The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-19-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Clint, I recall your build thread - what a sweet amp! I now more about what those circuit numbers mean now after reading the amp book (i.e. 5E3).

Do you think you'll proceed with the Blackface build? Are you building because you'll think you'll get a better tone over a new reissue or is it because it's fun to build and a sense of pride to play it? I too have thought about getting a kit - might make a good winter project.
I do plan on buying the blackface kit, but it'll be a while. The reverb and tremolo circuits add some complexity, but I'm still looking forward to the build. Yes, there will be another build thread when the time comes. Money is the limiting factor, so I either need to work some more overtime days or wait until next year's tax return. As far as why I like kits, it's mostly because it's fun and rewarding to build my own, and the cost savings is a nice additional benefit too.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I do plan on buying the blackface kit, but it'll be a while. The reverb and tremolo circuits add some complexity, but I'm still looking forward to the build. Yes, there will be another build thread when the time comes. Money is the limiting factor, so I either need to work some more overtime days or wait until next year's tax return. As far as why I like kits, it's mostly because it's fun and rewarding to build my own, and the cost savings is a nice additional benefit too.
When you started your 5E3 kit, did you have any electronics experience or just some soldering experience? From what I read, you really don't need the electronics experience although it'll help with trouble shooting. I've wired in a dozen electric guitar pickups and some pots / wiring schemes but that's all I've done in the electronics world.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:29 AM

I had some experience with rewiring guitars, and had built four pedal kits. Amps are a little easier than pedals; much more room to work with and no PCB's to deal with. There's also a wealth of info online to help out like lots of pictures of built amps to help with layout and wire routing/dressing. Some experience with schematic reading may help, especially with troubleshooting like you said, but my kit came with full color/full scale diagrams so it was basically an exercise in making my chassis and fiberboard look like theirs.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 07-20-2014, 01:08 PM

my first fender was a 66 super reverb that i made payments on until i could take it home and drive my parents and neighbors crazy!!

presently, i use a strat as my workhorse guitar, but also have a tele that i love. but, i also have a les paul and 335 that i love also. it all depends on the sound i'm wanting to achieve.

recently, i purchased a 59 tweed princeton that has become my workhorse amp. i also have a 64 blonde bassman with cab, 67 blackface super reverb, 67 blackface pro reverb, 64 blackface bassman with cab, and, 67 blackface bassman head. i rarely use any of the larger amps as i hurt my back a few years ago and need to borrow my nephew to help bring any of them in from the garage. ha!

years ago, i bought a slew of gibson amps that came from sam hutton who was a cabinet maker for fender.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 AM

I started playing in 1972 or so, when I was 13 years old. My first rig was a Fender Bronco w/ a Champ amp that my folks bought me brand new that year for around if memory serves me correctly, around $200.00 or so, which was quite a bit back then. I had that for many years until around 1993 or so when I sold it so I could get my 1st strat which was a MIM Standard. I had gotten rid of the Champ by then and was using a Marshall combo but don't remember what model it was. I had that MIM model until 2006 when my wife bought me a new 2006 Sunburst with the new upgrades that came out that year. I still have that , and won't get rid of it. I've since installed Fender locking tuners, Graph-Tech bridge saddles & Mint Green Pickguard & Knobs & PUP Covers on it. In 2010 , I bought a used MIA , 60th Anniversary Special Edition Sunburst Model which has a delta tone system and 57/62 pups in it. I play these through a Frontman 65R which I bought in 2010 as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars