The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-30-2012, 09:36 AM

Default Cajon, home made with strings...

Taking a chance here but since I used 6 guitar strings it fits the subforum title...

Built this cajon (box drum with South American origins) over Thanksgiving weekend. About $35 in materials and 10+ hours labor...yes, I'll keep my day job.

I used 7 ply 1/2" Baltic birch for the body, poplar for the inside braces, and 1/8" (3mm) birch soundboard, or tapa. I plan to make a two-sided one (2mm and 3mm tapa) over Christmas...Pics of course.

Hey look! Guitar strings for the snare! adjustable too...

Stained (Kona by Rustoleum...nice color!)

Finished product

with HD28

of course you might want sound bite...sorry folks, I'm not a drummer, my son and daughter had a go with it last night and it sounds really nice...adjusted the snare since this vid was shot.
http://youtu.be/yqUryBWwL8Y
Old 11-30-2012, 10:24 AM

Very nice work! That cajon looks great!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Nice! I wish I had woodworking skills.....I can't even nail straight.
Anyway, my son has a store-bought cajon and I noticed the way the snare strings are setup is different. Is this your own version or something you saw? I imagine there's probably a few ways of doing it.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Nice! I wish I had woodworking skills.....I can't even nail straight.
Anyway, my son has a store-bought cajon and I noticed the way the snare strings are setup is different. Is this your own version or something you saw? I imagine there's probably a few ways of doing it.
I saw someone who used guitar strings online...I just added the adjustability and, my strings are recessed flush with the frame so the tapa also sits flush. I may try a "fan wire" snare for my next build...

Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM

Looks great! Educate me on the cajon, do you top on the top?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Looks great! Educate me on the cajon, do you top on the top?
Nope...you sit on the top and tap, slap, smack, bang the front face (natural colored panel in my photos)...the is called the tapa, it is 1/8" three ply birch. The thinner the better.

Depending on where you play the tapa, you get a different sound from a nice tight snap in the corners progressing to a very deep bass at the center.

Great percussion instrument. I've been having my son and daughter play it as I play guitar. Very versatile, needs a good touch because it can be loud, surprisingly really loud.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB... View Post
Nope...you sit on the top and tap, slap, smack, bang the front face (natural colored panel in my photos)...the is called the tapa, it is 1/8" three ply birch. The thinner the better.

Depending on where you play the tapa, you get a different sound from a nice tight snap in the corners progressing to a very deep bass at the center.

Great percussion instrument. I've been having my son and daughter play it as I play guitar. Very versatile, needs a good touch because it can be loud, surprisingly really loud.

Hope this helps.
I'm glad I asked the question. Not knowing the Cajon, I thought everyone would think "of course you tap the top". Thanks for letting me know it's the front. Makes a lot of sense too.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM

Very nice. I bought a snare cajon a year or so ago from a builder named Newl who sells online. It's a very cool instrument. I play a bit but my son (age 20) is the drummer in the house. He sets it up with an old leather over wood samsonite suitcase he coverted to a kick drum, uses maracas, tambourine and other percussion bits to create a cool kit to use for acoustic jams. Your guitar string snares look like they will work well. Great job on the bulid and enjoy it....
Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I'm glad I asked the question. Not knowing the Cajon, I thought everyone would think "of course you tap the top". Thanks for letting me know it's the front. Makes a lot of sense too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE0t0PNGTQA
Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Great looking cajon! Wish I could build one...and I know nothing about woodwork.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-25-2015, 03:43 AM

Default Guitar strings producing note rather than snare effect

I know that this is an old thread, but in case you're still checking and can offer any advice...

I've made a similar cajon to yours using guitar strings, but I'm finding that sometimes when I slap the front I get a "note" from the guitar strings (like they've been plucked!) rather than a snare effect. Any ideas? Do you they need to be tighter? Looser?

Thanks! And BTW I love the look of yours :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments