The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-21-2017, 08:53 PM

Default Some options for Binding/Purfling Finish

I am curious about some options/methods involving binding/purfling finishing.

I am about to begin the binding (rosewood) process with wood b/w/b side and top purfling on an archtop. The finish will be pale amber french polish.

Typically I assume one wood finish the entire guitar and then scrape off the finish on the binding/purfling to retain the original color.
Or perhaps leave it as is, if you are happy with the finished tone.
Since the guitar will be blonde I would like to keep the "white" in the purfling for contrast.
But I also think I would need to at least seal the binding.

My thoughts are I could seal the binding and purfling after scraping with a very clear finish which may not alter the color that much comparably.
Any advice on those finishes?
Or I could tape off the purfling, trickier but doable?
Is the finish ledge a concern as far as the finish thickness and non finished areas?

Would appreciate some experienced thoughts.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:33 PM

Typically for "plain" finishes with no added color, the entire body is finished as a unit and whatever slight coloring is imparted to the binding or purfling is not considered a problem. If the binding is wood, almost any common finish is going to darken it a bit. The only time to worry about binding or purfling is if you are using a darkish stain like a sunburst or something. If you want to keep the binding a different color (clear that is), then the technique is to either scrape it back after finishing or to mask it. In either case you'll have a "ledge" which needs to be finished with clear and then sanded flush with the main body finish to get them even. Never done this with shellac.... I've done it many times with lacquer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair