The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM

Default Taylor koa questions

I am expecting my new Taylor GA-K tomorrow and I can hardly wait. Since ordering it I have been pouring through the posts here and have been learning a lot about Taylors and many of the different series and models.

My first question is this...what corresponding model number would this equate to, if any? For example, the GA comes with various numbers behind it, eg. GA4, GA5, 6, 7, 8, etc. The Koa just says GAK. Where would this fit in on the scale of GA models...fair, good, better, best?

Also, there is a post in the general forum about Koa being a bit too bright/harsh in the beginning. Having owned a Taylolr solid Koa in the past ( late 80's model), which was very open, am I going to be shocked or dissppointed by the brightness? How long do they take to "open up"? I play an hour or so per day, which is all my fingers will allow for now.

Thanks and happy trails..........
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Ga-k

Congrats on the incoming GA-K!

I'm a big fan of koa and since yours is brand new, it will have to be played in anyway. Years ago I almost bought a K14, which was the previous model designation. My recollection was it was considered to be between the 8 and 9 series. They used to come with either a cedar or Englemann Spruce top; what is yours?
Old 08-31-2010, 11:26 AM

Indigo,

First (and most importantly), congratulations on your new guitar. May you have many, many happy years with it.

I wouldn't worry about where it fits in Taylor's standard line-up, because it's a non-standard guitar. The numbers after the GA simply indicate which woods the guitar is made from. For example, a GA3 is made from sapele, GA4 from ovangkol, GA5 from mahogany, GA6 from maple, GA7 from rosewood (cedar top), and GA8 from rosewood (spruce top). To say that a GA-K guitar fits in between any two standard lineups is purely a matter of opinion and conjecture.

An interesting thing about koa that's different from just about all other tonewoods is that it's very unpredictable: meaning that koa on one guitar might sound vastly different from koa on an identical-looking guitar. So, to say that koa sounds overly bright or harsh in the beginning is a generalization that I think doesn't necessarily apply to your guitar. No, you won't necessarily be disappointed by the brightness. When koa opens up, it tends to develop some gorgeous bottom end with overtones and even more clarity. And many koa owners are so struck by the beauty of their guitars that they won't own anything else.

Because koa is so variable from one guitar to the next, it's impossible to say how long it will take to open up. There's no rule about such things where koa is concerned.

Don't be worried, Indigo. Your guitar will likely be spectacular.

- '21 Goodall GC redwood/Macassar ebony
- '17 Taylor K14-BE
- '21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
- '18 Taylor 114ce
- '15 Martin uke

Last edited by DennisG; 08-31-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake17 View Post
Congrats on the incoming GA-K!

I'm a big fan of koa and since yours is brand new, it will have to be played in anyway. Years ago I almost bought a K14, which was the previous model designation. My recollection was it was considered to be between the 8 and 9 series. They used to come with either a cedar or Englemann Spruce top; what is yours?
It has a spruce top, my thoughts are that the spruce top will help provide the volume which was a wee bit lacking in the GC all Koa. I guess I will know what I need to know tomorrow afternoon after the guitar arrives and after I have had a chance to play it awhile. I purchased it form Jim at GR and I feel comfortable about his return and gaurantee policies.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisG View Post
Indigo,

First (and most importantly), congratulations on your new guitar. May you have many, many happy years with it.

I wouldn't worry about where it fits in Taylor's standard line-up, because it's a non-standard guitar. The numbers after the GA simply indicate which woods the guitar is made from. For example, a GA3 is made from sapele, GA4 from ovangkol, GA5 from mahogany, GA6 from maple, GA7 from rosewood (cedar top), and GA8 from rosewood (spruce top). To say that a GA-K guitar fits in between any two standard lineups is purely a matter of opinion and conjecture.

An interesting thing about koa that's different from just about all other tonewoods is that it's very unpredictable: meaning that koa on one guitar might sound vastly different from koa on an identical-looking guitar. So, to say that koa sounds overly bright or harsh in the beginning is a generalization that I think doesn't necessarily apply to your guitar. No, you won't necessarily be disappointed by the brightness. When koa opens up, it tends to develop some gorgeous bottom end with overtones and even more clarity. And many koa owners are so struck by the beauty of their guitars that they won't own anything else.

Because koa is so variable from one guitar to the next, it's impossible to say how long it will take to open up. There's no rule about such things where koa is concerned.

Don't be worried, Indigo. Your guitar will likely be spectacular.
Thanks Dennis,

I guess it is like awaiting the arrival of a mail order bride (in my case groom) It all sounds good on paper and the photos are beautiful. It's just a matter of meeting to see if the chemistry is there.

Currently there isn't a single GAK to be found in Az, the nearest one was in TX. Just a little to far to travel and play. Jim at Guitar Rodeo had one and so that is where I got it. I am just experiencing a case of the jitters I suppose. I will let you all know how it sounds and feels when it arrives tomorrow.

Happy trails......
Old 08-31-2010, 12:32 PM

Indigo,

I think describing a koa guitar as similar to a mail-order bride is a very good analogy, because you never know what you're going to get with either until you've lived with them for awhile.

A lot of very experienced guitar players consider koa to be the riskiest of all the tonewoods because of its unpredictability: you just never know if the guitar you buy will sound dull and lifeless or stunningly vibrant. That's why most people will insist on first playing the very guitar they intend to buy -- as opposed to another one that appears to be similar. But the beauty of your purchase is that, even though you bought it mail-order, you can return it if it's not satisfactory. You can't beat that.

Hopefully, once you open that case tomorrow, take your gorgeous new guitar in your hands and strum a few chords, you'll realize that all your worry was for naught.

Let us know how it works out.

- '21 Goodall GC redwood/Macassar ebony
- '17 Taylor K14-BE
- '21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
- '18 Taylor 114ce
- '15 Martin uke
Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisG View Post
Indigo,

I think describing a koa guitar as similar to a mail-order bride is a very good analogy, because you never know what you're going to get with either until you've lived with them for awhile.

A lot of very experienced guitar players consider koa to be the riskiest of all the tonewoods because of its unpredictability: you just never know if the guitar you buy will sound dull and lifeless or stunningly vibrant. That's why most people will insist on first playing the very guitar they intend to buy -- as opposed to another one that appears to be similar. But the beauty of your purchase is that, even though you bought it mail-order, you can return it if it's not satisfactory. You can't beat that.

Hopefully, once you open that case tomorrow, take your gorgeous new guitar in your hands and strum a few chords, you'll realize that all your worry was for naught.

Let us know how it works out.
I suppose another analogy would be the "Life is like a box of chocolates...." from Forrest Gump.

I am sure it will be fine, Jim test drove it for me and said it sounded great! So there, it must sound great then!
Old 08-31-2010, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

within the GA model line, koa falls between the
800 & 900 series (in terms of $ & appointments)

out of all the koa grand auditoriums i've played &
owned, to my ear, i think that koa falls between
the 500 & 600 series in regards to tone

i've heard koa described as "mahogany with a touch
of maple syrup" - deeper bass & slightly more open
mids than maple but with more clarity, definition &
shimmer than mahogany (kind of a "in-betweener"),
which is pretty much what i hear, as koa is a bit more
dense than mahogany & not quite as "hard" as maple

i have a 97 414K (sitka top, satin finish, pinless bridge)
that had been played in a lot before i ever owned it &,
for me, it's the benchmark when i'm trying out similar guitars

i've heard koa guitars that sound great & some that sound good -
there was no correlation to whether the koa was highly figured or
very plain in appearance (the 414K i have has very little "flame")

however, if jim says it sounds great,
then i believe you'll be happy with it

congrats
Old 08-31-2010, 03:38 PM

Thank you all for the responses. It sets me a little more at ease. I loved my previous Koa and I guess I was a little worried I might be disappointed with a new one. Ya know, maybe placing unrealistic expectations on the new guitar and making irrelevant comparisons with the old one.

The wealth of information posted here is simply amazing. Thanks all for responses and I am sure I will be posting pics and a full sound assesment shortly.

Happy trails..........

ETA Jim at GR was very helpful and even though the deal was done long distance, I felt like we established a rapport and I could easily trust his opinion and advice. I am glad I heard about him through this forum.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:28 PM
*mahoganut*

I had a GC all koa, like you did, and for where I was playing I needed a bit more overall volume and more substantive bass. I found that in the x14 series - first coco which had too many overtones and finally with mahogany.

Along the way I'd played a K14 so many times I had my own parking meter in front of the store* so my personal expectations are that you will love it right out of the box and it will continue to grow on you.

I'd suggest consideration of a bone saddle from Bob Colosi at some point - but I also suggest you wait until you "fix" the tone that you have in your mind (trying different strings, techniques, etc.). I put a bone saddle on my GC all koa after about a year, and it "bloomed" - but it was continuing to sound better and better each month anyway.

Looking forward to the pictures! Yes - Jim is a great guy to talk guitar and do business with!

Phil

*slight exaggeration!
Old 08-31-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
I had a GC all koa, like you did, and for where I was playing I needed a bit more overall volume and more substantive bass. I found that in the x14 series - first coco which had too many overtones and finally with mahogany.

Along the way I'd played a K14 so many times I had my own parking meter in front of the store* so my personal expectations are that you will love it right out of the box and it will continue to grow on you.

I'd suggest consideration of a bone saddle from Bob Colosi at some point - but I also suggest you wait until you "fix" the tone that you have in your mind (trying different strings, techniques, etc.). I put a bone saddle on my GC all koa after about a year, and it "bloomed" - but it was continuing to sound better and better each month anyway.

Looking forward to the pictures! Yes - Jim is a great guy to talk guitar and do business with!

Phil

*slight exaggeration!
So long as you never run out of quarters I guess you are in good shape. Come to think of it, the old Koa I had was set up with bone saddle and nut from the previous owner. It did sing!
Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 PM

Indigocowgirl,
I know the guitar you bought ! I had my eye on it for a while and finally decided to go through Jim on a BTO GAK. I also love koa, (had an all koa 324LTD) and I am not dissappointed with my GAK at all. Even with it being only a few months old I love the sound and expect to more when it opens up over time. I'll bet you will have no regrets. Give us a shout and let us know tomorrow.
1967 Harmony Classical
Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Lover View Post
Indigocowgirl,
I know the guitar you bought ! I had my eye on it for a while and finally decided to go through Jim on a BTO GAK. I also love koa, (had an all koa 324LTD) and I am not dissappointed with my GAK at all. Even with it being only a few months old I love the sound and expect to more when it opens up over time. I'll bet you will have no regrets. Give us a shout and let us know tomorrow.
I am glad to hear that you are happy with your BTO GAK and that you left the Koa for me I think I am going to be a very happy cowgirl tomorrow. The hard part is going to be the waiting. Our UPS guy often doen't come hear until after 6:00 sometimes.

What specifically did you have done differently with your GAK? Do you have pics?

Thanks for the endorsement
Old 08-31-2010, 08:23 PM

congratulations on your new guitar! i bet all that waiting for that guitar to show up at your front door is killing! no doubt u'll be pleased with it for sure!

the koa series would be somewhere in the 800-900 series in terms of price and appointments. i believe it also has the CV bracing which is used on the koa, PS, 800 & 900 series. this bracing does sound better to my ears as compared to the Forward Shifted II bracing on the other standard models.

i find the sound of koa very balance across all strings...add that to the GA body shape and i think you have a well rounded instrument for most applications!

post some pictures when you get it all of us here would wanna see pictures of koa!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 08-31-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigocowgirl View Post
I am expecting my new Taylor GA-K tomorrow and I can hardly wait. Since ordering it I have been pouring through the posts here and have been learning a lot about Taylors and many of the different series and models.

My first question is this...what corresponding model number would this equate to, if any? For example, the GA comes with various numbers behind it, eg. GA4, GA5, 6, 7, 8, etc. The Koa just says GAK. Where would this fit in on the scale of GA models...fair, good, better, best?

Also, there is a post in the general forum about Koa being a bit too bright/harsh in the beginning. Having owned a Taylolr solid Koa in the past ( late 80's model), which was very open, am I going to be shocked or dissppointed by the brightness? How long do they take to "open up"? I play an hour or so per day, which is all my fingers will allow for now.

Thanks and happy trails..........
Congrats on the Koa! You are going to love it! Oh and photos please when you receive it!

-Dave
2010 Kentucky Mandolin

Guitars of the past: Alvarez AD60, 2007 Taylor 110ce, 2006 Taylor 710ce, Taylor 2008 GS Fall Ltd, 2010 Taylor 814ce, 2010 Taylor K26ce, 2006 Blueridge BR-361, 2011 GSMini, 1980 Ovation something or othe, Taylor 714cer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion