor is a very subtle effect that makes big differences in not so glamorous way.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

I've always loved a little chorus, but I think my one keeper pedal would be a delay.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
IMO the compressor is only beneficial if you are playing in a band. If you are just noodling around at home then it's not beneficial at all. But a good compressor will allow you to control your attack and volume on stage so that you don't blow the doors down nor hide any subtleties. It maintains a range of constant volume and as such gives you good sustain. In a band when it's your solo and the band quiets down just a bit then it's like you have a huge presence then when the band kicks in again you don't get hidden. It's hard to explain but the compressor is a very subtle effect that makes big differences in not so glamorous way.
Thanks - I know what a compressor does as I heard a DJ discuss how they're used in radio so that whether they whisper or SHOUT you hear it at a similar volume. So a guitar compressor serves exactly the same purpose, so as you change effects with different levels you don't deafen everyone?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars