The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Paul Simon's Petros Guitar

I was reading in the recent guitar afficianado magazine about Bruce and Matt Petros building a GC Dwende guitar for Paul Simon.

Here's a link to a photo

http://www.petrosguitars.com/

Photo Journal of the build for Paul Simon.

http://petrosguitars.zenfolio.com/p595525743

I thought this was cool that Mr. Simon ordered a guitar from them. I can attest that Petros guitars are 2nd to none.

Their arched top design is facinating to me when I look at mine. What ever they are doing it works their guitars sound incredible!! I recently had my GC in the shop at Gryphon to have a fret job done and the guys there said they had never seen a guitar with such a thin top and they were perplexed by how thin it was in fact.

Here's more info from their features section about their tops:

"The Pre-stressed arched top is responsible for the ringing, sustaining trebles as well as increased stability. The braces of a Petros guitar are shaped to a 30 foot radius and glued to the top that is placed on a concave work board in a vacuum press. Flexing a saw blade raises its pitch. This is the same principal with Petros guitar tops. The fundamental trebles sing clearly as well as the enhanced set of overtones over the full range of the instrument. You get the full potential of each string. Increased stability is another benefit of the arched top. Being pushed up with the arched braces prevents the top from going up any further. At the same time, this arch works just like a car bridge and resists going down. Flat tops have the latitude to go up and down with temperature and humidity changes ..... and they do! This arch is also designed to allow the fret board to go up that ramp at the body. No drop-off fret boards as seen on many flat tops.

The Graduated top makes for more bass. Petros Guitars meticulously thin the top around the edge which acts just like the soft surround on a speaker. This enables the top to move more easily as a whole creating big basses.

Symmetrical bracing makes for equal stress on the top. The bass strings don't have less tension on them to lower the pitch .... they just add more mass with the windings. The tension on each string is quite equal. Making one side of the top looser and the other tighter for bass and treble production is counterproductive. We believe asymmetric bracing creates undue tension and this is what we try to eliminate so the top is freer to vibrate. We see the guitar top as a speaker. Speakers are always symmetrical and produce a wide range of tones."

Anyway I just thought I'd share because their hasn't been a Petros thread in a while on here.

Last edited by SuperB23; 05-31-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the interesting post. Paul Simon's guitar looks beautiful.

- Glenn
Old 05-31-2012, 12:09 PM

Very clean work from the Petros clan. I would love to get my hands on one of their guitars someday...
Old 05-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Mark Stewart, a member of Paul's band has used a Petros on stage and that's where the motivation to get one came from. Mark and Bruce Petros go back many years.

My Petros has gone away to have the top cracks repaired again. They were badly repaired when the original owner took the guitar to his local shop after dropping it. Having paid over $12,000, you would have thought he might have looked for the best person to trust his guitar with, particularly here in England! Graham Wheeler has it now, through Trevor at TAMCO in Brighton. Probably 8-12 weeks before I'll see it again, but it will be fine thereafter.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 06-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Wow, what a great photo journal, enjoyed that!

Paul Simon's go-to guitar is not exactly a name brand, what is it?

The Petros makes me want one. I wonder if the arch top is on all of their models. I'd like to hear one.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Yes the archtop and all the other features on their features page have been included in all the Petros guitars they build for sometime. Mine is a 2004 and it has them all. If you get a chance to play one do it even if you have to drive a ways to try one out! They are quite spectacular.

I think Paul Simon has played a Martin a limited edition signature model a lot when playing live lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
Wow, what a great photo journal, enjoyed that!

Paul Simon's go-to guitar is not exactly a name brand, what is it?

The Petros makes me want one. I wonder if the arch top is on all of their models. I'd like to hear one.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:03 PM

And FWIW, I received an email today from Petros Guitars saying that as of July 1st, they will offer two pricing levels...Deluxe Edition at $18,000 and Studio Edition at $15,000..plus premium for select back and side woods. Hard to imagine that it would cost me $18,000 to replicate my FS Celt, but I guess that's what it is!!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Its a pretty big jump but they are on the same level as Ryans and a lot of other builders priced similarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
And FWIW, I received an email today from Petros Guitars saying that as of July 1st, they will offer two pricing levels...Deluxe Edition at $18,000 and Studio Edition at $15,000..plus premium for select back and side woods. Hard to imagine that it would cost me $18,000 to replicate my FS Celt, but I guess that's what it is!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion