The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Default Telecasters - what's the appeal?

I've never played a Tele or Tele inspired model before. I'm noticing a lot of players I admire like this style guitar.

Just curious what makes the Tele so desirable?
Old 12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

The tele has its own sound and gives you much more of a "pop" to the notes over a strat, though they can both sound similar in the right hands and with the same amp. I personally prefer the tele because I like the tone it produces with my setup.

Todd
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 PM

What's not to like? a good tele is lightweight (for a solidbody), good for various styles of music, easy to use (no extra knobs or switches here) and good looking to boot.

Plus they're easily customized and serviced. Leo got it rigjt the first time...the only solid body electric I'll ever need.

Mr. B (tele fan since 1996)

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-09-2012, 11:48 PM

Personally, I feel you don't "get" Telecasters until you've played one for a few years. When I first got mine, back in 1970, I thought it a very limited guitar compared to a Gibson SG, for example. Boy, was I ever wrong! What was limited was my imagination.
What makes Telecasters unique is the poetic economy of the design. There's absolutely nothing there that you don't need... but everything that you do need. The pickup design is such that they have remarkable high fidelty all the way up the harmonic overtone series, and that enables you to pop artificial harmonics all over the neck (once you've mastered the techniques) more effectively on a Telecaster than just about any other electric. And the copper backing plate soldered to the base of the bridge pickup saturates those overtones like crazy (once you learn to incorporate that into your sound).
Since the volume and tone controls operate on both pickups, the Telecaster allows the player to hook his pinky over the volume pot and do volume swells whenever he pleases. In the hands of a master, like Roy Buchanan, you could swear the guitar was actually crying.
Finally, it's simply the most roadworthy guitar ever built. They stand up to wear, punishment and abuse better than any guitar I know of. As Robbie Robertson once said: "Telecasters are so tough you could pound nails with them." While I wouldn't recommend it, it wouldn't surprise me if you could.

Last edited by zabdart; 12-10-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 01:46 AM

Compared to Stratocasters....

Fewer different options in terms of pickup combinations, so, at first glance it might seem there is a smaller range of tones possible. Strats ARE very versatile, but the tone knob on a Tele has a much bigger effect, so in fact you almost certainly have a wider range of tones on a Tele, ranging from VERY bright (twangy perhaps?) to very mellow.

A Tele is a very lively, responsive, resonant instrument. And with the proper settings, it can have a remarkably acoustic-like sound.

And a Tele unplugged is a surprisingly satisfying instrument to play for those times when you have to be very quiet but want to play anyway!

If you have not done so already, take a look at the forums on http://www.tdpri.com .... a GREAT forum (with a lot in common with AGF, except focused on electric guitars mostly, and Teles especially).
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 AM
Guest 429

Plug one in and start playing some rhythm.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 AM

Twang. That's what.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

All of the above and more.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

I just bought a Tele-like guitar, a Carvin AE185, that also came with a Piezo. While not a "true" two single-coil Tele (it has two humbuckers), this one sounds excellent, is very light (about 6 1/2 lbs). I can split the humbuckers individually and get all the way from strong rock to funky country. As others have said, they are a very versatile instrument.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-10-2012, 03:28 PM

Can't answer that. For me there is none, but it's because of my dislike for the way they play. Let me quickly add that I'm only commenting on the ones I've played. They were all rather stiff and uncooperative, as opposed to the PRS guitars I prefer.
Having said that, I enjoy the way they sound as played by a Gatton or any number of Tele Masters. The success of the Tele confirms it's a great guitar, just not great for everybody.
This is a perfect answer to why they make different guitar designs.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-10-2012, 03:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=y9WX_tUvZpU
Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say "history". Strat's, Tele's, and Les Paul's are pretty much a must for every collection.

Last edited by SSgt93; 12-10-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Can't answer that. For me there is none, but it's because of my dislike for the way they play. Let me quickly add that I'm only commenting on the ones I've played. They were all rather stiff and uncooperative, as opposed to the PRS guitars I prefer.
Having said that, I enjoy the way they sound as played by a Gatton or any number of Tele Masters. The success of the Tele confirms it's a great guitar, just not great for everybody.
This is a perfect answer to why they make different guitar designs.
Fender's specs certainly make it a little more difficult to play than it needs to be. Between the narrow spacing and low radius, just about anything plays easier.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildog View Post
Great picture of Keith!

Here's another when he was young and creating great new music - "Exile on Main Street," to be precise:

I like Stratocasters, Telecasters, 335s, PRSes, Les Pauls, and others ... and so do many of the great guitarists that we like. Different strokes, and all that.

I own a guitar.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM

Keith remains UNDEAD. Isn't that AMAZING?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars