The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-21-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Thanks - I know what a compressor does as I heard a DJ discuss how they're used in radio so that whether they whisper or SHOUT you hear it at a similar volume. So a guitar compressor serves exactly the same purpose, so as you change effects with different levels you don't deafen everyone?
More or less yes. But typically the compressor goes at the very beginning of the chain so if your dirt pedal is maxed out on volume then you will still get a boost. But it still manages your guitar output which also affects any of the pedals ahead of them. Some people will use a compressor at the end of the chain but they play clean too. At the end a compressor will enhance all the signals it gets including noise so it's not very common to have one at the end. Here's how Adrian Belew, an avid compressor user, answeres this very same question.

http://www.jacksguitarlessons.com/20...mpressor-talk/

Lelio Padovani: Do you have a piece of equipment that you can’t do without, for your studio or your guitar?

Adrian Belew: Well, I’ll tell you this, with the guitar setup I’ve always had a little compressor [in this case a Keeley]. The first thing my guitar always does, it goes into that little compressor, from there goes into the amp or to the rest of the effects or anything else. I really like that. I think it adds a lot of liveliness to the sound. It makes it juicy. It makes kind of come alive and of course it makes the notes sustain better.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Out of everything I have now, I'd have to say my TC Flashback Delay would be my first pick as an 'only' pedal. It has enough variety on board (including the ability to function as a looper) and when you factor in the TonePrint options, it can cover everything from slapback to gorgeous ambient reverb-like washes.
Says it all for me.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
When I played lead guitar in rock bands, the one effect I always had with me was delay. The only other thing I ever used was wah.

eighth note or quarter note delays always make leads sound bigger.
That's how I use my delay, just a little bit on during my lead solos.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd View Post
Thanks - I know what a compressor does as I heard a DJ discuss how they're used in radio so that whether they whisper or SHOUT you hear it at a similar volume. So a guitar compressor serves exactly the same purpose, so as you change effects with different levels you don't deafen everyone?
A compressor does this - but it is much more than a volume controller. Compression can add sustain, pop and a sweetness that is hard to explain.

It's best to take look at some examples on YouTube. My favourite compressor is the Wampler Ego. Never selling that one.

Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars